Thicknesser advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsjwilson

Established Member
Reaction score
So I am a relatively beginner hobby woodworker in the little spare time from full time work and family with 2 kids, and up until the summer I was only able to do things in the house with hand tools, moving from room to room as and when dust escaped and provoked marital stress. Since the autumn, I have had a garage space, and have picked up a few 2nd hand tools, including a war time walker turner.

The kids have also both have taken an interest in wood working too and both wanted woodworking space in the garage and books for christmas!! This is great, but the downside is they have also started tucking into my reclaimed wood ive built up over the years. However, we are very lucky to have gained a decent amount of wood thanks to recent storms (cedar, poplar, ash, large mature pine and fir I have cut in 3m lengths, most is around 50-60cm diameter, some almost 90cm, and small amounts of beach, maple, and cherry) and i have access to an alaskan mill to process this. This will take some time to cut and dry. However, I'd like to know what I should be looking for to prep this further so I can look out for a good deals over however long it takes. I have previously done some hand prep with hand planes, but while I can get things to a fine surface, I struggle to get things to a flat AND consistent thickness, which is probably just my lack of experience.

Eventually, I would like to be making tables, desks etc and jointing wood for this. I have started looking at jointers and thicknessers, but unlike other tools, these do not appear anywhere like as often as table saws, pillar drills, and they seem to maintain their higher price with age too. There is alot of machines out there too, so I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

What would be sufficient for my needs, and stage? What are good makes old, and good makes new? Are these things inevitably heinous in decibels? Does having wood coming from chainsaw milling impose particular requirements? Any experience, advice or pointing to helpful site appreciated? Thanks for reading.

The base level would be a metabo / record 260 machine.

Above that you gave new Aximinster and charnwood stuff and the hammer and fielder etc

Or you go second hand with a old British machine.

For a garage setup I would concur with the RP/Metabo HC260 type machines. That's the direction I'm heading so I would say that wouldn't I? They come up pretty frequently on the s/h market so set up searches on eBay and Facebook and you'll get a feel for the market.
I would advise getting your timber milled asap as it's going to take a year or 2 (1 year per inch of thickness) to get to a usable MC.
Brian

PS Beech unless you're near the seaside 😉

You could also consider a DwWalt planer thicknesser. Something like a used but still lots of life left in it DW50, or slightly later model, should be about £300-400.
I owned one for several years and it really did perform well. The only part that you would need to check is the rubber coated rollers. I had to change one, but it was a very easy and not overly expensive job.

Colin

You could also consider a DwWalt planer thicknesser. Something like a used but still lots of life left in it DW50, or slightly later model, should be about £300-400.
I owned one for several years and it really did perform well. The only part that you would need to check is the rubber coated rollers. I had to change one, but it was a very easy and not overly expensive job.

Colin
Very similar to the 260 machines just with motor out the back?

For a garage setup I would concur with the RP/Metabo HC260 type machines. That's the direction I'm heading so I would say that wouldn't I? They come up pretty frequently on the s/h market so set up searches on eBay and Facebook and you'll get a feel for the market.
I would advise getting your timber milled asap as it's going to take a year or 2 (1 year per inch of thickness) to get to a usable MC.
Brian

PS Beech unless you're near the seaside 😉
Thank you Yojevol and all of you for your responses, which are helpful.

Can I ask, the HC260 type machines seems to come from a number of different companies. Is this just a branding, or do these have different builds and quality. What sort of money would you be looking to obtain a second hand one for?

Also, Jameshow, by older second hand British machines, would this be the sort of thing mentioned?

Older planer

Thank you Yojevol and all of you for your responses, which are helpful.

Can I ask, the HC260 type machines seems to come from a number of different companies. Is this just a branding, or do these have different builds and quality. What sort of money would you be looking to obtain a second hand one for?

Also, Jameshow, by older second hand British machines, would this be the sort of thing mentioned?

Older planer
Yes something like that!

I ask, the HC260 type machines seems to come from a number of different companies. Is this just a branding, or do these have different builds and quality. What sort of money would you be looking to obtain a second hand one for?
It is largely a matter of branding so the quality level is consistent across the range. However there are build differences, eg, RP supply theirs with CI tables, but to take the extra weight, they have a heavier support system with retractable castors.. They also have a cutter guard attached to the body rather than one attached to the outfeed table as is the case for the aluminium tabled machines. See the RP one just sold by Murphy here on the forum for £250 - a bargain
I paid £390 for mine a year ago and I saw an RP in nice condition on FB for £400 recently. I also saw somebody trying for £700 for Metabo but that's towards the price of a new one.
Brian

It is largely a matter of branding so the quality level is consistent across the range. However there are build differences, eg, RP supply theirs with CI tables, but to take the extra weight, they have a heavier support system with retractable castors.. They also have a cutter guard attached to the body rather than one attached to the outfeed table as is the case for the aluminium tabled machines. See the RP one just sold by Murphy here on the forum for £250 - a bargain
I paid £390 for mine a year ago and I saw an RP in nice condition on FB for £400 recently. I also saw somebody trying for £700 for Metabo but that's towards the price of a new one.
Brian
Thanks again Yojevol. I am finding a few labelled as HC60 saying they are equivalent to record HC260. Is this the same machine?

I can recommend an SMC Minimax planer thicknesser, it sounds as though you have a lot of timber to process and will need at least a semi professional machine. I’ve had mine for 15 years and it’s been faultless, with hundreds of Oak boards passed across and through it. Mine has Tersa blades and the finish is almost good enough to finish, we’ll it would be for most lol.
Ian

The stepup in quality, and weight, from the Metabo/Dewalt/RP machines in the second hand market takes you into older cast iron machines. Like the sedgwick that you linked, or machines by wadkin, startrite etc. As with any second hand machine condition is key, your ability to spot things like worn bearings and bushes, and tables out of alignment. Bearings should be easy for any machine but other parts are likely only available for the newer machines. Many older, larger machines will be three phase, which you can manage via inverters etc but it is a step up in difficultly/hassle.

I favour Gumtree over FB Market place and ebay for finding bargains. The Sedgwick you listed would serve you very well so long as it's in good condition, and has all the parts. Looking at the advert I'd be going to have a look at it. The thing i would be fixing is installing a DOL switch, as the main switch is not designed for starting a machine like that, and I'd be trying to get £50-100 off the price to account for that.

Fitz

Back