Rant about screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests I am annoyed with Screwfix. I have been a customer as long as I can remember.
They have always had the book in store, they used to do the nice big one with laminated pages, then during the lockdowns they stopped that and just put a dog eared copy of the small book on the counter which was fine as well, but one of the staff told me a while ago soon there would be no more books at all.
That day has arrived and it is beyond bloody annoying.

So now they have some kind of Ipad or tablet fixed to the bench which appears to be running similar software as the phone app which I reluctantly installed last year.
Basically 4 items visible per "page" on the screen.

I looked for the stuff I wanted and managed to find some things but there is no ability to easily "browse".
Sometimes I am not quite sure what plumbing connector I want or maybe I am after a tool but not sure which one suits my purpose and budget.
When you have the book you can easily and more importantly quickly compare many items on that page or flick to the next page etc.

I think it took me 10 minutes to find what I wanted, with the catalogue it would have been maybe 2.
I am inclined to frequent the toolstation 300 metres away who still have a book ( for now ) a bit more.

I am not anti technology by any means, quite the opposite. I do use the app to pre-order often but to my mind this is not really "progress" but a step backwards it is actually less efficient.
Not to mention a more annoying experience overall. If you know precisely what you want I guess its ok but even if I want, say 4 x 50mm screws there will be several options to look at.
I also suspect they may break down after a while and then you wont be able order anything, even a really knackered book still works, its the appearance of improvement

I am reminded of when Axminster got rid of the book, which I said was a bad idea at the time, people like to browse and its handy to have one in the workshop. Well they bought the book back a couple of years later. I am hoping screwfix might learn from this.

Rant over

Ollie

You will have to spend more time on the computer before you go there, but that might lose Screwfix the business if it comes up cheaper elsewhere. I know exactly how you feel because you may go there for X but remember you need some fasteners and it was easy to just flick through the pages and come up with something that fits the bill. Screwfix has watered down there product ranges and cheapened a lot, they used to do Heco wood screws but no more.

You will have to spend more time on the computer before you go there, but that might lose Screwfix the business if it comes up cheaper elsewhere. I know exactly how you feel because you may go there for X but remember you need some fasteners and it was easy to just flick through the pages and come up with something that fits the bill. Screwfix has watered down there product ranges and cheapened a lot, they used to do Heco wood screws but no more.
You are right, its more the incidental stuff. "Oh yes I will get one while I am here" sort of thing. Often I will pop in there on my way home in the evening to quickly get something for the next day so I have not been near a computer or looked on my phone to pre order.
I will be inclined to pop in to the toolstation instead.
For me the book is "natural" its the same with reading a novel in paperback vs an ebook, its the same words but not quite the same experience.

Ollie

I went to Screwfix a few days ago and noticed the screens had been installed but were not yet operational. For some years if have frequented Toolstation in preference to Screwfix. I usually do the research online and followed by a click & collect order. My wife often picks it up while she's out & about.
@Ollie78 Have you sent this to S/F. I think they deserve it
Brian

I had the same rant in store the other day. The staff also thought its not going to last. It is awful, slow and if you don't know the specific item you are after, or how it has been listed you are lost.
They have also made the app and website worse - in the plumbing you can't drill down by pile size for fittings!! Drove me insane.
Having seen the mess they made of the website when they had the shops over in Germany you would have thought they had learned.
I understand the amount of paper it uses etc. But there is always a copy in the van. Hopefully they will continue the paper, I wouldn't mind paying a token donation for it either.

I'll bet they want real time online and store matching and no burden of laying out and creating a paper catalog that may have trouble staying current in a high inflation environment.

The flip side of this is that there have been a few places that I've ordered tools from where you automatically get paper catalogs .At one point LV was sending me their large paper catalog and I asked them if I could opt out as I've literally never used it to identify something I wanted to order -always online. They didn't have the ability at the time - those catalogs have to be expensive to produce. Different issue, but same thing - eventually all information points will go to the same dynamic database if they don't already.

