Screwfix catalogues disappear.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been avoiding them since the new tablets and no catalogue, they are just awkward and slow to use. I would mind less if they had huge screens like Mcdonalds so you could see many items etc.
Even the full website is terribly optimised and seems to have no logical link between similar products.
Now they wont even let you collect your online order from a person, you have to go to a different tablet and type your number in. Its madness. They have lost about £1000 from me so far since they started with this nonsense.

Ollie

I have been avoiding them since the new tablets and no catalogue, they are just awkward and slow to use. I would mind less if they had huge screens like Mcdonalds so you could see many items etc.
Even the full website is terribly optimised and seems to have no logical link between similar products.
Now they wont even let you collect your online order from a person, you have to go to a different tablet and type your number in. Its madness. They have lost about £1000 from me so far since they started with this nonsense.

Ollie
I have not used the tablets yet.
Just check online to see if in stock write the number down on a piece of paper and go there. Their system does not like my card so can not do click and collect.
Give the person at the till the paper they type it in then they ask for my name and address.
I decline to give my name and address. They say ok and override the question on the till.
Then I pay and they get the product.

If they said I had to use the tablet I would just say I could not read. If they refused to serve me because I did not give my name and address that would open them up to legal problems.

I do prefer to have a catalogue even though use the website via my PC (I hate using mobiles) however I often can't find what I am looking for online and normally I can find it in the printed catalogue. Personally I think it's a backward step after all the paper used can be recycled over an over rather than being wasted. The real reason whatever they say is they think it will save them money, they may do but might also lose some custom.
Many a time I've had their search engine turn up zilch when searching for something by it's known name - even Gold screws, but search 'screws' & then every screw in the book comes up! PITA!!

Would anyone want to go back to the days of enormous holiday catalogues? I can still remember what they smelled like and the rather dismal experience of wading through endless photos of concrete tower blocks.

Would anyone want to go back to the days of enormous holiday catalogues? I can still remember what they smelled like and the rather dismal experience of wading through endless photos of concrete tower blocks.
People can read faster off paper than a screen. You can easily flick back and forward in a catalogue and compare two catalogues.

On line allows for current prices and stock levels (not always accurate at screwfix). On line also allows access to far more suppliers. If you know what you want and how it is described, online is better than a catalogue.

Online and catalogues are different tools why not have both. If you had a nail gun would you get rid of your hammer.

A bigger problem for them if everyone goes online is that they might purchase elsewhere. When you just picked up their catalogue you found what you wanted and purchased but going online is opening up the whole market place. I was looking for some connectors, looked online and found screwfix was more expensive than several other outlets and so purchased elsewhere.

Many a time I've had their search engine turn up zilch when searching for something by it's known name - even Gold screws, but search 'screws' & then every screw in the book comes up! PITA!!
I just tried this myself as I frequently use Goldscrews. First I suspected that using two words was perhaps the issue although it shouldn't be - And it wasn't. Using a PC when I searched on "Goldscrews" or "Gold screws" the site came up with the same result, 40 Goldscrews and a "Brand" menu to the left with Goldscrew (40) already ticked. Various additional or alternate choices including "Goldscrew Plus" and "Quicksilver", but also some which have little relation to the original search term, but I suppose of some use to see what other woodscrews might be available.

Searching "Screws" comes up with a myriad of items, but selecting "Woodscrews" from the menu enables the same selection as above, but with lots more choices of Brand and Drive Type. Selecting "Goldscrew" comes up with the same 40 items.

Now, there may be other Goldscrews supplied by Screwfix which do not appear and may not be in their database. That's a system management problem, not the website's.

Using a smartphone results in the same menus and selection filters albeit with an appropriately different screen presentation to suit the smaller workspace.

I expect that your browser must be set to accept cookies for all this to work properly. It's not necessary to log in to screwfix.

I agree that Screwfix can present the irritating "Please wait whilst we update your selection" a bit too often and for too long. That is the website's problem - Or the underlying database(s).

Personally I would prefer not to wade through a paper catalogue but clearly there are many who would prefer to do so. I think it's simply a reflection on the current situation where any supplier might target the costs of publishing a catalogue with today's economic and supply chain issues facing them.

I find their website excellent.

Someone mentioned a 'ballcocks' I think.

