The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely candle holder Chas - simple but stunning!

I'm really jealous of that Elm Burr - I bought two burr blanks from Stiles and Bates a while ago, one Oak and One Elm. Although they are excellent quality blanks, and extremely "burry", they are almost the same colour as each other, in fact the Oak is slightly redder than the Elm, which is more or less the same colour of some English Oak planks that I have. :roll:

I would love to find a decent source of material similar to what you have! :evil:

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":1zzuqohr said:
I would love to find a decent source of material similar to what you have! :evil:

Yes I was very fortunate to be given it, it is part of what I can only assume was the significant part of a whole tree purchase by a private individual some years ago.

This is the Burr slab:
DSC02643%20(Small).JPG

The largest piece of which is still to be tackled when I have had time to appraise the minimum wastage/maximum potential.

The colour on my monitor is pretty true, the edging strip on the bench is mahogany for comparison, the apparent redness is greatest in sawn surface and sanded form, goes to tans and dark browns and mostly red/brown when sealed.

Hello all, I just thought I would post a picture of a goblet done by the young lady[ Heather] who done the walnut bowl [ pictured above], I think she done a cracking job for only two and a half months turning under her belt , the goblet is turned in cherry.

Steve
IMG_2319hcherry2.jpg

Pass on congratulations Steve, well proportioned and finished.

Nice turnings Steve.
Might I suggest that you start a thread for your own turnings rather than putting them in Chas's. It will make them easier to find in the future.

Duncan

Very nice Steve. :D
Nice shape and finish.
Have to agree with Duncan about starting your thread,as i missed this one :roll: nearly.
Paul.J.

Bodrighy":qaz3wj8l said:
Apart from which Chas is the last person to need any more on his thread :lol:

:lol: The thread will have to be locked soon Pete to prevent it causing the PHP software to fall over, just trying to think of something to start a new one off with
duno.gif

Todays piece:

_________ _____ click on image for larger view

____________Beech 205mm oiled

How about a natural edged, offcentred piece complete with voids that has no practical purpose whatsoever but plenty of scope to collect dust :p

Pete?

I normally try not to let people see my mistakes Pete :wink:

Nice shape and finish Chas :D
Looks like another piece of Beech that's going to start to split to me with those markings.
Was this meths dried :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":12w0bjwl said:
Looks like another piece of Beech that's going to start to split to me with those markings.

Hopefully not, seems stable the last couple of days and is thoroughly soaked in oil now.

Paul.J":12w0bjwl said:
Was this meths dried :?:
Yes

Another one similar has gone the way of the firewood pile (or a bulb bowl) since Friday, there was even less of the core wood and nothing to indicate that there was a problem, dryer than my meter will register, it suddenly cracked, moved all over the place over the next 48hrs and is now 1/2cm oval with cracks closed up, you never know.

Hi Chas .... see this 'moving and cracking' effect that you're referring to -- is it something that will usually happen withing a relatively short period , say a day or so or can it on occasions take longer , i.e weeks or even months ?
Is there any way that one could 'predict' it when looking at the 'raw' blank ?

I haven't been doing this long... and just last week turned a bowl in a wood which I think was called Mascarponia or something very similar to that spelling.. quite a light coloured wood, and it gave off quite a pungent smell when worked... it seemed to really 'go for' the back of the nose / throat..... well - all seemed fine when I looked at it before mounting to the machine..... I've not maybe got what could be called an 'experts eye', but certainly no visible defects that i could detect... and it didn't get subjected to any 'shock loading' from any catches or anything, and all seemed well through the turning, sanding, and subsequent application of a clear bri-wax finish and buffing by hand.... but since then, its slowly been cracking and becoming somewhat oval.. not a huge amount oval, but enough that the eye can detect it... it no longer sits flat, but rocks about on its foot, quite badly too ! its splitting right through, from inside to out... any thoughts or 'lessons' i could or should learn here ?

I should add maybe ... its about 8" Diameter, about 2" high, uniformly thick at say, 6mm ... flat bottomed, with a trapezoidal outwards taper from base to top, plus the small typical foot on the base for fitting into the chuck on expansion.
It came from my usual Hardwoods source.... all fully dried & seasoned etc..
I'm probably missing something obvious ...but wondered if you or anyone else would have any thoughts .... as I say - it turned nicely.., apart from the smell which was very distinctive, - didn't look defective upon completion, and hasn't been put anywhere 'silly', its been left in the house at normal room temperatures, not in any direct sunlight or anything either.

Just have to make a quick reference to the 'novice lady turner' too... If i may - she's turning out some mighty impressive quality for just being at it for 2 months... "well done, that girl ! " , thats looking pretty damn fine stuff.... ! very encouraging for another learner, here ! 8) 8)

Thanks - oh and happy new year to everyone here, too :)

Jenx, I would question the "Fully dried" description as a starter, I have no experience of the wood maybe someone else has a better knowledge as to whether it is a 'problem' wood.

The Beech was fully dried (months) as rough turned at about 15mm thick, I think basically I pushed my luck too far and turned it too thin (5mm), just goes to show what loads are still locked up in a piece of dry wood.

It might be that your wood has a pre-disposition for internal loads.

Any splitting of a finished item is usually fairly soon after completion, if you get that far that is, due to the increased and possibly uneven moisture loss.

Edit: was this the wood type mansonia

If your boredom threshold has not been reached yet by my woodturning obsession there are a few bits being added HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back