Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Alternatives to Birch Ply for Workshop Drawers etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chris70

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Jacob.

Wow! Just looked at Cutlist - an impressive price list, in terms of choice. Don't know with whom I should compare prices offering similar quality.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I remember Barry Bucknell. Do you remember Kenny Everett's DIY sketches?

Your feedback is appreciated. I'll look at 'CutList'. So you've been over the pond to visit material in 'Home Depot' and the like. Do you know if the Russian material is superior to the Chinese? Just wondered!

Chris
There are Barry Bucknell videos on YouTube - what was really funny was the part-sawn timber - he'd get a board and go to saw it but it had already been cut about two-thirds of the way through so he only sawed a small bit!

My contact was through work with Lowes in the US - putting their catalog and weekly offers content online in an early online shop project, back in about 2003/4.

I've used Cutlist for furniture projects - tables - which were just finished with clear OSMO top oil - the ply was better than any I've seen elsewhere - I went to collect it, factory is on a farm and has some very smart CNC and cutting machines.

Certainly the Russian ply I've bought from a supplier in Coventry is better than the Chinese stuff they also sell - I've only bought 12 or 18mm in Birch ply.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are using metal drawer slides I can't see why good clear softwood isn't satisfactory. With drawer slides it isn't going to take much wear.

John

JoeSheffer

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are using metal drawer slides I can't see why good clear softwood isn't satisfactory. With drawer slides it isn't going to take much wear.

John
Yeh you're right... just the whole unit is already made of birch ply and wanted it to all look nice and tidy. Moisture resistant MDF finished with some kind of polyurethane would do fine as well.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Point taken Joe. I am just about ready to get my new bench under weigh.
(Way!) I'm going to put four drawers underneath and I decided to use some Douglas Fir for the linings. I already have the material so the cost isn't going to figure. Just the Leckie bill for my bandsaw! Cheers.
John

Latest posts