The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chas ...Just a couple of bits to add to your excellent wip/howto...

Cut a 6mmm slice from an old potato... push the brass barrel into it... it should come out with a plug of spud inside it... this is the end you insert into the blank when glueing... stops the glue getting into the brass barrel :wink:

Be very cautious when sanding...heat can build up quickly and cause little white heat spots on such as cocobolo... it can also affect the glue bond between brass barrel and wood...

Thanks Graham forgot that little snippet you had passed on before, too much hooch I suspect. Have added it to a hints and tips section at the end.

Thanks both, I guess I am going to have to lash out and buy a mandrel at some point and have a go. Now where did I put those bits of hawthorn from the hedge trimmings......

Pete

Nice one Chas/Graham :D
Is there anyway of keeping all these WIPs and tips,in a file or something :?: :?:
Paul.J.

Open file in explorer and "save as" in a folder of you choice.

Chas. While your on the subject of trees, just down the road from me is an old estate which is being managed by a couple of blokes who are running all types of woodworking training classes. Ihavent got the brocher for next season yet what there at now runs to the end of the year.
If you buy a piece of timber from them ,they give you a certificate to show where on the estate it had been growing, if it was cut down, for what reason ,it's age and what they replanted in it's place ,Its all to do with the Eco thing thats going on. The Irish Americans are the main buyers. By the way its not cheap! Just thought I'd let you know.
Oh! by the way its a couple of Brits that are running it.I t has a web site I think its called THE LISNAVAGHPROJECT.IE something like that. Regds. Boysie

The dark one the result of the pen making walk through and the Ash one to try out the stepped bushing set. I think Grahams warning about overheating is most applicable to pieces turned on stepped bushing or cones as some kits use as there is no mandrel heat sink in contact with the major part of the tube.

_________ _______ click on image for larger view

___________Dark Beech & Figured Ash

Smashing grain on the light one!

The heat warning was principally for daft beggars like me that like to turn at >3k rpm :lol: ( it can happen at lower speeds, heat sink or not, if the hand is too heavy :wink: )

oldsoke":1qifktl1 said:
Smashing grain on the light one!
Found another similar bit this morning in the bottom of the bin that you shamed me into filling by cleaning up my offcuts.

Caught myself looking at the stack of drying split logs as well to work out how many interesting bits could be got out of them rather than bowl blanks this morning :lol:

Yes I also am turning at 2.5 - 3k on these thin spindles, makes for much smoother cutting and finishing, don't think the wood has time to think about tearing.

_________ _______ click on images for larger view
_______________Ash (250mm +)

_________ ___ ___

_______________Cherry,Chestnut _______________Beech (135mm)_______________Yew (140mm)

_________ ___ ___

_______________Cherry,Ash,Yew_________________Spalted Beech_________________(100mm)

_________ ___
________________Cherry, Ash_________________Ash, Cherry

You have been busy Chas :D
Lovely looking pieces,especially the beech and Yew.
What are the beaded pieces :?
Paul.J.

Paul.J":ov54lmjw said:
.....What are the beaded pieces :?
Paul.J.

Massage rollers Paul :lol:
If they don't work as intended I presume you get beaten with them until you are soft and squidgy .

CHJ wrote
Massage rollers Paul
Now i know :roll:
Did you use the dreaded Skew Chas :?:
Nice job however they were done. :D
Paul.J.

Paul.J":1cngirmr said:
...Did you use the dreaded Skew Chas :?:

Skew and spindle gouge Paul, slowly getting more confident with large skew, been practicing of late, mainly because of the improved finish obtainable, but it helps that the upper point is well clear of the spindle [-o<

Main discipline is keeping the spacing even, does not need to be far out to look wrong.

Nice to see you've been keeping busy,and having plenty of variety;I agree with Rich - the yew bowl is a great shape,and fantastic-looking timber. :D

Andrew

Hi, me to also. I'm up for the Yew bowl, nice consistent form, and love the colour.

No less than we have come to expect from you Chas. Must agree that the yew bowl stands out in shape and the wood.

I offered to make my daughter some of those massagers as she is a homeopathic therapist but she said it was more fun getting someone doing it for you :lol:

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back