I'll bet they want real time online and store matching and no burden of laying out and creating a paper catalog that may have trouble staying current in a high inflation environment.

The flip side of this is that there have been a few places that I've ordered tools from where you automatically get paper catalogs .At one point LV was sending me their large paper catalog and I asked them if I could opt out as I've literally never used it to identify something I wanted to order -always online. They didn't have the ability at the time - those catalogs have to be expensive to produce. Different issue, but same thing - eventually all information points will go to the same dynamic database if they don't already.
I think we need a bit of all the options, as @MJ80 says its valuable to have a book in the van ( I also would pay a token amount for one ) but I agree with you we dont need to be posting catalogues people don`t want.

You could be out of signal and need to know if something is available to solve your problem before driving to somewhere for example.

Part of the move towards "Just download our app" which bothers me is the assumption involved in it. Everyone does not have fast internet on their phone and permenant connection.
I thought this was similarly evident in the attitude of the school during lockdowns when it was online learning. I had to buy a second tablet so both my kids could "attend" school and luckily I do have fast broadband , though it was stretched with my wife working from home too. They Just assumed everyone had these things. I know many people who really struggled with it and just couldn`t do it. I was advocating a weeks worth of work that could be collected on the Monday and returned the following week.
It is the same assumption from businesses like Screwfix that is happening everywhere.

Ollie

Ollie i was going to post the same rant on Saturday for exactly the same reason nw pad system and a retired person explaining how it works showed me and asked me what i wanted , I had the numbers on a note pad with me poped them in not the right thing so had to search for tool clips they came up as in the catalogue in a mixed assortment poly bag so i clicked ok next item had to search for galv nails ok clicked next dry wall fixings clicked ok then i was told to go to the counter where i had to answer a few more questions and then pay the opperator brings back my goods but says sorry no drywall fixings but can order for tomorrow , On walking out of the store noticed the bag of tool clips was in fact jubilee clips not what i wanted so back in que to return item and get refund at this point i was loosing the will to live so told them i was finished shoping with Screwfix for good . I think they have gone a step to far now in the name of progress just like thier parent company B&Q Thanks Ollie for allowing me a rant also

Whilst I really miss the Axminister catalogue I've tuned out of browsing Screwfix and Toolstation catalogues and rarely read them. I do read the special offers pamphlets they send out. Our local Screwfix has the new screen holders setup but it sounds like they're not user friendly. I just use my phone to browse or lookup something and then order on my laptop via my BA Avios account in the vain hope I will be able to use my thousands of air miles which are rapidly going the way of green shield stamps....!!!WARNING WARNING TANGENT ALERT!!!

I was in Screwfix on Friday and noticed the tablets. I always decide what I want before I go but have sometimes looked in the book if I have thought of something else.

I normally compare the prices at Screwfix with other places on a scrap pf paper then write down the number on the little bits of paper there to hand to the person on the till. Obviously they have done away with the little bits of paper so I just handed the person my shopping list. They now know what the price is in Toolstation and what I was going to buy in Argos.

Now they have done away with the little bits of paper:eek: where oh where will i be able to stock up on free pencil's :LOL:
I don't know.

But if you can use wax crayons! there are always plenty on the floor in Wetherspoons late afternoon at the weekends and school holidays.

I think we need a bit of all the options, as @MJ80 says its valuable to have a book in the van ( I also would pay a token amount for one ) but I agree with you we dont need to be posting catalogues people don`t want.

You could be out of signal and need to know if something is available to solve your problem before driving to somewhere for example.

Part of the move towards "Just download our app" which bothers me is the assumption involved in it. Everyone does not have fast internet on their phone and permenant connection.
I thought this was similarly evident in the attitude of the school during lockdowns when it was online learning. I had to buy a second tablet so both my kids could "attend" school and luckily I do have fast broadband , though it was stretched with my wife working from home too. They Just assumed everyone had these things. I know many people who really struggled with it and just couldn`t do it. I was advocating a weeks worth of work that could be collected on the Monday and returned the following week.
It is the same assumption from businesses like Screwfix that is happening everywhere.

