traditional carpenters toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a style here in the states, that is more of an upright design, made popular after WWII, that finish carpenters would carry their in, to job sites. I believe Roy Underhill featured this design in one of his videos, as well as in one of his books. Looks similar to what was called the "piano hinge" box, except it sits upright, with a portion folding down. Plenty long for handsaws ans well as tall enough for a framing square.

I have one my now deceased father built in the early 50's when he was a home builder. it's packed away but I supposed I could dig it out and email photos to someone here, if they would be so kind to post the photos (I'm challenged when it comes to attaching photos to messages!).

Tony Zaffuto":3na701a8 said:
...... Looks similar to what was called the "piano hinge" box, except it sits upright, with a portion folding down. .....
The "piano hinge" box sits upright if you stand it on it's bottom edge! It usually has a handle on the top edge like a suitcase.

Jacob":g3tiejfq said:
Tony Zaffuto":g3tiejfq said:
...... Looks similar to what was called the "piano hinge" box, except it sits upright, with a portion folding down. .....
The "piano hinge" box sits upright if you stand it on it's bottom edge! It usually has a handle on the top edge like a suitcase.

That's spot on Jacob. I'm going to try to get a photo or two snapped and off to one of the other guys here to put up.

What I remember of my dad when he used this box, he never laid it down and always kept it upright, though I can't remember any reason why it couldn't be laid down.

I have a 2 draw similar to those shown previously with the drop front, it was left in the workshop when the previous owners moved out (along with a mountain of detritus/fag ends and oil stains). it's in a right old state having not been cared for by the muppets who obviously didn't have any love for what was most likely a grandfathers tool box, made by him during his apprenticeship. it has all the hall marks of a 1940's box, with the correct handles, clasps and locks on it, but the lid has been ripped off, the draws have been broken and the sides have started to split.

I fully intend to repair and restore it to how it once was and will be using it for the old planes (stanley, record and a mix of the two), saws, brace and chisels, owned by my father and grandfather, handed to me and still used.

It is a real shame when someone doesn't show respect to something made by an ancestor, I am only gutted that my fathers tool chest (made in his C&G) was disposed off when he was off work sick and they decided to clear his workshop (along with a number of very expensive bits of kit including a mobile forge).

Was googling for images, and found this great old thread on lumberjocks

http://lumberjocks.com/harshest/blog/31569

The thread-starting box is a classic.

Scott Wynn's version looks a little heavy to me.

Edit; more image surfing revealed a few boxes with a design idea. The drop down lid has "stops"
that press and hold the drawers shut when the lid is shut. Neat!

BugBear

phil.p":w8jwu2xq said:
So the chest was sort of analogous to your locker when you were at school, BB? You mean it got broken into every second week? :lol:

My school wasn't in a rough area. :D

Toby-Young_2641700-2.jpg

(disclaimer - I didn''t go to either of THOSE schools!)

BugBear

bugbear":34926tnp said:
JohnPW":34926tnp said:
I've never understood the appeal of tool chests; too big, too heavy, lots of unusable empty space inside, uses up valuable floor space.

Toolchests were used in the days when induividual craftsman working for a maker each had their own tools. Each chest would
have a good lock. The craftsman would only have to lift the heavy the chest when he changed job.

Sort of analogous to your locker when you were at school.

Quiet different to the site cases earlier in the thread, or indeed the kind of racks or cupboards a modern craftsman with his own permanent workshop would create.

BugBear

But the people now advocating and using the tool chest are not in that situation, so my points still apply to the tool chest as it's currently used.

JohnPW":3mtiaybi said:
bugbear":3mtiaybi said:
JohnPW":3mtiaybi said:
I've never understood the appeal of tool chests; too big, too heavy, lots of unusable empty space inside, uses up valuable floor space.

Toolchests were used in the days when induividual craftsman working for a maker each had their own tools. Each chest would
have a good lock. The craftsman would only have to lift the heavy the chest when he changed job.

Sort of analogous to your locker when you were at school.

Quiet different to the site cases earlier in the thread, or indeed the kind of racks or cupboards a modern craftsman with his own permanent workshop would create.

BugBear

But the people now advocating and using the tool chest are not in that situation, so my points still apply to the tool chest as it's currently used.

I did try to be clear about the 3 types of tool storage I was describing, and the context in which each type is used.

To repeat/summarise: "portable", "not fixed", and "fixed".

BugBear

I did try to be clear about the 3 types of tool storage I was describing, and the context in which each type is used.

BugBear

Thanks for explaining.

All I'm just trying to say is IMO the tool chest, as it is used now, ie not by workers to store tools at an employer's premises, is not a good way to keep tools.

