Campervan cabinetry - ply & MDF novice Q's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to vehicle weight from a gov perspective, it's only a medium wheel base and way off the 3.5t mark at this stage, so it's more fuel economy which is a concern. My father is an engineer for an airline and reckons it doesn't affect it too much as these are delivery vans designed to be stocked up, but i can't find any raw data.

I only mentioned the 3.05t figure as it possibly affects your driving licence and the majority are kept at or below that figure, my motorhome for example is 3.85t and I therefore have to have cat C, my son doesn't so can't drive it.
Your vehicle will be plated somewhere on the bodywork, e.g. door pillar, engine compartment and very likely well below 3.5t, it will also be on your V5c doc and if you're pulled over it's that information the police will look at and check against actual weight from their weighbridge. Even if you uprate tyres and suspension you must apply for a revised V5c from the DVLA to comply with the law. Also if you haven't informed your insurance company you will be classed as uninsured as well as overloaded. Your insurance company small print always says any modifications or changes must be notified asap.

Can't help with the paint, sorry.

The weight limit is not optional. Your van will have a plate on it that gives max payload and max payload for each axle.
Yeap brown pants when you find your van is posted at 4.1t!! At least it's got the heavy duty springs!!

Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to post this!

I've started a campervan conversion project, and am currently considering my options for the kitchen cabinets, upper cabinet and seating. Two main methods that seem to be used are MDF an ply but each have draw backs and i was hoping some more experienced folks than me can help give me some advice.

My first idea was to use laminated ply and keep the edges exposed deliberately like below. I plan to carry a lot of gear in my van and the last thing I want is damage to paint so this seems the most durable option. However there's a huge ply shortage here from what I know, especially for birch ply so there's a waiting game involved. I have a basic MFT table setup with a Makita track saw which should work well for this. My question for this option is birch vs poplar. Poplar seems to be a common choice on campers for it's weight, but I don't know much about it's structure and am aware some plys don't have nice laminate for exposed cross cuts. Would I notice a difference on the edging between these two products?

If I use MDF I need to paint the entire cabinets, and the longevity of the finish bothers me. From what I've read the most durable finish, and what a pro kitchen maker would do, is a proper spray job with a hardener. But i've not done this before - I don't even own a spray setup - so this seems a big leap to bank on. Am I missing another option here to make MDF painting ultra durable?

As a final note; weight is an issue for the options, but I'm debating how much of an issue. Fuel economy something to consider but just how much it's affected is so hard to calculate.

Thanks so much!
A neighbour of mine used plywood and ripped it out and used aluminium framing as it was lighter an gave more under seat space.

I helped a friend out with a conversion, we used a lightweight ply and i 'air framed' it, well thats what it was called from my exhibition days.

Ie on a 600x900 unit side i cut out 400x600 square inside to leave the frame (simplified explanation) you can leave cross members and parts as desired.

For the ply end grain, You can buy ply edging to iron on to make anything look like good quality pre finished ply.

As others mention keep the weight down and low and you'l be fine, most Van's are MADE for carrying material round in ;)

I can't offer any advise on kitting out a campervan or which ply/MDF materials, I was just interested in reading the replies and thought I might throw in Melamine/linoleum as a durable finish. There is a three part YouTube video from a (I think) UKWS member on constructing and edging laminate pieces. Just a thought to kick about or kick out.
Carmonius Finsnickeri

I can't offer any advise on kitting out a campervan or which ply/MDF materials, I was just interested in reading the replies and thought I might throw in Melamine/linoleum as a durable finish. There is a three part YouTube video from a (I think) UKWS member on constructing and edging laminate pieces. Just a thought to kick about or kick out.
Carmonius Finsnickeri

Thanks, yes the melamine is the laminate option I've mentioned; it would be a laminated section of melamine (or other brandname product - egger do some great options)

Thanks for replies everyone. Don't want to get too distracted regarding weight; in short I'm nowhere near max payload. It's also not worth registering as a camper with DVLA and hardly anyone does that anymore; it's rarely ever approved these days (theres freedom of info requests online showing they reject i believe well over 90%) and they make you jump through too many hoops; not worth it. My thinking was in terms of fuel economy. My father is an engineer for an airline and deals with a lot of this stuff - he keeps telling me it doesn't matter with modern vans but i still know it would surely affect economy in some way, it's just how much. I can't do any calcs because there are so many variables.

The main issue is my choice of materials

There is a company that sells lightweight plywood and other composites especially for vans etc. Been looking into it a bit as I might get roped into doing a conversion.
https://shop.morlanduk.com/ or these guys Lightweight Panels for DIY Campervans – Panel Systems

They also do fittings and stuff.
The load ratings on large vans are surprisingly small. The smallest Sprinter has the highest load capacity its quite easy to overshoot, remember you need enough left for people and baggage etc.

PS. Wisa do a Poplar core plywood with a Birch outer veneer.

Ollie
Thanks - yup I planned to use them but unfortunately they're out of stock for immediate future and can't even guarantee it'll be back in this year!

One coat of polyurethane varnish promised I'd give it another coat!

It's held up well. I've had all sorts in it all terrain tyres plywood, fence posts etc etc.

If using paint look at either epoxy or two pack polyurethane from car spraying supplies.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/transit-mk8-conversion.240947/
This site is worth a visit. (This is my van)

£20 to join but worth it if converting.

Thanks, this is the info I'm after. So I was looking at the two pack option, but having not even used a sprayer before and not even owning a compressor let alone a space to spray, this seems a tricky option to learn and get set up on the job. Or am I wrong? There are plenty of little electric sprayers, some which seem to be popular. Would any of them do two pac?

