Birch ply alternative ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
👋

I bought some Malay Eucalyptus hardwood ply from a local wood merchant to build some workshop cabinets and after cutting them down more I realised, well the quality is a bit meh. Although the faces arnt to bad the edges tend to look a bit rubbish and wouldn’t use it for much to be honest.

So what kinds of plywood are good to look at now to take its place of Birch in affordability and looks? If anyone has direct links to sells/products in the London area would be a bonus.

Cheers
Az

Ah I tried searching but that didn’t come up. Will check it out thanks

I guess Im not actually looking for a Birch alternative (even though my title says 😅) but rather a cheaper plywood that can be used for general projects such as workshop cabinets, jigs, tool holders etc.

I went a brought some general purpose ply but realising the stuff I got is really bad. My advice would to NOT ever buy Malay eucalyptus faced hardwood ply as this stuff is horrible and smells toxic. Not sure if that's what this type of wood smells like but its very bad. Also the ply layer quality is terrible and the edges tear a lot.

Why is the glue green? Moisture resistant?

So rather I am looking for decent quality general purpose plywood for everyday workshop things.

IMG_3310.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG

Last edited:
Metsa spruce plywood might be a good option. Not an alternative to birch as it's construction grade but might be better than what you've had and has a certain industrial aesthetic. Probably about half the price of birch and the viable Birch alternatives (Garnica maple, maple faced poplar etc.)
Or OSB?

Back