Screwfix catalogues disappear.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to me the main advantage of click & collect is that I don’t waste time and petrol going to buy something that is not in stock at my local Screwfix. However, having said that, their stock levels often seem to be lower than they used to be. Maybe it’s me. I mainly go for electrical stuff.

In 2nd year primary we were bribed to learn our times table by our teacher. If you could recite a times table - one two is two, two twos are four etc. in a singy sort of way you could have your carton of milk for your morning break. We're talking 1963/4. Nice memories..

In 2nd year primary we were bribed to learn our times table by our teacher. If you could recite a times table - one two is two, two twos are four etc. in a singy sort of way you could have your carton of milk for your morning break. We're talking 1963/4. Nice memories..
We had 1/3 pint glass bottles. That continued into secondary school, by which time the large majority of pupils weren't interested, and it was thrown away in vast quantities. I used to drink 3 or 4 bottles a day.
Much as I disliked Margaret Thatcher, I'm not convinced that the milk snatching thing was such a bad idea.

We were bribed as well (a couple of years earlier) - if we couldn't write them out in the time allotted we missed break time.

If I cannot find what I want on a webstore quickly, if they just can't be bothered making an easily navigable website, then I don't waste my time with it and go elsewhere. Getting rid of catalogues is all well and good in this digital age but there's often need for me when stock taking in the workshop to make a list of what I need for the forthcoming month and having a few up to date catalogues means I can quickly scan through, make a note of the order numbers and when I get some office time, set aside time for ordering. Quite often the catalogues will also throw up a few things I didn't know I needed and they'd get ordered too :).

Whilst suppliers generally foot the bill for producing catalogues and with everyone cutting back to generate efficiencies, its unsurprising that more companies are deleting catalogues for in store screens or for web only orders. Personally, I think this is a retrograde step and it removes what has become an institution as there are a lot of plus points to having a physical catalogue. I loathe on line catalogues you click through as if they were a good alternative. I cannot scribble on those, I find most difficult to read and end up enlarging them making it all quite awkward and I also prefer to limit PC time to a bare minimum.

Whilst some may claim it's greener to go digital, I reject that argument. There are many families in Aberdeen for example who might be on the bread line if the UK's premiere paper producers there go out of business, along with the forestry industry supporting the industry. Hundreds would lose their livelihoods, along with transport companies not to mention the large engineering support industry supporting the industry. Why can't do gooders realise it's real people's livelihoods at stake? All this green talk means a lot pushing the debate may be in for a rude awakening when it all starts having real impacts on the cost of living but that's an argument for a different thread.

I prefer looking through the Screwfix catalogue to their awful website. Ditto for many other websites. The other annoyance is some of the click and collect services where you aren't told when something is back in stock or worse, it's shown in stock on the website but isn't, so you end up waiting two weeks for something needed in a few days. I've cancelled orders and gone elsewhere when this happens often paying more but at least getting what I needed. On the whole though, Screwfix's click and select service has proved excellent. I can pop half a mile down the road to my nearest store, show them the order number on my phone and I'm back in the car within minutes.

Whilst some may claim it's greener to go digital, I reject that argument. There are many families in Aberdeen for example who might be on the bread line if the UK's premiere paper producers there go out of business, along with the forestry industry supporting the industry. Hundreds would lose their livelihoods, along with transport companies not to mention the large engineering support industry supporting the industry. Why can't do gooders realise it's real people's livelihoods at stake? All this green talk means a lot pushing the debate may be in for a rude awakening when it all starts having real impacts on the cost of living but that's an argument for a different thread.
I don't see how us all paying money, even if we do not shop at screwfix, to keep the catalogue in operation is not a good argument.

We have just had a very hot summer. You want people to have the expense of installing AC and the cost of running it?
We are getting more intense rainfall, are you prepared for the higher insurance and the disruption to peoples lives?
Are you prepared to pay for the harbour in Aberdeen to be remodeled or are you prepared to put the people there out of work?

I do not know how much CO2 is reduced by going digital but whilst there will be a net reduction I would guess there will be a fair bit produced by the increased electricity demand.

Last edited:
If I cannot find what I want on a webstore quickly, if they just can't be bothered making an easily navigable website, then I don't waste my time with it and go elsewhere. Getting rid of catalogues is all well and good in this digital age but there's often need for me when stock taking in the workshop to make a list of what I need for the forthcoming month and having a few up to date catalogues means I can quickly scan through, make a note of the order numbers and when I get some office time, set aside time for ordering. Quite often the catalogues will also throw up a few things I didn't know I needed and they'd get ordered too :).

Whilst suppliers generally foot the bill for producing catalogues and with everyone cutting back to generate efficiencies, its unsurprising that more companies are deleting catalogues for in store screens or for web only orders. Personally, I think this is a retrograde step and it removes what has become an institution as there are a lot of plus points to having a physical catalogue. I loathe on line catalogues you click through as if they were a good alternative. I cannot scribble on those, I find most difficult to read and end up enlarging them making it all quite awkward and I also prefer to limit PC time to a bare minimum.

