Spindle moulder tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupidly knows no bounds. A snatch and it will end in blood, sweat and lots of tears.

I had a tenoning block bundled in with a load of Whitehills. It's probably heavier than the spindle moulder we're talking about. That's a 5 inch whitehill block for comparison. Even looking at it scares me.

Attachments

• 20231206_171528.jpg
    20231206_171528.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I had a tenoning block bundled in with a load of Whitehills. It's probably heavier than the spindle moulder we're talking about. That's a 5 inch whitehill block for comparison. Even looking at it scares me.

Quite a rare Whitehill block too, skewed cutter clamping for panel raising.

Those skew blocks are never quite as solid as the straight ones(in my mind) as the screw and the jaws are acting slightly askew! They also tend to lock up a bit when undoing.

Stupidly knows no bounds. A snatch and it will end in blood, sweat and lots of tears.
I wasn’t clear on what the operator was doing - definitely looked sketchy.

I guess that the tenons had been cut on the bandsaw, then he was cleaning them up as far as the blade would reach on the spindle moulder (which would then require the remaining area to be cleaned up with a chisel or shoulder plane etc).

I don't know why they were so proud of this - it looked both dangerous and inefficient.

Cheers

Those skew blocks are never quite as solid as the straight ones(in my mind) as the screw and the jaws are acting slightly askew! They also tend to lock up a bit when undoing.

The Whitehill was never the best design anyway, it was a relatively cheap batch-produced block and no two batches were ever the same, if you lay two blocks on top of each other you will see the clamping faces will be in completely different positions. By contrast, the cutter blocks made by Wadkin, Tong, Dominion, and Monninger were made to much stricter tolerances and much higher quality than Whitehill, though that was reflected in the cost at the time as the Whitehill was half the price of the others hence why it was so popular and abundant.

Well guys IV just read all the comments some very good ideas and thoughts this needs food for thought here. You didn't scare me off Triton just so much to take in and digest. So obviously 4" was the extreme and some very good thoughts made.

So thoughts for tooling for a 3" tenon or so u think that's not doable on this machine.

Back