Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm going to open a Pandora's box, but I'm new to turning. Just did a course with Yandles and used the Sorby Pro Edge extensively - very enjoyable and I just realised the value of always have a sharp tool.

Right now, I'm not sure I can justify the £450 although I am of the view of buy quality and you won't have to replace it in the future.

I've looked at the Sorby bench grinder jig, but that's about £150 plus the cost of grinding wheels is going to take me to close on £200 so wondered about one of these: Gouge Chisel Sharpening Jig for Wood Lathe Woodturning chisels for Bench Grinder : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science. Seems to have very good reviews and just wondered if anyone has used them?

Thanks!

The S word....it was once said is like fight club, and we all know the first rule of fight club ;-)

I've never been great with doing it and admit to some struggles, I have/was using the Axi ripoff of the Tormek, with Tormek jigs but never really felt it was right for me or that I got to grips with it....
Recently I was introduced to the Wolverine Jigs and slow grinders from Hope Woodturning - all I can say is that it has revolutionised things for me.... not cheap but my belief is it is a system that will outlive me and I hate 'putting edges' ;) back on my gouges less!

Just to say I have no affiliation to Hope Woodturning, but found them very helpful and for me the system works

Not sure if this helps at all...

Padster

It's perfectly easy to do spindle gouges and skews freehand on an oil stone.
With a bit of thought the steeper angled gouges aren't difficult either.
Saves a fortune on kit, quick and easy (a little and often), prolongs chisel life.

I have the jig illustrated - only mine came via Ebay. I'm also using the same Record 8" grinder although I don't have the CBN wheels. It works fine enough for me to replicate the different grinds. There is a moderate amount of messing about when first setting it up, which in my case involved trimming bits from the wheel guard. This was mainly to accommodate the separate angled platform shown in front of the far wheel in the link photograph. This was not part of the gouge jig but is available separately.
What more can I say? other than -it's a much cheaper option, and It works.

"It's perfectly easy to do spindle gouges and skews freehand on an oil stone.
Saves a fortune on kit, quick and easy (a little and often), prolongs chisel life." Perfectly easy to grow a tree, fell it when its mature and mill into timber, then season it. Problem is most people need a quicker result

it's very quick when you get into "little and often" mode, in fact you hardly notice it.

It's perfectly easy to do spindle gouges and skews freehand on an oil stone.
Saves a fortune on kit, quick and easy (a little and often), prolongs chisel life.
I have nothing against platform (freehand) sharpening but as a turner, you are often required to sharpen quite frequently.
Using a powered sharpening system is almost a necessity.
You are simply exchanging money for time.
As to prolonging chisel life, I disagree. A jig with exact repeatable angles remove as little metal as possible, since the tool is registered in the exact same position every time. This also aides in the consistency of the cutting edge. The tool reacts the same after every sharprning.

I have nothing against platform (freehand) sharpening but as a turner, you are often required to sharpen quite frequently.
That's where freehand on oil-stone wins. A little and often, you hardly notice.
Didn't know it was called "platform" sharpening, is there a reason for this?

That's where freehand on oil-stone wins. A little and often, you hardly notice.
Didn't know it was called "platform" sharpening, is there a reason for this?
I was referring to those who use a grinder with a flat platform and call it freehand.
There are very few people that sharpen turning tools on oil stones free hand, even it's "little & often."

I have the deluxe version jigs from lathetooluk bought off ebay I've been more than happy with them, had to trim bits off grinder to make them work but very repeatable grinds, only bit i couldn't get on rith was the skew jig I can do a better job off of platform, its basically a crude version of one way but a lot less dollar

20230925_195903.jpg

...... Right now, I'm not sure I can justify the £450 although I am of the view of buy quality and you won't have to replace it in the future.....

I was in a similar situation some time ago, do I spent my money upgrading my lathe, or do I buy a good sharpening system. I decided on the sharpening setup. My thought being that if I don't have properly sharpened tools, it won't make much different as to how good my lathe is.

I was in a similar situation some time ago, do I spent my money upgrading my lathe, or do I buy a good sharpening system. I decided on the sharpening setup. My thought being that if I don't have properly sharpened tools, it won't make much different as to how good my lathe is.
That's a similar thought process I'm having - what did you buy?

I would also add that many who use the wolverine system, eventually get CBN wheels. CBN wheels keep the same diameter and they also don't need to be dressed. they don't emit sparks and won't crack making them far safer than friable wheels. They can be expensive but for the average turner, they can literally be the last time you'll need to buy sharpening wheels.

I was referring to those who use a grinder with a flat platform and call it freehand.
There are very few people that sharpen turning tools on oil stones free hand, even it's "little & often."
I was in a club with very experienced first class amateurs, semi pro and pro turners - not one of them ever, ever used an oilstone.

I made my own gouge sharpening jig, using a template from the internet. Works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_194425805.jpg
    IMG_20200415_194425805.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200420_181546507.jpg
    IMG_20200420_181546507.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 0
I bought the Sorby Pro Edge, not cheap but it's pretty much foolproof.
I did exactly the same and managed to get a good second hand one though I already had a grinder and a Tormek T7, kept the grinder for metal work and sold the Tormek as I found the Pro-edge far quicker for frequent touch up of lathe chisels.
I've been turning wood for 60 years and in all that time have never seen a turner use oilstones, the pros certainly don't either if you watch any of the demonstrations but then the person offering that advice is rather unique. ;)

Back