Thanks, this is the info I'm after. So I was looking at the two pack option, but having not even used a sprayer before and not even owning a compressor let alone a space to spray, this seems a tricky option to learn and get set up on the job. Or am I wrong? There are plenty of little electric sprayers, some which seem to be popular. Would any of them do two pac?
My son painted a horse box with two pack, rollered on and the finish he got was pretty good. Not bodywork quality but pretty good tbh. He used a high build primer underneath and sanded that smooth.

My son painted a horse box with two pack, rollered on and the finish he got was pretty good. Not bodywork quality but pretty good tbh. He used a high build primer underneath and sanded that smooth.
Thanks for the reply. I thought two pac had to be sprayed; but it an be rollered?! Wow I have lots to learn, i'd ruled it out due to the setup required

If you haven’t already, Check out Greg Virgoe on YouTube. He has a full conversion series of videos and has researched all elements of the build in great detail. He has several videos on the internal furniture build.

Thanks for replies everyone. Don't want to get too distracted regarding weight; in short I'm nowhere near max payload. It's also not worth registering as a camper with DVLA and hardly anyone does that anymore; it's rarely ever approved these days (theres freedom of info requests online showing they reject i believe well over 90%) and they make you jump through too many hoops; not worth it. My thinking was in terms of fuel economy. My father is an engineer for an airline and deals with a lot of this stuff - he keeps telling me it doesn't matter with modern vans but i still know it would surely affect economy in some way, it's just how much. I can't do any calcs because there are so many variables.

The main issue is my choice of materials
OK
I know you don't want to hear it and what you do is your decision but I'd ask, do you actually know the current MTPW, in other words have you looked at the plate and the V5c? and how do you know "I'm nowhere near max payload" when you haven't yet determined materials to be used so absolutely no possibility of calculating how much weight you're going to add.
Sorry Dilby but it doesn't add up

btw of course the comment that vans are meant to carry loads is correct there's one factor usually overlooked. Van suspension and tyres are rated to a maximum load and a van will under normal circumstances rarely be loaded to that and then for relatively short periods, most of the time they will carry much less where a campervan or motorhome is heavily loaded ALL the time even when not being used which is why the tyre manufacturers produce tyres that are camper rated with additional strengthening.
If the police have a checkpoint and see a van down on the bump stops they'll pull it over.

Just saying and and this is my last post on the subject.

Check out poplar or garnica plywood. Pale, but not as interesting a grain as Birch. Very lightweight so ideal for camper cabinets etc.

OK
I know you don't want to hear it and what you do is your decision but I'd ask, do you actually know the current MTPW, in other words have you looked at the plate and the V5c? and how do you know "I'm nowhere near max payload" when you haven't yet determined materials to be used so absolutely no possibility of calculating how much weight you're going to add.
Sorry Dilby but it doesn't add up

btw of course the comment that vans are meant to carry loads is correct there's one factor usually overlooked. Van suspension and tyres are rated to a maximum load and a van will under normal circumstances rarely be loaded to that and then for relatively short periods, most of the time they will carry much less where a campervan or motorhome is heavily loaded ALL the time even when not being used which is why the tyre manufacturers produce tyres that are camper rated with additional strengthening.
If the police have a checkpoint and see a van down on the bump stops they'll pull it over.

Just saying and and this is my last post on the subject.
Yes I have. And I have calculated weight of using the birch ply and MRDF options are they are the heaviest possibilities, along with all my electrics and water tanks if full plus an allowance for people and cargo and i'm still fine - all in a nice google sheets table. Thanks for making that your last post.

Check out poplar or garnica plywood. Pale, but not as interesting a grain as Birch. Very lightweight so ideal for camper cabinets etc.

Thanks. Yes poplar an option if I can get a hold of it; the grain isn't an issue for me as it won't be exposed, it's the laminations. Do you know if they're generally much different to birch as this is the part I want exposed.

Thanks for making that your last post.
Changed my mind.
Pleased to hear you've got it sussed, had you said you 'd done all that I wouldn't have bothered commenting. why don't you post your reg no and I'll pass it on to my cousin who's a traffic policeman in the Aberystwyth area just in case you pass by that way and he can wave you through as being "fully compliant". :ROFLMAO:

I use plastic Eurocrates for storage in my van. If I was making cabinets I would be looking at using engineered flooring board

Changed my mind.
Pleased to hear you've got it sussed, had you said you 'd done all that I wouldn't have bothered commenting. why don't you post your reg no and I'll pass it on to my cousin who's a traffic policeman in the Aberystwyth area just in case you pass by that way and he can wave you through as being "fully compliant". :ROFLMAO:

Lons, the OP MAY well have done all the right calculations, and MAY well know exactly what he's doing. That IS possible I think you'll agree.

But haven't you noticed on here that SOME members post Q's but when they get answers they don't like, they either just ignore those answers, or even worse, argue with those answers.

Now I'm NOT saying that Dilby is one of those, I don't know that with real certainty, any more than you do. But I think you will agree that IT LOOKS LIKE he doesn't FULLY understand what he's doing.

And speaking as someone who DOES know something about stressing pax aircraft interiors to fit/change items such as galleys, etc, etc, I'd say that advice from someone who has that speciality because he does that for an airline is actually about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Totally irrelevant! Vans and aircraft fuselages are about as different as chalk and cheese. That is EXCEPT in the area of what sheet materials to use, where it seems, no advice has been forthcoming!

But anyway, you have tried your best to warn him, and he remains convinced that he's doing it all correctly, and as far as he's concerned, now it's "only" just a question of what materials to use and how to paint them!

So I'd respectfully suggest that he's just left to get on with it in the hope that he actually DOES know exactly he's doing and that therefore it won't just all end up in tears - at least expensive if not fatal tears!

May I add that IMO anyway, you deserve "a price" for your patience. I certainly would not have been.

Cheers

Back