Square identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's possible to say. Modern-day branding of products was irrelevant for an awfully long time, and items like this were turned out in small workshops to an established pattern by anyone with the skills.

The stocks could be rosewood, but I'm not sure.

You probably know that the recess for the inset brass was hand-cut with a 'passer drill' working inside a steel outline. Roy Underhill gives a demo of one in his programme here: http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2800/2807.html

Hi Thomas I have the larger one of the two (12") and there is no makers name on it either. There are a number of different owners names punched into either side, but that is all.

Mine is so dark it looks more like ebony then rosewood, but in reality I do not think they would have used ebony.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Checked them against my new marples square and they are spot on so in the tool cabinet they go :-D

Thomas Hayman":3du32cfb said:
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Checked them against my new marples square and they are spot on so in the tool cabinet they go :-D

Thomas if you happen to find out anything more, please keep me upto date.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks mate it's very much appreciated. I wouldn't know where to start

Here is my one. Sorry about the state of the pictures. :oops:

2007_0816practiseshots0070-1.jpg

2007_0816practiseshots0074.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back