Luxury sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new sharpening system to replace my ancient record scan 150 with a wonky cracked wheel and no option to take jigs. This may be the first "finished" bit of the workshop that I won't want to consider replacing with a bigger better version in some probably fictitious future, so I want to get it right.

I am currently looking at either the Sorby Proedge or the Axminster Ultimate linisher. I like the sound of being able to change belts to allow reprofiling and fine sharpening on the same machine. The Axminster is significantly more expensive (similar to the Sorby with all the jigs) but I have read reviews here that say it is the better machine. What do people think?

The Sorby comes with a selection of jigs. The Axminster says it is compatible with Tormek jigs, but these make an expensive machine even more so. Will either of them fit cheaper versions, such as the Record gouge jigs? I will mostly be using it for turning tools, but I dabble in flat woodwork so a few chisels and plane blades. I am definitely not someone who wants to get into competitive chisel honing however!

Alternatively a CBN set up may end up a similar cost. Is there any reason why this would be significantly better? What machine would people buy to go down this route, as I cannot see any kits offering this from the outset. It seems a waste to buy a new grinder and replace the wheel before even using it.

Thanks!

Having played with the Axi machine in their showroom, I wouldn't swap it for my ProEdge.
The angled tool rest plate on the Sorby is simple, easy and repeatable to set. It's just hugely useful and there's nothing like that on the Axi.
I've read of someone moaning they couldn't set a PE up to do one particular sweep for a particular bowl gouge, but in six years of usage I've never had a problem.
The Sorby is a great, well built machine.

I went through this of Axi vs RS, I went RS and have never regretted the decision. I like the idea of Tormek jig but have not found the RS wanting in any way in use so that is not relevant to me any more, RS is well built and sooo easy to use. It a class bit of UK kit.

The Axminster is better in some of it's innovations but the variable speed version at least isn't an induction motor. That excludes it automatically for me as the motor used in the Sorby is inherently simpler and longer lasting. The Sorby is a pricy but good tool with the versatility of many belts.

Matching up CBN wheel(s), grinder and sourcing a Wolverine sharpening jig to fit under it is less plug and play, but is a nice combination for turners especially for sharpening bowl gouges.

If it had to be one, I'd choose the ProEdge

I don't have either but have considered both.

I would recommend the workshop 3000 I have but the company no longer supports European markets ( its a US company) so its hard to get the abrasives. Its a shame as it was about half the price of the other options you mention.

I wonder if at the price of the Sorby you could get a proper industrial linisher like knifemakers use. Commonly using 2x72 inch belts.

Ollie

There are quite a range of Tormek compatible accessories available from the likes of Ali Express. I have a few and whilst they lack the fit and finish of the Tormek ones they get the job done.

"Ooooh, lovely! Another sharpening thread"
I thought that too, I read a lot here for a couple of weeks before signing up, sharpening threads do kind of "car crash meets the 100 years war" don't they, and then everybody seems to slow down to have a look. Is there a pop-corn icon in the smiley library ?

re the workshop3000 people no longer supporting the European markets, I went for a look, if the company is worksharptools ? their distributors page shows that they do.
https://www.worksharptools.com/international-distributors/

Last edited:
Having played with the Axi machine in their showroom, I wouldn't swap it for my ProEdge.
The angled tool rest plate on the Sorby is simple, easy and repeatable to set. It's just hugely useful and there's nothing like that on the Axi.
I've read of someone moaning they couldn't set a PE up to do one particular sweep for a particular bowl gouge, but in six years of usage I've never had a problem.
The Sorby is a great, well built machine.
I am certainly not fixed to any particular shape - after years of sharpening freehand, any kind of jig is going to be a treat, and I have never had a chance to try any of long ground back shapes to have a strong preference.

I am also glad to hear you have tried both and don't want to swap. I didn't know how useful the variable speed or reverse features would be.

The Axminster is better in some of it's innovations but the variable speed version at least isn't an induction motor. That excludes it automatically for me as the motor used in the Sorby is inherently simpler and longer lasting. The Sorby is a pricy but good tool with the versatility of many belts.

Matching up CBN wheel(s), grinder and sourcing a Wolverine sharpening jig to fit under it is less plug and play, but is a nice combination for turners especially for sharpening bowl gouges.

If it had to be one, I'd choose the ProEdge
Longevity is also something that matter a lot for something as expensive as this. I thought a lot before getting my new to me lathe (Nova DVR) but I can dream that in many years I may get something heavier. I hope this to be sharpening sorted forever, though I suppose there are always diamond belts if I ever find myself with more money than I know what to do with!

"Ooooh, lovely! Another sharpening thread"
I thought that too, I read a lot here for a couple of weeks before signing up, sharpening threads do kind of "car crash meets the 100 years war" don't they, and then everybody seems to slow down to have a look. Is there a pop-corn icon in the smiley library ?

re the workshop3000 people no longer supporting the European markets, I went for a look, if the company is worksharptools ? their distributors page shows that they do.
https://www.worksharptools.com/international-distributors/

Interesting, I will see if I can find some of the finer grits.
When I contacted them regarding a spare part a few tears ago they stated they weren't supporting markets outside the USA. Hopefully they have fixed this. However, it might be that they might not support that particular product as they do other things.
It's a pretty decent system for its price.

Ollie

If you want luxury then you should be looking at a set of Shapton stones. Gucci rather than some Primark machine 😜

There you go I’ve got the ball rolling.
I have no idea about their image / reputation, but from the comment had hoped that they would be a lot more expensive than that!

Back