Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ground chisels and plane irons on a disc for decades, you just vary the pressure a little from side to side to compensate.
That's brave of you - I'm surprised you would admit this as a member of the correct sharpening brotherhood!
Or is it allowed in the rule book somewhere? 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
It's perfectly easy to do spindle gouges and skews freehand on an oil stone.
With a bit of thought the steeper angled gouges aren't difficult either.
Saves a fortune on kit, quick and easy (a little and often), prolongs chisel life.
Several points immediately come to mind.
If your sharpening a flat bevel you have to remove metal from the whole surface - really impractical & slow with an oil stone.
Don't try re-profiling your tools with this method, it will probably take a year.
A hollow grind, as from a grinder can quickly be sharpened with the latest in modern technology, a diamond file/card.

Several points immediately come to mind.
If your sharpening a flat bevel you have to remove metal from the whole surface - really impractical & slow with an oil stone.
Not at all, once you get into it. Has to be forceful and fast.
Don't try re-profiling your tools with this method, it will probably take a year.
Unless you use a coarse stone. And has to be forceful and fast!
A hollow grind, as from a grinder can quickly be sharpened with the latest in modern technology, a diamond file/card.
Yes. But it's quite nice to be in control without all the pricy modern tackle.
Once you've got the bevel as you want it you just maintain it for evermore without having to regrind or anything.

@ OP and here endeth the first lesson in why we don't mention the 'S' Word ..... although to be fair this is quite a civil and restrained thread :ROFLMAO:

I was merely making a point. Your advice to a learner is contrary to what dozens (probably thousands) of more experienced turners would give. Just because you're happy with it doesn't mean it's the best advice. I could probably get a fingernail grind on a spindle gouge using a concrete coping stone if my life depended on it, but it wouldn't mean it was the best way of doing it, good turners use jigs for a reason.
Perhaps good turners are lousy sharpeners?

Good turners don't seek or need razor sharp tools. As explained elsewhere a turning gouge will go through more metres of wood in a couple of minutes than a hand tool would in a morning - it would cease to be razor sharp in seconds. They use jigs for speed and economy.

Good turners don't seek or need razor sharp tools. As explained elsewhere a turning gouge will go through more metres of wood in a couple of minutes than a hand tool would in a morning - it would cease to be razor sharp in seconds. They use jigs for speed and economy.
Or coarser oil stones if freehand etc

I bought the Axminster Ultimate Edge when it was on special offer and find variable speed and forward and reverse to be useful at times. Turning tools get reprofiled on 80g and generally sharpened on 120g. Carving tools get done on much finer belts, I can’t remember the grit but I run the machine at a slower speed.

Sorry for bringing this back up again, but I need a sharpening set up and have a limited budget. I was thinking of buying one of these with the woodturners sharpening package:
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/wg200-8-wet-stone-sharpening-system-package-dealhttps://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/sharpening-jigsI like the fact that it is adjustable speed, and was hoping to eventually buy a CBN wheel to replace the one included.

My question is does anyone see any problems with it? I can't afford the Tormek system yet (maybe sometime in the future!) so that is out of the question, but if there are any other systems around this price that are equivalent or better then I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
Chris

I just had a look and if it really is £139 for the full package that is a bargain!

Sorry for bringing this back up again, but I need a sharpening set up and have a limited budget. I was thinking of buying one of these with the woodturners sharpening package:
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/wg200-8-wet-stone-sharpening-system-package-dealhttps://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/sharpening-jigsI like the fact that it is adjustable speed, and was hoping to eventually buy a CBN wheel to replace the one included.

My question is does anyone see any problems with it? I can't afford the Tormek system yet (maybe sometime in the future!) so that is out of the question, but if there are any other systems around this price that are equivalent or better then I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Cheaper and utterly superior is freehand with 2 or 3 oilstones. Less than £50 will see you kitted out for life.
Sharpening got rewritten by maniacs, sometime in the 80s, with the boom in DIY and hack magazine writers. Almost all traces of the simple trad system have been written out of the record

Thanks in advance
Chris
Is it for woodturning tools you want it for? If so I'd probably not go for a Tormek like device as you'll probably find it too slow. Have a look for a decent bench grinder. If you're happy to freehand it then that should suit you but for more consistent grinds you'll probably want to either make one or invest in a suitable jig.

Is it for woodturning tools you want it for? If so I'd probably not go for a Tormek like device as you'll probably find it too slow. Have a look for a decent bench grinder. If you're happy to freehand it then that should suit you but for more consistent grinds you'll probably want to either make one or invest in a suitable jig.
For woodturning a sanding disc on the outboard end is good. And/or an mdf disc plus smears of autosol for instant polish.
If you haven't got an outboard end then you've bought half a lathe. One of their many devious ways to make you buy more kit

Yes agreed. An 8” bench grinder would be a better bet in my view. You can buy or make the jigs for it.

Back