I would think self-contained, ie free standing, tool cabinets that you can mount on a wall would be in the "not fixed" category and would use up less space and be more convenient to use than a tool chest. Even a chest of drawers would be better.

JohnPW":1t7eg553 said:

BugBear

Thanks for explaining.

All I'm just trying to say is IMO the tool chest, as it is used now, ie not by workers to store tools at an employer's premises, is not a good way to keep tools.

I would think self-contained, ie free standing, tool cabinets that you can mount on a wall would be in the "not fixed" category and would use up less space and be more convenient to use than a tool chest. Even a chest of drawers would be better.

I think people just enjoy creating toolchests - they not only used to be storage, they (or some of them) were fine demonstrations of the owner's skill;
simple black paint on the outside, and (sometimes) veneer, marquetry and the finest French fitting on the inside.

For a permanent workshop shelves, cupboards and drawers make far more practical sense.

BugBear

You have a good point John but they do have a use in some cases. Where I do my hobby stuff I have no wall free to fix to, I need to move around now and again and with it being on castors it's easy to move. It keeps just the right amount of stuff I need and on a pointless issue I like the look of them. Clearly though, not ideal in all cases.

t8hants":e0kecd9r said:
I am quite like the 'Dutch' tool chest design that has been appearing lately on the web, as I have found the type pictured above a bit small for static storage, and I don't like the hulking great chest types. What I would like to know is the term Dutch used because it is a traditional Netherlands style or is the Americanism of calling things that are German in origin 'Dutch' being applied here - anyone know?

Gareth

YES! that is a wellknown design overhere in The Netherlands. Here is an example found on a shipwreck from the 16th century.

resolve

Corneel":1xebd8ow said:
t8hants":1xebd8ow said:
I am quite like the 'Dutch' tool chest design that has been appearing lately on the web, as I have found the type pictured above a bit small for static storage, and I don't like the hulking great chest types. What I would like to know is the term Dutch used because it is a traditional Netherlands style or is the Americanism of calling things that are German in origin 'Dutch' being applied here - anyone know?

Gareth

YES! that is a wellknown design overhere in The Netherlands. Here is an example found on a shipwreck from the 16th century.

resolve

Thank you for that Corneel! When I build my version in the Spring of next year, I shall take great care that mine will hopefully be worthy to stand alongside such a fine traditional example.

Gareth

I will try avoid being shipwrecked whilst traveling with my tools, - so that's the cross Solent ferries out :lol:

G

DuncanA":1bvgiv9n said:
I've seen quite a few toolboxes of this sort of design, which I'd consider a fairly traditional toolbox option, I remember a retired local carpenter describing something similar once when I explained I was building a tool chest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-PRICE ... 33998720d0 put 'vintage wooden tool box' into ebay and there are several similar ones.

In fact, this might be what Billy is referring to as a 'Piano box'?
I have one like that that my Dad gave me. Not sure if he made it, he was an electrician so doubtful. Whoever did make it made it over 50 years ago I'd say, it's not great, made from ply from an old tea chest, but it's old and is still doing it's job, which in my opinion makes it great !

t8hants":1sgf5nag said:
I will try avoid being shipwrecked whilst traveling with my tools, - so that's the cross Solent ferries out :lol:

G

Aha, I watched Gunslingers on Quest last night. Now I recognise your avatar. :)

Having made several tool boxes, for the kids, when they got their own homes, saves the "Dad, can I borrow...."
My advice, gather all the tools expected to go in, together. Make the box big enough to hold the largest. Cutting as little as 3/4 of an inch off a panel saw makes it look and feel strange. (Yes I did it, only once.)
If you have more than 2 bench planes, consider, more than 1 box. Unless you wish to make it theft proof. (Too heavy to lift)
Sharp cutting edges need protection, or blood will be spilt.
Handles and locks need to be much stronger than thought. (It will be overloaded at some stage)

Enjoy making.
Bod

Nice to see that the carpenters box made it across the pond to our American cousins or is it the other way around ? It would be interesting if any of our Australian members have seen box down under. I can remember back in the early 90`s I was subing for one of the UK biggest shop fitters and there was about 30box`s all lined up waiting to go back to the shop, most of them painted black but also a few varnished. To the untrained eye they where all the same but you could have said to any of the craftsmen pick your box out and they would have gone straight to it, because they where all different in small ways and these men had had the box`s for a long time.
This fact alone tells me there was no drawn plane for the box, well I`ve never seen one, I was also told not to go aver board on the lock because it was only to stop people from being nosy because if they wanted to steal anything they could just pick the box up and walk away with it.

Making a new one I sort of keep it on the back burner and do a little bit on it every now and again, made two lids for it one front and one back.

Attachments

• Box 036.jpg
    Box 036.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,750

Latest posts

Back