Luxury sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

Who would do such a thing ?
I’ve no idea who could do such a thing but here is a picture of what it might look like if someone did

802DE88F-00E0-4FAE-AB72-1E409F12BCDF.jpeg

But then they would probably need to get the 30000 as well “just because”

A711A7E6-262E-41CC-9F75-9219CAB0E1EB.jpeg

And of course the fancy flattening plate

0823A481-8315-495F-8811-30243E9A9AF2.jpeg

As I said I have now idea why this would happen but probably down to an obsession with ‘sets’.

I can relate to that. If whoeveritis is going to get some, whoeveritis might as well get them all to keep it neat and tidy, no?

I know someone who has a nasty Auriou rasp habit like that.

The title of the thread is luxury sharpening. True luxury sharpening would be having a paid assistant on hand, to whom you could pass a tool and receive a sharp one back in return. The equivalent of the piano tuner in a concert hall or the theatre nurse in a hospital. "3/8 bowl gouge please......" "Chuck key....."

Meanwhile in the real world I find it hard to countenance paying more for a 'system' than I did for my lathe.

True luxury sharpening would be having a paid assistant on hand, to whom you could pass a tool and receive a sharp one back in return.

Are you suggesting that this is not normal? I think my assistants would disagree; however, one of them asked me to pass on to you that the assistant anticipates the need for a sharp tool and does not wait to be passed a dull tool.

I only ever had one paid assistant ( about 20 years ago ) I fired him.He was far more ass than istant, and had sticky fingers, stole some stuff from one of my customers fairground rides while it was in my place for a decor. The Carnie noticed the theft ( I hadn't ) after I'd fired the guy for daily multiple screw ups. You don't steal from Carnies, I got a message from one of them about a month later to say that they had found the guy at the other end of France and had dealt with him.

Thus proving he was not very sharp.

Interesting pop corn thread - I use 120/380 flap wheels for touching up my turning chisels well I mainly use a skew not a luxury but works well for me

For axe heads also after grinding
Careful not to get over zealous with sharpening that axe or you just end up with a very long handled cut throat razor

Back