traditional carpenters toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Flitch":24vvr0kh said:
It would be interesting if any of our Australian members have seen box down under.
Okay, firstly I'm a Kiwi not an Aussie.

Tool boxes of the "piano" variety show up on the local internet auction site frequently - so they're known over here.

I did my apprenticeship in a railway workshops (~850 men at the time - now closed :evil: ), so we didn't need that level of portability. We made larger "chest" toolboxes. Mine is 34" long, 16" wide and 17" deep, with the first 2 1/4" being the lid. Three saws are stored in the lid. There are 3 full width trays, two on one level and one above. To access the lower trays, the top tray slides end to end. To access below the two trays, one needs to be lifted out (not a great design feature). The lower half has not been divided for individual items, but is just a large single area (again, not a great design feature). We made wooden trolleys (with wooden wheels) to transport our tool boxes, as we would move shops every 3 months during the apprenticeship.

Mine now lives in my home workshop, but I use it to store seldom used tools (as it's always hard to get into 'cause I keep putting things on the lid, making it hard to access #-o) . The wooden trolley was abandoned long ago.

Cheers, Vann.

This one has just shown up on the local internet auction site. $29 (~£14.50). 850 x 460 x 220. Looks like it may need some TLC.

285223388.jpg
285223413.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-colle ... 425931.htm

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• 285223388.jpg
    285223388.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,650
  • 285223413.jpg
    285223413.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,650
mseries":16t1cgfy said:
I have one like that that my Dad gave me. Not sure if he made it, he was an electrician so doubtful. Whoever did make it made it over 50 years ago I'd say, it's not great, made from ply from an old tea chest, but it's old and is still doing it's job, which in my opinion makes it great !
Fifty years ago is not old. :evil:

JimB":2jwbk9u9 said:
mseries":2jwbk9u9 said:
I have one like that that my Dad gave me. Not sure if he made it, he was an electrician so doubtful. Whoever did make it made it over 50 years ago I'd say, it's not great, made from ply from an old tea chest, but it's old and is still doing it's job, which in my opinion makes it great !
Fifty years ago is not old. :evil:

:) older than I am. It was in my Dads garage for as long as I remember

mseries":12waydj8 said:
:) older than I am. It was in my Dads garage for as long as I remember
There are some advantages though. I saw John Charles play at Elland Road long before you were born.

Back