A birch ply alternative found?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

My local timber yard obviously can't supply baltic birch plywood at the moment. Asking them about alternatives that are pretty and consistent enough for furniture where the ply cross section is exposed they've offered the below. Anyone know anything about this? Visually, it looks good to me from the pictures. I'm going to order one of the poplar boards to test.

View attachment 150775

Thanks,
Ben.
If you are happy with bb/bb grade if you try J Guard and sons or Lathams they have stock, well they did a few weeks ago.
I had to make a quite large run of cabinets in ply, found the poplar a little soft, the grade I used does have plugs to one side but just made sure that was not seen.

Ah, yes, normal ply can be found for those prices or better at a local yard. It's the fancy STRETEK that's a bit pricey if you need it to be a birch ply exposed furniture grade substitute that looks as good as the baltic stuff.

STRETEK do now have a birch faced option as well as the poplar wchi they didn't when I bought the first sheet.

At some point I'll certainly try the STRETEK birch faced ply.

Is it just Birch ply causing people supply issues ? I am finding the quality of C16 and C24 is getting dire, probably ok for site builders but when it is twisted more than 10 degrees or bowed by 3 inches to me it is scrap.

Is it just Birch ply causing people supply issues ? I am finding the quality of C16 and C24 is getting dire, probably ok for site builders but when it is twisted more than 10 degrees or bowed by 3 inches to me it is scrap.
Yeap most us half in growth ring rubbish. The CLS us still ok, as I expect is anything above 6 inches. You could rip some 8x2 into 4x2 if you really wanted too..

Back