Wilko and out...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I know the old cop-chase movies said Wilco not Wilko, but you may have read that Wilko has gone into administration. It might re-emerge, leaving it's debts and obligations behind in the way that lots of pre-pack deals do, bad news for suppliers and often employees plus there is often rates and HMRC bills that go unpaid.

That aside, if it does disappear, with its 400 mostly in-town stores it will be a blow for many. Serious diy-ers probably don't use Wilko much, lots of low cost low quality stuff mixed in with a few brands, but if you have no car and depend on public transport there are very few placed now that will sell you an odd light bulb or a few picture hooks. Dunelm had some overlap but are mostly out of town.

A Wilko aside. I went I to 2 recently, one in Chester to buy a tube of bostik for a repair while I was away for a few days, and one local to me to see if they had any lock lube. In both stores the staff seemed cheerful and actively helpful. In one I overheard a mature lady with a loud posh voice asked for help to find a light bulb, her husband had asked her to get one. The assistant carefully went through the options, what's it for, what's the fitting etc., they got to the point of it being a table lamp, screw or bayonet? It's got a green shade if that helps came the reply. The assistant, still helpful and polite, suggested she phone home for more information or brought the old one in. That was 'over and above' customer service in my view, I would have vented much frustration long before.

Anyway, I went to the shed to get out one of those half litre squirty trigger bottles so useful for all sorts. It was branded "Texas". They went long ago, followed by Focus, Homebase hangs on after zillions of changes of ownership, I'm sure there are more but can't remember any names. I suppose Woolworths had useful range of bits and pieces plus sticky stuff, long gone.

Buy new, don't fix, anthem for the modern age.

Very sad, but where I live there is a Poundland directly opposite- lot of people go there as its cheaper and pretty much stock same stuff, but I often go to Wilko simply because they have a human checkout person!

I have only been in a branch four or five times and they do attract customers,just not enough of them to support the current business.The probability of this turn of events was flagged up several months ago and it has slowly unfolded.A slimmed down version might be able to continue in some form but high street retailing has been in a cycle of decline for a long time.I can remember names such as Woolworths,BHS,Littlewoods,Debenhams,and Top Shop all succumbing.Now we have lots of pound shops,betting shops,tattoo parlours,vape shops and Turkish barbers.None of which are likely to employ the dozens of staff that the department stores used to provide a living for,albeit rather modest.

but if you have no car and depend on public transport there are very few placed now that will sell you an odd light bulb or a few picture hooks.
You have overlooked the company that is slowly putting these businesses to the wall, Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=24...&pd_rd_r=3e8f9a46-77fd-4435-ad17-41a53bb98376
Another case of use it or lose it and the unfair advantage of online stores not having the high overheads of people like Wilko with their high street property cost, loss through shoplifting, business rates and staffing cost. People need to think of what the future will look like when there is no retail in our town centres.

You have overlooked the company that is slowly putting these businesses to the wall, Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=24...&pd_rd_r=3e8f9a46-77fd-4435-ad17-41a53bb98376
Another case of use it or lose it and the unfair advantage of online stores not having the high overheads of people like Wilko with their high street property cost, loss through shoplifting, business rates and staffing cost. People need to think of what the future will look like when there is no retail in our town centres.
Silver lining to the town centres, they won't need a ULEZ 🤣😅🤣😂

To many of us it will make no difference whatsoever - we have no reason to visit them.
I think that hits the problem on the head, there are to many other options and the world of retail has changed, but we have changed it through our desire for choice. My issue has been that so many outlets do not stock what you want, there excuse is that there is just to many options to stock everything and people always want what we do not have so the clever businesses now have an online presence and stock a much wider range because their customer base has become nationwide and no longer just local. An example is a book, local bookshop can order it and get it for me within a week but Amazon can get it to me next day and a few quid cheaper ! If you want a tool where do you go, the lucky ones will have one of the major players within range like D&M or Powertool World but for many it is online as the hassle of buying local just consumes a day of your time.

they won't need a ULEZ
If you have no retail then you don't need any deliveries and maybe when no commercial vehicles have any need to go into the town this will make ULEZ pointless having spent a fortune on it, but don't forget these ULEZ systems can also monitor speed and look at untaxed vehicles etc.

I have only been in a branch four or five times and they do attract customers,just not enough of them to support the current business.The probability of this turn of events was flagged up several months ago and it has slowly unfolded.A slimmed down version might be able to continue in some form but high street retailing has been in a cycle of decline for a long time.I can remember names such as Woolworths,BHS,Littlewoods,Debenhams,and Top Shop all succumbing.Now we have lots of pound shops,betting shops,tattoo parlours,vape shops and Turkish barbers.None of which are likely to employ the dozens of staff that the department stores used to provide a living for,albeit rather modest.
I blame the landlords many based in London and overseas who have massively increased rents on shops locally. Leaving them as ghost towns ! Shocking behaviour!

I blame the landlords many based in London
Again shortsighted thinking, what happens to all this property when there are no businesses to occupy it and pay the landlord his rent, so the landlords will end up paying for this short sighted greed eventually when they have property with little value.

To many of us it will make no difference whatsoever - we have no reason to visit them.
A local council has done quite a lot to bring this about,it makes driving into it's area difficult and it has limited,quite expensive car parking when you get there.The out of town retail park that took years to become fully occupied now has lots of tenants and a nearly full car park most of the time.Which makes both out of town and online less bother.The metropolitan landlords referred to are quite often institutions that our pension funds are invested with as a steady income used to be more or less guaranteed.

We have town centre buildings that have been listed for decades, and have been deteriorating ever since. No one wants them as they are listed and in a few years time they will either be pulled down as being unsafe or will fall down without any assistance. In the meantime they're eyesores in the middle of town - I know no one who thinks this system sensible.
There are units on industrial estates that haven't been occupied for decades, but new industrial estates are still being built.

As worn out thumbs said, the extortionate parking fees in most towns has kept most shoppers on their computer's.

Sorry Phil have to disagree, listed heritage buildings should be preserved, perhaps a Government grant for those that use them is the way forward?

Unoccupied industrial units are just a land bank that can be offset against tax.

As worn out thumbs said, the extortionate parking fees in most towns has kept most shoppers on their computer's.

Sorry Phil have to disagree, listed heritage buildings should be preserved, perhaps a Government grant for those that use them is the way forward?

Unoccupied industrial units are just a land bank that can be offset against tax.
Or compulsory purchase and use for community use?

I didn't actually imply that they shouldn't be preserved, I just made the point that the system as it stands is beyond daft.
We have one site where a listed building burned to the ground - no one will redevelop it as the powers that be insist on the front's being rebuilt as the original ........... despite the original building being ugly and completely out of place. On another site tens of £millions have been spent but in front of all the redevelopment is the shell of a listed building that no one wants to rebuild but can't be taken down.

Have to admit that some of our planning officer's are out of touch with what matters.

My own personal experience, I live in an approximately 500 year old flint cottage with hand made clay brick reveals, the planning authority insisted that the extension I wanted to build was stepped back from the front elevation to make it look like an extension this was despite sourcing like for like materials, not a sight line issue, just a vagary of the local planning officer, oh yes the front of the house was blown off during the second WW and replaced with an all brick facade with sash windows so not an aesthetics issue either.

Back