Ollie

There's a few other things that they'll like about app only, but one of those (that I don't like as far as it's done here) is a desire to push everyone to an app. especially if you're web browsing from mobile, is that they can collect information from your phone about your patterns, and in the US at least, ask for other permissions.

Too, the app has the default to badger you with notifications, some of them OK (if there's an account or order issue) and some of them obnoxious to me (constant diversion of attention just as a marketing tactic).

I think paper catalogues are going away. I have to read the US code a lot for my day job (as in law, but I'm not a lawyer) and the code and regulations used to be in paper and cost me a few hundred bucks a year. Parts of the code change often, so that wasn't handy, but some of the parts I refer to don't change that much and there is something vastly superior to the spatial sense and ability to easily tab (again spatial) things that you refer to often, as well as leave hand written notes with important bits.

For me, that option is gone and now the code and regs are printed for free on the web - which is good. But they are not always indexable in an easy to read way, especially the long regs that can be listed on a page index that would go down the street if printed and laid end to end. I don't really like it.

Had to go into Screwfix a couple of weeks back and this particular one had a cardboard mock up of the screen with a paper catalogue in it!! Mind you it was Evesham, bandit country over there

From past experience (albeit in another business sector - business stationery) catalogues are heavily subsidised if not "almost free to produce" for the retailer - being paid for by suppliers of products with "advertising/product placement" - a random look at the last couple of Screwfix and Toolstation books suggest ad campaigns for various manufcaturers/supplier, especially de Walt. Perhaps there is another pressure affecting the decision to stop the books?

As the title suggests I am annoyed with Screwfix. I have been a customer as long as I can remember.
They have always had the book in store, they used to do the nice big one with laminated pages, then during the lockdowns they stopped that and just put a dog eared copy of the small book on the counter which was fine as well, but one of the staff told me a while ago soon there would be no more books at all.
That day has arrived and it is beyond bloody annoying.

So now they have some kind of Ipad or tablet fixed to the bench which appears to be running similar software as the phone app which I reluctantly installed last year.
Basically 4 items visible per "page" on the screen.

I looked for the stuff I wanted and managed to find some things but there is no ability to easily "browse".
Sometimes I am not quite sure what plumbing connector I want or maybe I am after a tool but not sure which one suits my purpose and budget.
When you have the book you can easily and more importantly quickly compare many items on that page or flick to the next page etc.

I think it took me 10 minutes to find what I wanted, with the catalogue it would have been maybe 2.
I am inclined to frequent the toolstation 300 metres away who still have a book ( for now ) a bit more.

I am not anti technology by any means, quite the opposite. I do use the app to pre-order often but to my mind this is not really "progress" but a step backwards it is actually less efficient.
Not to mention a more annoying experience overall. If you know precisely what you want I guess its ok but even if I want, say 4 x 50mm screws there will be several options to look at.
I also suspect they may break down after a while and then you wont be able order anything, even a really knackered book still works, its the appearance of improvement

I am reminded of when Axminster got rid of the book, which I said was a bad idea at the time, people like to browse and its handy to have one in the workshop. Well they bought the book back a couple of years later. I am hoping screwfix might learn from this.

Rant over

Ollie
Yes agree went into the local screw fix, small screens, barely visible because of the lighting. LED ceiling lights not in stock. went down the road to CEF, got just what I wanted at the same price.

From past experience (albeit in another business sector - business stationery) catalogues are heavily subsidised if not "almost free to produce" for the retailer - being paid for by suppliers of products with "advertising/product placement" - a random look at the last couple of Screwfix and Toolstation books suggest ad campaigns for various manufcaturers/supplier, especially de Walt. Perhaps there is another pressure affecting the decision to stop the books?
As someone posted before with no catalogues you can up the prices instantly.

With inflation heading to 20% that would be able to track other merchants prices upwards. It could also mean they could charge differently in different places and maybe move prices up and down!. Dry day in spring, price of lawn mowers goes up, back down next week when it rains.

It will also give them more information about your buying.

Back