seasoning holly - more questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavin e

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm very new to woodturning so please bear in mind that i know next to nothing - if i ask a stupid question please feel free to point out why!

I've been given five 5ft x 10inch logs of holly, brought down by the recent high winds, and want to know what i should do with them to get the best from them. Some people seem to say that i should seal and store them as they are for a few years, whereas others seem to suggest i can cut them into workable blanks and rough turn pieces out of them almost straight away, as long as i leave them for a couple of months to dry before doing a final cut and finish.

After reading what i can find here about holly, it seems that the timber is likely to split and twist no matter what i do, so i'm a bit confused. Please help.

Hi Gavin,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I have moved your post to the turning board, I think it will get more attention here. 8)

Hello Gavin.
Welcome to the forum.
I was given some Holly a few weeks back and also asked the same question.
I was originally told that it had been cut down for about 18 months but then found out it was more like 4 years.
I have done what was said on here and the latest is that the piece i brought into the house is now starting to crack :cry:
The rest which was left in the shed still seems o.k.
I have turned a couple of pieces that were offcuts and they seem fine still.
I am also trying Chas's meths drying method,which also to date seems o.k :D
Yours is freshly felled,and given the difficulties of drying timber,Holly in particular,i would try the meths method for quicker drying :wink:
Hope this helps.
Paul .J.

Welcome to the forum,Gavin :D

Paul has it summed up very well - holly is a lovely wood to turn,but pretty awful to dry out :(

Andrew

HI

I cut down a holly tree for one of my wifes work colleagues 2 years ago and for my troubles he let me keep the wood. :wink:

The trunk was about 8' x 7", I cut 2 18" long logs from it and sealed the ends with PVA. The rest I cut into lengths of about 10" and cut in half removing the pith and sealed the ends with PVA. Following advice from others I stored the wood in cool place out of direct sunlight. I also stored it standing upright and away from any other wood as I was told that if I did not do this it would discolour.

I checked it after about 2 weeks and the logs were starting to split from the centre outwards. So I cut them up as I did the rest of it.

I am now turning this wood which is down to about 12% moisture and it is still white and most of it is split free. About 5 bits have minor splits in them and on further examination these all have some of the pith still in them.

Hope this helps.

john

Latest posts

Back