Progress on the surgery front

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just to keep 'in step'... I had my replacement-knee op a week ago, and apart from a slight infection and a bruise the size of Europe on my leg, I am healing nicely. Not ready for the workshop yet, but I can keep my eye in on the Forum.

Cheers..

John :)

hi john

don't want to be a party poo-per hear , i had an op last November 17Th was told about six to eight week s up and about , seen surgeons three months later, oh no, it will take about a yr as it,s wasn't minor surgery but major surgery it's some nine months later and I'm still hobbling with some degree of pain i had torn ligaments and a large piece of bone removed from the left heal (haglund's deformity ) hope your goes better than mine has . Even had to change the car to automatic as could I could no longer use a clutch , most days depending on what i do i can only muster a couple of hours then it feet up time . good luck john . :lol: keep smiling.

Most frustrating part is planing out the fitting of my machinery to go in the workshop and only being able to such a little bit a day , then having to sit and just look at the machines sat there .grrr :x :evil: .hc

Jenx":1u7keely said:
Glad you're on the mend John ...
Hope the recovery is a speedy and effecive one,

All the best,

Alun 8)

Hear Hear!!

You should soon be WALKERing around again very shortly :lol:

lurker":1v6j7l17 said:
Jenx":1v6j7l17 said:
Glad you're on the mend John ...
Hope the recovery is a speedy and effecive one,

All the best,

Alun 8)

Hear Hear!!

You should soon be WALKERing around again very shortly :lol:

Thanks folks..

Well I shall certainly be Lurker-ing about for a bit. :lol: :lol:

I was sorry to hear about your problems HC.. My op wasn't straightforward either, as the sciatica has also cut in again, but I am just keeping on with the exercises.

I am still buying tools and stuff (Just bagged a set of Rutlands Castors for my lathe. For £30.00 approx, they will do the job!)
I was forced to drive automatic a good 6 years ago now, due to the state of the left knee. Then I found out both knees are requiring a replacement! So, this is just the first!

We will survive. That's my motto.

Thanks again folks. It's appreciated.
John

HI John

Glad to here all went well, apart from the infection.

Had both done a few years ago and they are a lot better than the old ones were.

The best advice I can give you is do the exercises as often and for as long as you can but dont overdo it. They hurt to start with but the results in the long term make it worthwhile.

john

Good to hear you being positive. Take it easy and you'll be back doing the things you love in no time.

Hi there, this is my first but could be the Last Post as nothing is more frustrating than viewing the workshop from a point considerably lower than normal. A 3 cm break in an Achilles tendon will take at least 14-16 weeks of plaster cast, wheelchair and/or crutches to heal. Have been advised that at my age (69) there is a possibility that it may not join permanently so plans are afoot to re-design the workspace to accomodate this eventuality. Its always important to remember the countless poor sods who have not the luxury of at least a relatively pain-free existence when thinking about sawing the legs off the bandsaw or trying to nick a barstool from the local to get me on the Fobco.
Enjoying the site so far and looking forward to ideas for coping with what i hope will be a temporary disability.
Regards.

Speedy recovery to the lot of you.

Achilles is a nasty one, I've been there.

My dad had a knee replaced about 3 years ago. He was up and about after a very short stay in the hospital (He can be very demanding. I think he annoyed the nurses too much so they got rid of him fast) For most of the first year, he was hobbling a bit and only able to do very short (5 min) walks. In the second year, he got himself an electric-assist bike which helped him regain strength in his leg a lot and now in his third year, he's pretty much all better (but still on some pain killers) and able to tackle 40 mile bike rides. My dad reckons that his reasonably swift recovery after the surgery was because he did religiously did all the exercises the physio gave him.

Good luck in your recovery - Hope it goes as well for you as it did for my dad.

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Things are getting better slowly, so it's time for patience. It is a bind doing these exercises every hour, but at least I can move the leg through a full 90 degree bend ~both ways! :lol: :lol:

By the way, should anyone be thinking of buying some of the Rutlands castors I mentioned, I took delivery of mine yesterday. Haven't fitted them yet of course, but they look to be well made, and the brakes work fine. The 'tyres' are made from a malleable plastic, but they are far harder than the rubber tyred castors I initially thought would be okay for my Coronet Major. Still they lasted a good few years. Looking at the new castors, I reckon they will see me out! For some strange reason the 4" wheels were less money than the 3" ones... :)

Cheers folks

John

:D

arkley":1urljbqn said:
Hi there, this is my first but could be the Last Post

Hi Arkley

Welcome - Stick around & you can at least talk about woodwork.
From your two posts so far you sound a right miserable old sod :wink:
You will fit in fine here :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back