I prefer looking through the Screwfix catalogue to their awful website. Ditto for many other websites. The other annoyance is some of the click and collect services where you aren't told when something is back in stock or worse, it's shown in stock on the website but isn't, so you end up waiting two weeks for something needed in a few days. I've cancelled orders and gone elsewhere when this happens often paying more but at least getting what I needed. On the whole though, Screwfix's click and select service has proved excellent. I can pop half a mile down the road to my nearest store, show them the order number on my phone and I'm back in the car within minutes.
I sympathize with those who lose their jobs, but that's progress, and it's been going on since mechanized looms were introduced, if not longer.

On Wednesday I ordered two things from TS within an hour got a text saying one thing was ready , Then on Thursday got a further message saying other thing was ready wifey went to town and said she would pick them up she then rings me to say one item was not there and they were having problems as delivery drivers were on strike so won't be there till Friday , She brought the one item back at about 2 ish and at three o'clock I get a text saying second item is ready for pick up , Got up this morning to a text from Evri saying your tool station parcel is out for delivery estimated time 11 and 12 not a del at home a del at tool station . If this is progress and the future we can expect my Stone Axe and Flint business is a sure winner P.S. the 2 items were two 13 amp plugs and a 2 gang extension socket "click and forget"

On Wednesday I ordered two things from TS within an hour got a text saying one thing was ready , Then on Thursday got a further message saying other thing was ready wifey went to town and said she would pick them up she then rings me to say one item was not there and they were having problems as delivery drivers were on strike so won't be there till Friday , She brought the one item back at about 2 ish and at three o'clock I get a text saying second item is ready for pick up , Got up this morning to a text from Evri saying your tool station parcel is out for delivery estimated time 11 and 12 not a del at home a del at tool station . If this is progress and the future we can expect my Stone Axe and Flint business is a sure winner P.S. the 2 items were two 13 amp plugs and a 2 gang extension socket "click and forget"
You should not order such obscure products.

If the stated delivery date and confirmation is a lie then it is useless.

I don't see how us all pay money, even if we do not shop at screwfix, to keep the catalogue in operation is not a good argument.

We have just had a very hot summer. You want people to have the expense of installing AC and the cost of running it?
We are getting more intense rainfall, are you prepared for the higher insurance and the disruption to peoples lives?
Are you prepared to pay for the harbour in Aberdeen to be remodeled or are you prepared to put the people there out of work?

I do not know how much CO2 is reduced by going digital but whilst there will be a net reduction I would guess there will be a fair bit produced by the increased electricity demand.
As I said, perhaps the topic for another thread and not something I wish to get embroiled with here. For what it's worth there is NO link between what I said and you needing to run out and buy air conditioning nor indeed, a proven link with catalogues even remotely having any affect on climate! There is even much scepticism in the whole climate debate amongst professionals (such as Prof John Christies views on the matter) so perhaps best to let that one rest and stick to woodworking topics?

As I said, perhaps the topic for another thread and not something I wish to get embroiled with here. For what it's worth there is NO link between what I said and you needing to run out and buy air conditioning nor indeed, a proven link with catalogues even remotely having any affect on climate! There is even much scepticism in the whole climate debate amongst professionals (such as Prof John Christies views on the matter) so perhaps best to let that one rest and stick to woodworking topics?
There certainly is a link to your desire to ignore pollution and the costs that that pollution will cause. The only thing up for debate is the amount of pollution caused. I don't think the catalogues cause a large amount of pollution.

Human forced climate change is excepted science, there is no serious debate. If you want to start a climate denial, flat earth, young earth creationist or space lizard thread you are free to do so. If you post denials of science in other threads you will get a reply.

There certainly is a link to your desire to ignore pollution and the costs that that pollution will cause. The only thing up for debate is the amount of pollution caused. I don't think the catalogues cause a large amount of pollution.

Human forced climate change is excepted science, there is no serious debate. If you want to start a climate denial, flat earth, young earth creationist or space lizard thread you are free to do so. If you post denials of science in other threads you will get a reply.
Well, sorry for having the affrontary to hold an opinion which obviously doesn't align with yours! Where, in your wildest imagination did I claim to ignore pollution? Utter and complete nonsense. As for pollution, be specific if you level such accusations and don't try and fob me off with generalisations. Back up that statement or retract it. Human forced climate change is far from "accepted science" at least in magnitude, and more "accepted political science" or at least skewed politically to bringing on the downfall of 3rd world countries especially by forcing economic ruin by such theorising whilst conveniently ignoring actual data in place of climatology models. It's current politically accepted opinion and there are certainly two sides to that argument. No one is denying humans have impacted on climate change but there is certainly differing opinions within scientific circles as to the cause and effect (ref Prof John Christies, an expert in this field and also look towards Imperial College London's Climatology dept on the same subject who present some more reasoned cognitive and edifying arguments than the press and politicians). I have been studying this field for years as the consequences are too important to be complacent. I resent completely your obviously ad hominem comments. If you wish to continue a personal debate I am, most amenably, prepared to take this to personal PMs rather than debase an honest thread with such an obviously personal distraction and am willing to do so gladly and with the best and friendliest of intentions.

As the sea levels rise and crops fail I’m sure that the millions of people displaced from their homes and going hungry will take comfort that the Aberdeen paper mills are doing well.

:unsure:🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I like the way you said excepted science.

Back