The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Set the scene, 18:25 hrs, poring with rain, car screeches up the drive, young man dashes to door with something in his arms:

"I have been chainsawing in the orchard and saw this, is it any good, do you want the rest of the tree" :shock: =P~ =P~

DSC02620.JPG

Bodrighy":lzdd9bop said:
I hear the swap fairy coming in to land........wanna bitta spalted beech?
Pete
Things can be arranged.

By the amount of wood that is accumulating Pete, I need a couple more lathes and the extra arms to go with them if you have them to spare :lol:

Will cut this bit up in the morning to see how sound it is, already have an order to fill from it if I can work it before xmas.

If it's a decent size you may be able to get a nice hollow form out of that. With a lot of care mind you, it looks as if it's quite soft in a few places. Get the wood hardener out :lol:

TEP":2g057o1t said:
....looks as if it's quite soft in a few places. Get the wood hardener out :lol:

Yes it is Tam although it passes a fingernail test, tomorrow will reveal more. [-o< This bit is destined for smaller pieces already, at least it will make any recovery treatment a bit easier. Perhaps some of the other might make it to a HF.

Suspect it is a fruit wood Paul, old apple, pear or plum, been dead for some years by the look of it, may get a better idea when the rest of it arrives.

Nice find :D ,although the bark looks nothing like any of the plum I've got,so think apple or pear is more likely.

"do you want the rest of the tree"

Like any of us would ever say "no"... :lol:

Andrew

Wood is very pink in colour when cut this morning, produced a stack of pen blanks, both with and cross grain , looks like it will give interesting figuring, a couple of decent sized pieces put on one side to dry out to see what in the way of bowl potential they have.

_________ ___ ___

____________________Elm ______________________(247mm)__________________Chestnut finishing Oil

__________The wood by the way is just one of the smaller of many pieces,
__________gifted to me over the christmas period by a very generous Forum member.

Cracking start to the new year Chas :D
Lucky you.
Love the colour,grain,and shape.
What happened with the Apple/fruit tree just before xmas :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":1ju5bd1e said:
.......What happened with the Apple/fruit tree just before xmas :?:
Paul.J.

Still awaiting the collection/delivery Paul, the samples I cut up for Pen Blanks have only made it as far as the neighbors firewood bag I'm afraid the wood when dried out although not that soft is just like a sponge and wicks up sealer like blotting paper, turned several blanks in it and it looks a very disappointing blend of muddy brown colours with no life in it at all :cry:

The two pieces set out to dry for bowls are still awaiting me to put a gouge to them but I have a feeling they may be one of those projects that become not worth the bother, we will have to see what the rest of the tree is like.

Will be tackling a piece of your Apple next, need to do a few speculative things for a change instead of the commission stuff.

Like the bowl,Chas - it's got a bit of everything;nice shape,lovely grain pattern,nice warm colour,and some bits of burr as well :D

Andrew

Very nice Chas, there is something about burr elm the colour, grain etc that sets it apart from other woods.

john

Fingers crossed when you recieve the rest of the tree than Chas.
Will look forward to seeing what you do with Apple piece.
Paul.J.

_________ ___
DSC02652.JPG

_________________140mm_______________________(14mm)

A couple of nice pieces,Chas.Both a bit like Kylie,in their own way

First one - great figure :D
Second one - small,but perfectly formed :wink:

Andrew

That 14mm bowl looks a bit out of proportion to me Chas, shouldn't it be a lot thinner :?: :lol:

Beautiful big bowl though, I like the really simple shape and design, doesn't need anything else with that figurinhg does it?

I have never used Olive, strangely I can't find any lying around on Exmoor yet. :cry:

Pete

Bodrighy":fd9dnce9 said:
That 14mm bowl looks a bit out of proportion to me Chas, shouldn't it be a lot thinner :?: :lol:
Yeh I know had problems with it, anything less than 1mm wall and the rim falls off.
duno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back