Rant about screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although irritating at times my bank (Halifax) forces me to use my pin after so many contactless transactions, especially if they are in fairly rapid succession. The latest scam is where your phone and card are nicked then large purchases can be made by using another phone to video your mobile as the security code is sent via text. As long as your phone is on the code is apparently momentarily displayed over the blank screen. I've just been told this and need to find out how to disable it.
The lass covering Jeremy Vines radio show on Friday (iirc) had somebody on from one of the networks. They were saying to switch off messaging preview, ensure the phone is set to lock and require a PIN as a minimum or even biometrics (eye scan, face recognition, or fingerprint), and a PIN for the SIM card ... sounds a lot, but the way this lass described it made sense.

The SIM PIN means that if the SIM is removed to another phone, you'd need the code to actuate the SIM when switching the 'other' (tea-leafs) phone on. Switch your phone off, and the only hassle is having to enter the SIM PIN to restart your phone.

Switching off message preview speaks for itself .. no preview, no quick view unless you unlock the phone.

That was the gist of it, but it all made sense just half listening whilst working so that may a simplistic explanation.

I keep the only card I actually carry in an RFID blocking pouch. They are as cheap as chips from the big river.

I was in Screwfix this week and the tablets broke. Another annoying thing when looking online is that it tells you an item is in stock so you pay for it because you need it that day and lo and behold it’s not in stock and is on its way from the main warehouse tomorrow! Grrrr.
Exactly why I've sat on my butt for the last two days with only mains water in the kitchen, I'm still waiting for the text to say my plumbing fixtures are in.
And while I'm here, I was searching on Screwfix for large opening adjustable wrenches couldn't find any information in the product description about jaw opening sizes but for some reason the length of the handle seems to be more important. If it wasn't for others asking the same question in the FAQ section I would be none the wiser.
Day 3 and still waiting for a text.

No cash = not being robbed, either as an individual or the poor person who has to drop the takings off at the bank.
No cash = less mistakes by staff
No cash = less cost for the businesses
No cash = faster checkout.
No cash = less fraud
No cash = end of black economy…..yep everyone should pay taxes and contribute
No cash = positive proof you bought something, exactly where and when
No cash = less crime

Roll on No cash, Im sure some will poke holes in the realities on a No cash society. Finland is almost there, when I ran a company there it was brilliant. Never ever took cash, never needed it.

The luddites hated progress too……
No cash equalled me walking out of the nearest fish and chip shop to my house the other day as all I had for payment was my debit card…not sure how that’s going to help their turnover increase.

As the title suggests I am annoyed with Screwfix. I have been a customer as long as I can remember.
They have always had the book in store, they used to do the nice big one with laminated pages, then during the lockdowns they stopped that and just put a dog eared copy of the small book on the counter which was fine as well, but one of the staff told me a while ago soon there would be no more books at all.
That day has arrived and it is beyond bloody annoying.

So now they have some kind of Ipad or tablet fixed to the bench which appears to be running similar software as the phone app which I reluctantly installed last year.
Basically 4 items visible per "page" on the screen.

I looked for the stuff I wanted and managed to find some things but there is no ability to easily "browse".
Sometimes I am not quite sure what plumbing connector I want or maybe I am after a tool but not sure which one suits my purpose and budget.
When you have the book you can easily and more importantly quickly compare many items on that page or flick to the next page etc.

I think it took me 10 minutes to find what I wanted, with the catalogue it would have been maybe 2.
I am inclined to frequent the toolstation 300 metres away who still have a book ( for now ) a bit more.

I am not anti technology by any means, quite the opposite. I do use the app to pre-order often but to my mind this is not really "progress" but a step backwards it is actually less efficient.
Not to mention a more annoying experience overall. If you know precisely what you want I guess its ok but even if I want, say 4 x 50mm screws there will be several options to look at.
I also suspect they may break down after a while and then you wont be able order anything, even a really knackered book still works, its the appearance of improvement

I am reminded of when Axminster got rid of the book, which I said was a bad idea at the time, people like to browse and its handy to have one in the workshop. Well they bought the book back a couple of years later. I am hoping screwfix might learn from this.

Rant over

Ollie
There website is Dire amount if times if trying on phone it gives page of updating pref each time click then end up not getting anything as give up.

Going to add Travis Perkins to the list of places I don't buy from any more.

3 sheets of 18mm structural hardwood ply delivered. Previously very happy with this product. Cuts on most surfaces, rippled top veneer due to voids below punched through in places. Tried to leave a review but their site does not acknowledge the address of the branch I used (2 Somers Rd Rugby) even when copied from their site. After having wood delivered wet (28%), twisted, mildewed, incorrectly sized and split this is the end. Anyone recommend an alternative for ply?

Dropped one from the top of a radio mast once - just after the boss said we are not ensuring then as it costs to much - it landed on concrete, there are a lot of bits in an I-Phone some really small.
I dropped an old Motorola RT from a radio mast, Fell about 150’ and landed on solid concrete. Battery pack took the impact and was completely destroyed but the radio worked fine. They don’t make them like that any more.

No cash-
Completely off topic but we have a lovely little Chinese take away nearby and used to treat ourselves now and again. Always busy with a steady string of customers and now will not accept card payments. Cash only now which is a real pain as there is not a cash point for a few miles.
I hope HMRC don’t think they are avoiding paying their dues.
Rarely go to the trouble nowadays tbh.
Least my waste line benefits……….

No cash-
Completely off topic but we have a lovely little Chinese take away nearby and used to treat ourselves now and again. Always busy with a steady string of customers and now will not accept card payments. Cash only now which is a real pain as there is not a cash point for a few miles.
I hope HMRC don’t think they are avoiding paying their dues.
Rarely go to the trouble nowadays tbh.
Least my waste line benefits……….
ours never has, I have to go and withdraw cash just to pay for a chinese takeaway

Do these screens give up to date stock info? The old way you used to get to the till to find out half your list is next day only.

Back