Shed build, many many questions...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some random no brand (Chinese origin) membrane I bought for something else years ago and forgot about, is there any reason not to use this? It seems to do the job, left the tap on it for a few minutes and the water didn’t get through.

66582A39-7DF5-4B63-B01E-1C2F0A78D760.jpeg

If leaving any time the put a ridge pole up to drain off water.

A bit of 4x2 in the workmate in the middle would do too.

Good call, I’ll do that. Although that tarp is full of holes, eBay seller refunded it though so can’t complain and don’t feel bad about stapling it. Have a better one I can put over once the boards are on the roof.

Hardly necessary to use it but I’m really liking this thing Father Christmas brought for me

56466D42-B3B0-4DC0-BA04-A05CE0AFFE03.jpeg

Thinking about going for a darker colour, might be able to get away with cheaper cladding if it doesn’t have to be pretty.

View attachment 142978

Wife isn’t sure
BLACK! 😅

I think it's a good tactic to paint a cheaper wood. Doesn't have to be black though, there are some really nice colours available. The bluey grey ones are really popular at moment and they look great.

Just priced up UPVC facias - £400! Think I could get it down a little bit elsewhere but I wasn’t anticipating paying anything like that. I would simply fold over the rubber like @Fitzroy did, looks great, but I’ve always planned on having a gutter on this (I plan to chuck sheet materials behind it as much as anything). So I might get a hop on to sort out the cladding so I can use this for the facias, or maybe figure out a way to put a kerb around the edge with the EPDM, I’m not sure how the manufactured kerbs would look if I did it fitz style.

Just priced up UPVC facias - £400! Think I could get it down a little bit elsewhere but I wasn’t anticipating paying anything like that. I would simply fold over the rubber like @Fitzroy did, looks great, but I’ve always planned on having a gutter on this (I plan to chuck sheet materials behind it as much as anything). So I might get a hop on to sort out the cladding so I can use this for the facias, or maybe figure out a way to put a kerb around the edge with the EPDM, I’m not sure how the manufactured kerbs would look if I did it fitz style.
Price of oil....

I could wrap the existing facia edge in lead for less money. Might look nice? Looks like approx £150? How to join it...more learning. It's an idea anyway.

Managed to get the roof and wall panels on over the weekend (only had about a day after other commitments)

I’m wondering about cladding just 3 sides, do people just leave the Tyvek or can anyone recommend a (cheap) non-combustible cladding?

39F554FD-D7A7-4703-A2AA-4223C42B56F4.jpeg

4D1141CD-5D67-47F0-B189-7892D26200F1.jpeg

Tyvek would get ripped eventually.
UV will also damage it.
I think I’ll have to find something like Hardieboard or Cedral, but it’s not easy (cheap) to get hold of in small quantities and I don’t really want to use it for the whole shed. Found some larch cladding nearby, but it’s finding time to go and have a look, I’m away overnight with work almost every day for 3 weeks now. Can’t decide if I should go vertical or horizontal with the cladding but I don’t really want any joints and I can’t find lengths over 3.6m so that’s probably the answer. The waste from doing it vertically will do the eaves and windows. Need to get the roof on before it gets too cold - 4deg for the rubber. Might just buy it and leave it overhanging until I figure out a facia. Only have a temporary door/hatch.

Just reached the realisation that the easy bit is over.

The good news is it’s dried out nicely and only 1/7 neighbours have commented (nothing negative).

Got a discount code for the rubber roof from Ali Dymock from YouTube who has a great series on building a garden room

Result! Will get it ordered tomorrow.

Tyvek (type stuff) went on today, after routing out the window, which was going well until the bit lost its bearing

Added a small radius on all the sharp edges while I had the router out to avoid any tears.

Great fun putting that on in the wind and rain!

07472137-A5B3-4573-9B28-79958303EB77.jpeg

16536629-7BF1-45F1-9213-ED69960B8A93.jpeg

7A855901-0A73-451E-A617-41D41BE9CA3F.jpeg

Back