Something to watch out for

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some work in in bedroom the other day when one of the LED bulbs of a three light array went out so thinking i will change that later i carried on when all of a sudden i head a buzzing noise and then all the lights went out on the upper floor and i could smell acrid smoke and on investigation by tourch light the bulb that had gone out was discoloured with the power still off i removed the bulb and reset breaker lights came back on and also the remaining 2 in bedroom i put a new bulb in holder and all was ok being a bit of a "why did that happen type of person " i cut the top of the led bulb that had gone out and was shocked to find this is what had happened inside the bulb not like the blown filament of old
20210819_193312.jpg

That is a pretty catastrophic failure of the board, but the enclosure has done it's job and kept all the burning stuff inside. Out of interest, was it a reputable manufacturer?

Well Sandy there lies another story when i checked the other two bulbs they were the ones i bought from Toolstation when i decided to change all house lighting to LED and this is the first bulb that has failed on checking the make it was a rogue one so i asked my better half if one had blown and had she changed it to find out she had bought a new lamp for the lounge that did not have a bulb provided so she took one out of the array because there were still two left in and she would replace it which she did with a bulb bought from QS never heard of make even tho it has CE mark so not quality and it only lasted 3 months so no saving either lesson learned my job to buy bulbs in future seeing as "im so smart " unquote

Well Sandy there lies another story when i checked the other two bulbs they were the ones i bought from Toolstation when i decided to change all house lighting to LED and this is the first bulb that has failed on checking the make it was a rogue one so i asked my better half if one had blown and had she changed it to find out she had bought a new lamp for the lounge that did not have a bulb provided so she took one out of the array because there were still two left in and she would replace it which she did with a bulb bought from QS never heard of make even tho it has CE mark so not quality and it only lasted 3 months so no saving either lesson learned my job to buy bulbs in future seeing as "im so smart " unquote
Sounds like 'cheap China' stuff. Contractors replaced my bathroom shaver lamp with one that blew it's tube & knocked out all the other lights. I went to the local Electric shop for a replacement & was told the failed one was a 'cheapy China' one which had no internal fuse, so that when the filament blew it created a dead short. Had no more trouble after.

Back