Running out of time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first post really struck a chord; I'm nearly 79, four more years than my Father managed, but four less than my Mother. Got two forms of cancer, blood and prostate, so probably quite lucky still to be around. The really frustrating thing is that the treatment for the prostate plays complete hell with muscles and with enthusiasm, so from being pretty active, now find it difficult lifting a full kettle with one hand. BUT, I guess that some out of the several thousand students who passed my way may have benefitted a bit, two daughters seem to be happy and successful in their chosen careers and there are odd items of furniture that I have made scattered about the place, so something has been achieved.

Hi Cozzer
get yourself into the workshop and make something to sign, just enjoy whatever time you have it could well be many many years left before the clock runs out.

I've just turned 74, not in my head though and I ignore the inevitable aches and pains that appear for no obvious reason, I have multiple part finished projects that will never get done but so what?
I am lucky that I have a wife who rarely complains despite her medical issues, ( she does have her moments though :ROFLMAO: ) and a son, daughter and granddaughter.
My philosophy is to never worry about anything until there's something to worry about, if that makes sense and not to worry at all if it's something I can't do anything about.

Our lab is 8 1/2 and my wife especially will be distraught when her time is up, I'm going to leave home for a while when that happens. :confused:

I used to get like that too cozzer and still do every now and then. My girlfriend at the time got me to watch a romance (a chick flick for blokes she said) called About Time with Domhnall Gleeson and Bill Nighy (good film)

His Dad's part 2 advice has stuck with me and I think about that bit when I feel a little bit insignificant. Basically, notice the little things. Not quite the secret of happiness but gets me there:

About Time

A couple of hours ago I was sitting on a park bench in bright but weak sunshine, watching the early morning frost gradually disappearing as the sun climbed, and keeping an eye on the labrador who'd decided to lie down nearby. He's literally 10 today, and feeling it, bless 'im. He's my fifth lab, the first chocolate, and has been a good 'un since he had his 'gearbox' removed some years ago. He's slowing day by day, and has recently stopped going upstairs, so the green lipped mussel and glucosamine supplements might be working, but maybe not quite enough. I doubt he sees another Christmas, let alone birthday.
Anyway, an absolutely glorious morning. Spring/summer, call it what you will. Bird song, and to a degree, peace and quiet.
And then it struck me....I'm running out of time as well.
This could be my last spring too.
Now there's a thought to conjure with...
I've lived more years than my father did, and only two short of the age my mother made. As far as I'm aware I'm fairly healthy, other than a bit of blood pressure and a right knee that feels like someone's kicked it on the cap. I live 'in fear' of leg cramps - not just calf, but sometimes in the ankle as well - and have suffered from two bad 'uns in the upper thigh before now. Like most folk in advancing years, I could get up tomorrow with an aching left wrist/whatever, for no discernable reason - it might last a couple of hours/days, and then disappear.
I suppose the answer - if there is one - is to 'live' today, just in case. Cut that grass, tidy that shed, finish that book - but there are so many 'unfinished' things I want to do, and I already know that I won't have time.
It's an uncomfortable thought...
In Christ alone my hope is found. John 14:6

I think for us older generation growing up was more exciting and now there is something missing, cannot put my finger on it but growing up in the sixties we had a childhood and was shielded from much of the real world, now kids are fully exposed and jump from being kids to little adults and all the pressures of life.

I totally understand the idea behind signing something, it is said we as humans die twice...once physically and the second time when our name is spoken for the last time...ensuring you'll be remembered is surely a good thing if you've produced something you have pride in ? I say go for it...
I'm not sure I'd choose to be remembered when sitting at a wonky desk or when a badly hung door is dragged over the carpet...I think my woodworking skills will improve " on the other side "

I'm 86 in a few weeks, I've just had a cancerous lump removed from my face which is now infected and needs antibiotics and re- dressing every two days at the clinic. We went for a walk on Sunday the good lady tripped over a kerb smashed her face on the pavement and badly cut her hand. We go down the doc's looking like two old bruisers, dressing down the left of my face and right side of hers with most of the skin peeled off.

But eh oh I.m still breathing, don't have a lot but happy with what I have. We've got two great kids and the best grandaughter in the world who's 21 but still sits on my lap for a cuddle up. So, all in all I have to feel a lot luckier than a lot of people and feel genuine sorrow for those not so well off.

I've got my own health problems I remember about fifteen years ago the doc saying "with your family history and your present condition I have to warn you that the computer predicts you have less than ten years lef" (bah humbug).

We eat very healthily, spend 45 mins on the treadmill everyday including Sundays and I know they're going to have to take me kicking and screaming when the time comes.

Theres only one thing I want to happen when they nail lid of my coffin down and that's for the bloke to say, "I saw him move"

Hope you all have a good day.

I used to get like that too cozzer and still do every now and then. My girlfriend at the time got me to watch a romance (a chick flick for blokes she said) called About Time with Domhnall Gleeson and Bill Nighy (good film)

His Dad's part 2 advice has stuck with me and I think about that bit when I feel a little bit insignificant. Basically, notice the little things. Not quite the secret of happiness but gets me there:

About Time
I watched "About Time" last week, excellent film, and part 2 advice is very apt for this thread.

Currently spending my time working in London and staying with my mother and father.

Her, going blind and deaf and acting as the main carer for him who has dementia and is sapping the life out of her.

Even better if you can tie them.
Good point. Getting socks on was also a prob after my hip-op but they gave me a device.
I don't need it now but am keeping it for probable future use. :unsure:
Getting used to ageing. In fact 2nd childhood seems OK so far.
Am doing a bit of banjo practice this morning and being Easter I thought I'd play gospel music, "Angel Band" etc. to ward off evil spirits. Seems to be working!

Last edited:
The message that people should take from the life experiences of the older generation is not to work until you drop, set retirement as an objective and once you have the funds then retire. I know of people still working full time at 70 plus because they cannot let go of that paypacket yet are in a financial position that would have let them retire at sixty if not earlier, it seems to be a mindset that you are not old or a pensioner so long as you keep working and by retiring it is game over. The secret is good financial planing, it is not difficult providing you are willing to work with the numbers and not fight them.

People do seem to whinge a lot more and fail to accept that they need to take control, an example is mortgages where they are now more realistic but not for many who just took low interest rates as being the norm rather than taking the upper hand and actually rather than mortgaging themselves to the hilt been a bit more savy and taken something less and paid more off each month to reduce the debt, it is better to own a complete smaller house than just the kitchen of a larger one. The sooner that debt is cleared the sooner you can pile money into retirement preparation and still have money to live today.

That clock started ticking the moment you were born, time is according to physics a linear dimension but it really does not feel linear. As I have said the older folk have had the best years from the Uk, it is being dragged down by so much incompetance and stupidity and with the enviroment also turning on us that I would not want to be in the shoes of the latest generations.

In fact 2nd childhood seems OK so far.
A positive for older age is that you can just say what you want and don't need to worry because people just put it down to your age, in reality they should listen more carefully because you have wisdom and life experience.

Good point. Getting socks on was also a prob after my hip-op but they gave me a device.
I don't need it now but am keeping it for probable future use. :unsure:
Getting used to ageing. In fact 2nd childhood seems OK so far.
Am doing a bit of banjo practice this morning and being Easter I thought I'd play gospel music, "Angel Band" etc. to ward off evil spirits. Seems to be working!
If you can’t get your socks on it opens the possibility of a banjo duet with yourself 😜

Back