I entered 'ballcock' is the 'what are you looking for?' search box and despite what was once known as a 'ballcock' is nowadays called a 'float valve', it knew what I wanted, showed the full range of what they stock, and for the less technically aware, gave the following explanation as to what a float valve does:

"Ballcocks or float valves control the filling of a cistern or tank so that it is ready to flush. Also known as ballcock valves or toilet ball valves, some of these products can also be used to fill header and loft tanks. When these parts become faulty, they can cause a tank or toilet to constantly fill and the water would then either constantly flow into the toilet bowl or out through an overflow, wasting water. The range has brass and plastic versions and also includes bottom or side entry types".

Ballcocks | Toilet Spares | Screwfix.com

I can check the stock in local stores (of which there are four), can order online click and collect or just visit. If I was perverse enough to not want to order online, if stock levels are low, I could ring them and ask them to reserve it for me, which I know from experience they'd be happy to do.

I can also browse the online catalogue, which I find very well laid out. If for example I select 'Heating and Plumbing' from the drop-down menu, it gives sub-menus of 'Radiators, central heating, plumbing, guttering and drainage, fires stoves & electric heating, and ventilation'.
If I go to 'plumbing' I'll find ballcocks/float valves. among all the other plumbing stuff.

I'm not sure what more they can do to be helpful.

I can understand people who aren't computer literate and don't have wi-fi whinging about the loss of a paper catalogue. They're the time-wasters that the other 99% of Screwfix customers get stuck behind in the queue. But guys on this forum do have computers, know how to use them and have wi-fi access, so what's the big deal?

And I should add that in all the years I've used Screwfix, I've found the staff helpful and efficient.

When the government dropped the mandatory wearing of covid mask, still urging people to wear them, I was quite impressed with the notice on the door at my nearest local branch:

"You no longer need to wear a mask to comply with the law, but you do to comply with the rules of this store, for the protection of our staff. If you haven't brought one, we'll give you one. If that isn't acceptable, please shop elsewhere'.

Spot on.

what was once known as a 'ballcock' is nowadays called a 'float valve'
I think that was because it insinuates gender and although normal everyday people will realise it has no gender being what it is there are those that cannot accept gender and might be offended, you know the sort, those who failed there biology exam and cannot accept only women can become pregnant or menstruate.

I find their website excellent.

Someone mentioned a 'ballcocks' I think.

I entered 'ballcock' is the 'what are you looking for?' search box and despite what was once known as a 'ballcock' is nowadays called a 'float valve', it knew what I wanted, showed the full range of what they stock, and for the less technically aware, gave the following explanation as to what a float valve does:

"Ballcocks or float valves control the filling of a cistern or tank so that it is ready to flush. Also known as ballcock valves or toilet ball valves, some of these products can also be used to fill header and loft tanks. When these parts become faulty, they can cause a tank or toilet to constantly fill and the water would then either constantly flow into the toilet bowl or out through an overflow, wasting water. The range has brass and plastic versions and also includes bottom or side entry types".

Ballcocks | Toilet Spares | Screwfix.com

I can check the stock in local stores (of which there are four), can order online click and collect or just visit. If I was perverse enough to not want to order online, if stock levels are low, I could ring them and ask them to reserve it for me, which I know from experience they'd be happy to do.

I can also browse the online catalogue, which I find very well laid out. If for example I select 'Heating and Plumbing' from the drop-down menu, it gives sub-menus of 'Radiators, central heating, plumbing, guttering and drainage, fires stoves & electric heating, and ventilation'.
If I go to 'plumbing' I'll find ballcocks/float valves. among all the other plumbing stuff.

I'm not sure what more they can do to be helpful.

I can understand people who aren't computer literate and don't have wi-fi whinging about the loss of a paper catalogue. They're the time-wasters that the other 99% of Screwfix customers get stuck behind in the queue. But guys on this forum do have computers, know how to use them and have wi-fi access, so what's the big deal?

And I should add that in all the years I've used Screwfix, I've found the staff helpful and efficient.

When the government dropped the mandatory wearing of covid mask, still urging people to wear them, I was quite impressed with the notice on the door at my nearest local branch:

"You no longer need to wear a mask to comply with the law, but you do to comply with the rules of this store, for the protection of our staff. If you haven't brought one, we'll give you one. If that isn't acceptable, please shop elsewhere'.

