• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Southern Yellow Pine Roubo Workbench Parts and Gramercy Holdfasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Alright boys and girls!

This is a big one.
Powered by recent redundancy, I have finally admitted defeat and giving up my "big" workbench build project.
It has been a very difficult decision but it must happen.

I embarked on a "make my own bench" journey
Bought Chris Schwartz's Workbenches book and decided on a split top Roubo - just because I liked it.

In April 2021, bought a lot of Southern Yellow Pine, and with the help of @Fidget , I got the pieces to almost final dimensions.
But in the last two years all I could progress on was the legs.

Anyways, I can give full details to anyone who is interested but here is the high level breakdown (in so many ways)

Workbench rough dimensions (1800mm long, 550-600mm deep and around 915mm high)
Timber: (around £500 overall including delivery)
4 x Legs - 100 x 130mm x 920-930mm long
Top bits are 14 pieces, 110mm deep, around 35mm thick - 7 of them make each of the split tops around 245mm wide (wide enough to go on my old planer thicknesser which I no longer have) - I had added some biscuit joiner marks to help align.
4 x short stretchers (laminated with two pieces each, one long and one slightly shorter)
2 long stretchers (enough to leave a 300mm overhang on either side of the legs)
Piece for the sliding deadman

What this doesn't have:
Leg vice chop - Plan was to make this using contrasting bits of laminated wood, but didn't do it
Tail vice - but can easily incorporate it - I was never going to have one
Any bits that are missing, I was planning ion either using some other wood for it or didn't plan on having it (happy to discuss in detail)

Bench Hardware: (Around £140 when bought)
30mm dia, twin start lead screw with a bronze lead nut - super fast travel - for the leg vice (and two aluminium locking collars)
Cast Iron wheel with 30mm I.D (needs to be secured to the lead screw by cross drilling holes through both and using a spring pin - very simple, just haven't gotten around to it - even happy to do it before selling)

Bench Tool: (Around £120 when bought)
4 x forged gramercy holdfasts - 3/4" (never used, just sprayed dust on them for nearly 3 years) - worth £90-£100 including delivery from Germany / US - apparantly the Bees Knees of holdfasts (or so I was told)
2 x Banggood cam-lock holdfasts

Books / Plans:
Chris Schwartz's workbenches book (if interested)
Happy to share the original plan / design I had for this to explain the sizes and proportions.

All yours for ........ £600, collection from HP17.

I understand it might seem like a lot, but axminster sells flimsy workbenches for more than this.
This is a "I need the money" sale more than "I don't need the workbench" sale!
Truth be told, I spent months imagining how it would look when finished, so please take it off me before I change my mind and sell my kidney instead :D

All you need to do is glue up and cut the joints! (I can see the people laughing now!)

Any questions, please let me know.

20240422_200725.jpg
20240422_200743.jpg
20240422_200748.jpg
20240422_200758.jpg
20240422_200803.jpg
20240422_200816.jpg
20240422_200903.jpg
20240422_200906.jpg
20240422_200912.jpg
20240422_200920.jpg

For clarification, is all the timber required to complete this included ?
Hello mate,

I didn't acquire the leg vice bits (was hoping to get some sapele offcuts from a local timber yard but never got around to it. So I don't have these.

The other thing is the material for the shelf supported by the stretchers, I was just going to use some MDF with some laminate floorboards on top. Also, don't have this.

(Plan was to get these when I required them)

But, the stock here is enough to build the full workbench frame, the tops and the sliding deadman. Plus a couple of offcuts as well.

Hope this answered your question.

It looks like a great build kit, the vice hardware looks super quality, just trying to decide how to do the leg vice on my build.

It looks like a great build kit, the vice hardware looks super quality, just trying to decide how to do the leg vice on my build.
Thanks, mate. It took me months to find that screw and nut. Bought it from Accu, but they no longer supply these now. So was quite fortunate. The travel is rapid.

Just wanted to make a bench crafter style vice without the criss cross (which was on an even longer term plan)

Sorry to hear about the redundancy and your workbench plans being scuppered. Timber, hardware looks top notch. I got a couple of the grammercy holdfasts a long time ago (dieter Schmid was the only place I could get them from. Nowhere in the UK sold them). Very nice bits of kit.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy and your workbench plans being scuppered. Timber, hardware looks top notch. I got a couple of the grammercy holdfasts a long time ago (dieter Schmid was the only place I could get them from. Nowhere in the UK sold them). Very nice bits of kit.
Cheers, mate. Appreciate it very much.

Lets hope something comes up for you soon, I am sure it will. That bench looks like it will be a cracker, I just don't think my credit card needs me to spend anymore on it!

Latest posts

Back