The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice Chas :D
Lovely grain and colour.
Is the smaller one the core from the bigger one :wink: or is it a different wood all together.
Paul.J.

This afternoons effort, I have quite a few blanks worth of Elm burr that I cut out of some slabs over the weekend and before I start tackling the larger pieces I had a shot at this smaller piece to get a feel for its potential.

_________ _____ click on image for larger view

_________________140mm

Can't make up my mind whether to leave the stuff as is, warts and all, or to fill in the voids.
If I fill I tend to go for darker wood debris to blend into the piece, but a little bit of me thinks that it might be worth going more arty and use brass filled epoxy or similar. (some of the voids are considerably bigger than those in view)
duno.gif

Edit:
Paul.J":1re14uhs said:
.Is the smaller one the core from the bigger one

It's from a scrap piece cut off the corner of the square blank Paul, true colour is nearer Large bowl picture not as seen by my video camera which does not do small well.

Nice practice piece Chas :D
CHJ wrote
Can't make up my mind whether to leave the stuff as is, warts and all, or to fill in the voids.
If it were me i'd leave as is,but that's me :D

CHJ wrote.
but a little bit of me thinks that it might be worth going more arty and use brass filled epoxy or similar. (some of the voids are considerably bigger than those in view)

If that what the arty pieces are about then Chas go for it.Might be worth trying on one piece to see how it looks.

Paul.J.

The burr bowl looks nice as it is, certainly my type of thing, I also cut up one of my burrs yesterday, and with a day off work today I played in the workshop all day, here hopefullyare my efforts,

IMG_2032elmburr3.jpg

IMG_2018whychelm1.jpg

IMG_2031burrvase2.jpg

the wood I used in all three peices, I was told by the guy where I get my timber is whych elm burr, me not sure could it be sycamore burr ? the hollow form is finished with french polish and the other two are oiled and waxed.

Steve

Lovely work Steve, does look a little light for old English Elm, more on a par with Exeter Elm, not had any Whych Elm myself to compare it with. I don't think Sycamore would have that attractive colour even in burr form.

thank you for your kind comments, whatever the wood is be whych elm burr or sycamore burr it sure turns nice,

Steve.

below is a some pics [ if anyone is interested]of a couple of yew and ebony forms that I turned with many other thing at xmas.
IMG_2273small2.jpg

small.jpg

CHJ":3gneb1zj said:

Chas,

I really like that Elm burr bowl. As far as whether to fill the voids or not, personally I would leave it as is. However, from personal experience if you do decide to fill the voids, I would leave it for at least a couple of months, as from personal experience the thing will keep moving and changing for ages.

I turned a 12" diameter Elm burr bowl, and that took about 6 months before it settled down. Fissures opened up, and then closed again, and the surface took on a lovely textured appearance. If you fill before it has stopped moving, the filler will all end up falling out again.

Regards

Gary

hello Paul, I haven't got a tape measure handy but the following measurements are fairly accurate the burr bowl is around 8 inches in width, the burr hollow form stands at around 7 inches tall, the burr vase with the ebony foot is 6 inches tall the taller of the yew forms is about 7 inches tall and the shorter fatter one is around 5 inches tall , the yew hollow forms are finished in french polish. the burr hollow forms is finished in french polish and the burr bowl and burr vase are finished with oil and wax, which I think looks like a nicer warmer colour and finish. [I hope this is of some use]

steve

Thanks Gary for the guidance on movement, this does read as being below 10% but I did notice the billet moving (saw slot widening) a couple of times during cutting.
I am erring on the leave well alone myself with the rest of it unless there is a void in the most inconvenient place, seems to be the consensus elsewhere as well.
I am breaking Grahams rules again an hoarding all the bits of no use for turning as such with a mind to use them as highlight inserts, Need some more boxes, I think metallic filling with brass or pewter might be in order then.

Another one of my boring little bowls, but what the heck it's Me time I'm spending.

_______________Burr Elm 155mm

CHJ wrote
Another one of my boring little bowls,
Yes very boring Chas :roll: :roll:
I just can't wait till my turning gets this boring :lol:
Another cracking piece of wood.
Paul.J.

Another nice bowl from a lovely piece of timber Chas - more of the Elm Burr by the looks of it?

It is a lovely colour - the chunk I had was a fair bit lighter than yours.

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":19u8svuf said:
It is a lovely colour - the chunk I had was a fair bit lighter than yours.

Yes part of the gifted timber Gary, the colour on my monitor is pretty true to the piece, the colour of the whole burr and the slabs that came from the same tree are a much richer red/brown than the Elm that I was used to seeing in my younger days, we used a lot of coffin makers off-cuts around the farm for general repairs and that was much the same colour as the chestnut and light oak I have, although I have a piece from Yandles that is similarly rich, unfortunately it transpires that came with its own livestock so is destined for the firewood bag.

_________
_________And what do you do with the bit out of the middle that you could not bring yourself to turn into shavings.

_______________Burr Elm

very nice Chas, really like the candle, I dont like seeing wood go to waste either, "dont you just love burrs" Australian burrs are ok but you cant beat a bit of Elm, Oak or something English.

for anyone that is interested below is a couple of pics of a 6 inch diameter walnut bowl a friend of mine turned late this afternoon, the first time she picked up a chisel was october, she has done well with turning boxes and goblets , so I got out the chainsaw and cut her off a lump of walnut, I dont think it was wasted,

steve
IMG_2043wallnutbottom2.jpg

IMG_2039wallnuttop1.jpg

wallnutfront1.jpg

Nice looking candle holder Chas :D
I can see that you wouldn't want to turn wood like that into shavings.
Gorgeous colour.

Another nice bowl Steve,and wood.Looks like your a good teacher :D

Paul.J.

I do like Walnut, a very appropriate wood for a newer turner to use IMO, reasonably easy to turn, takes a superb finish and has its own depth of charter into the bargain.

Impressed to see the bowl finished on all sides, so often get the impression that the turner could not be bothered to change the jaws to remount it.

Not saying that every piece I do is free of spigot or recess far from it, but if it's still there it is usually for a reason such as ease of refurbishing the finish at a future date or such.

I suspect if I ever get down to purchasing a decent set of buffing brushes and wheels then even they can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back