Spot on.
Yes if you know what you are looking for you can find it.

Screwfix was advertising for the general public to use them.
It seems a bit unfair to blame the general public for then using them.

I think that was because it insinuates gender and although normal everyday people will realise it has no gender being what it is there are those that cannot accept gender and might be offended, you know the sort, those who failed there biology exam and cannot accept only women can become pregnant or menstruate.
Could also because they are rarely ball shaped these days, and "float valve" covers a broader range of items.
But on balance, I think the term "ballcock" has been changed just to annoy the anti-woke brigade.

Yes if you know what you are looking for you can find it.

Screwfix was advertising for the general public to use them.
It seems a bit unfair to blame the general public for then using them.
If anyone doesn't know what they're looking for, they can browse the full catalogue as before, but online. Or they can go to say B&Q and seek advice, where many of the products seen at Screwfix can be found, albeit at a higher price because of higher operating costs.

I'd have thought that most people had at least some broad idea what they were after - decorating, electrical, plumbing etc, and just browse that section of the online catalogue.

I think that most of those in this thread who are critical of the demise of the catalogue on this forum, have some level of expertise - some are professionals.

Just my thoughts.

Not arguing - just saying.

Having just cleared out my desk, prior to moving it out of the way for some building work to be carried out, I've had ample opportunity to bemoan the fact that its cupboards are crammed with catalogues. From a nostalgia point of view, it's nice to keep hold of a few of the older ones, but, really, I could do with the space. Admittedly, the Screwfix catalogues are fairly small, but I've just chucked out a Hafele one that was the size of an encyclopedia.
I now find it much more convenient to order stuff online,. Gone are the days of the comprehensive, and exhaustive catalogues of the past. There is probably still a need for companies to tout there wares with smaller, selective part-catalogues, but I believe the days of catalogues, as we have known them, is over

I think that was because it insinuates gender and although normal everyday people will realise it has no gender being what it is there are those that cannot accept gender and might be offended, you know the sort, those who failed their biology exam and cannot accept only women can become pregnant or menstruate.
No more 'male' and 'female' fittings?

I guess this M&F elbow will become a non-binary elbow?

1669306370644.png

No more 'master and slave' cylinders. The preferred alternatives are now:

'Primary and secondary'. Alternatively: Primary and replica. Primary and standby. Leader and follower'. Conductor and follower. Source and sink.

No more 'male' and 'female' fittings?

I guess this M&F elbow will become a non-binary elbow?

View attachment 147878

No more 'master and slave' cylinders. The preferred alternatives are now:

'Primary and secondary'. Alternatively: Primary and replica. Primary and standby. Leader and follower'. Conductor and follower. Source and sink.
Client and server cylinders.

@Yorkieguy I agree with you on most what you say and the world moves forward. I think they need to implement better indexing on the tablets. If I'm searching 'washers' I don't need to see pages of bolts that fit washers too. If you searched 'washers' in the paper catalogue, the page'(s) indexed where indeed washers. I'm sure they will organise better in time.

And +1 for your comment on staff being helpful. Always found they do their best to assist.

I doubt they have any intention of "organising" things. I believe they leave everything mixed up in the hope that they'll sell more if people have to wade through lists of irrelevances.
I think its a bit like the supermarkets moving stuff around now and then so you discover new stuff.

Marketing departments need to do things to justify their jobs. They may even come up with a winning idea every now and then. The supermarket conundrum:
  • do the cakes go next to the bread,
  • should the jam be next to the muffins and teacakes
  • should the marmalade be adjacent to the jam or the bread for toast
  • do the muffins and crumpets go next to the cakes
  • does the tea go with the bread to make toast or other hot drinks
  • should the store be laid out on a meal theme basis - breakfast, lunches, dinners
  • why put frozen veg next to the frozen desserts or better next to the frozen meat or fish
There are no doubt folk in SF and TS who agonise over whether screws should be searched by length, head type, head size, maker, thread type, countersink, gauge, colour, material etc etc. It relies upon all screws having their characteristics captured in the database.

The last point is critical. Just clicked on SF "woodscrews" - it tells me there are 644 products
Click on PZ - there are 499 products
Click on TX - there are 114 products
No other head types to click on (apparently). So where have the other 31 products gone???
Look down the page and find some Phillips, Hex, Slotted - perhaps all is not lost!

Back