Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the front apron cut out is done starting around the 16min mark in this video. But, for the joint to be invisible some luck and the right board for the job is needed. Grainmatch on the sides of the drawer is the "simple thing" since this is predictable, to have it invisible in the rip lines a bit luck is needed. One trick to play with here is that you can shift the short pieces outside the drawer sideways to match the grain as good as possible (not too far out though as then the drawer front will be too short, inwards you're free to move them without any constraints more than that the drawer will be smaller the more you move them). You can also shift the narrow pieces above and below the drawer individually, with the same constraint.

Another way to make it is veneer, that makes life a bit easier.

Many thanks

With the help for Steve Langton, great week. 😁

IMG_4458.jpeg

With the help for Steve Langton, great week. 😁

View attachment 177020

It's really heartening to know that Steve Langton is carrying on in the late Tom Thackray's footsteps. For my 60th Birthday back in 1999, never having done any woodturning, I attended a five-day course with Tom - a wonderful guy. As with all of his students, young or old, male or female, skilled or unskilled, I came away with a Windsor chair I'd made under Tom's guidance. What struck me most, was that all of the tools and techniques that were used are what could best be described as 'low tech' - high skill.

It was the catalyst that started my woodturning activities and untold hours of enjoyment in the intervening years.

Attachments

• Seat view.jpg
    Seat view.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Arm support detail.jpg
    Arm support detail.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Crinoline and stays.jpg
    Crinoline and stays.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 0
It's really heartening to know that Steve Langton is carrying on in the late Tom Thackray's footsteps. For my 60th Birthday back in 1999, never having done any woodturning, I attended a five-day course with Tom - a wonderful guy. As with all of his students, young or old, male or female, skilled or unskilled, I came away with a Windsor chair I'd made under Tom's guidance. What struck me most, was that all of the tools and techniques that were used are what could best be described as 'low tech' - high skill.

It was the catalyst that started my woodturning activities and untold hours of enjoyment in the intervening years.
This was a great week with Steve, he is a very skilled woodworker and great instructor. No fancy computerised gadgets, all doable in a home workshop. And came away with a great chair. The wife wants 4 dining chairs to match.

A double whammy of kitchen organising and clearing space in the garage.

20240308_133150.jpg

About 5 years ago I built this breakfast bar type thing so we would have somewhere to eat meals in a relatively civilised fashion. Note the rounded corner on the RH end, this is because the unit next to it has been modified to 500mm depth so it didn't interfere with the door to the garage.

20190305_073829.jpg

Fast forward a few years, and we had an extension built, and knocked through the kitchen into an actual room for dining. This meant the dishwasher had to be relocated, and the breakfast bar retired. This was the slightly jury rigged setup for a while. During the building works the dishwasher sat on a pile of concrete blocks so it could be pushed back against the wall to be out of the way. Having used it this way for a couple of months I was never going back to a floor standing machine, so I repurposed a drawer which was above the machine in it's old location, and stuck it in a homemade carcass underneath, which is disguised as a section of plinth.

20200618_195956.jpg

A 600 drawer unit was a no brainer to sit next to the dishwasher, but this left a 400mm gap which needed a bespoke unit with a curver corner to accommodate the garage door.20240308_133142.jpg

On the subject of the garage, this project used a bunch of oak faced MDF that has been sat in a corner for years. Unfortunately it was 6mm not 18mm, so some laminating was in order.20240308_065128.jpg

All the panels are laid up from 3 layers of 6mm MR MDF, mostly odds and sods from the offcut pile.

Last edited:
This is a collaborative effort with @Gandalfs Staff. Inspired by the Octavian Dan YouTube channel, it’s a low workbench designed for use in my kitchen. While the Council reviews my planning submission for constructing a workshop at the end of my garden, I can work on this bench. Once I’m done, I can store it in the cupboard under the stairs. Although there are a few finishing touches left, such as the vice faces and chamfering the sharp edges, it’s already fully functional. Many thanks to @Gandalfs Staff for letting me use his workshop and building this with me.

View attachment 176985

View attachment 176986
I love this, there's something really satisfying about building mini workbenches.

Today I finished (give or take painting it when the weather gets warmer) a home-made woodturning lathe that I've been working on over the last month:

1710073396493.png

View under the cover (which is there to stop wood bits getting into the motor, but is very quick to remove):

1710073575715.png

My first ever attempt at turning wood:

1710073418222.png

For anyone who's interested and has nothing better to do :) , there's a 30 page WIP with 324 photos on my website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/powertools/woodlathe/blog/page1

Today I finished (give or take painting it when the weather gets warmer) a home-made woodturning lathe that I've been working on over the last month:

View attachment 177263

View under the cover (which is there to stop wood bits getting into the motor, but is very quick to remove):

View attachment 177265

My first ever attempt at turning wood:

View attachment 177264

For anyone who's interested and has nothing better to do :) , there's a 30 page WIP with 324 photos on my website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/powertools/woodlathe/blog/page1
Well done! I loved the whole process set out on your website. Obviously the secret to building a lathe , is to have another 'metalworking lathe' to do it with, :giggle:

‘Bus blind’ illuminated art work. Scottish elm case with simple rabbet glued joints at corners. Glass is held in 5mm groves and the back has two ‘stretchers’ to add some stiffness, the upper one is also a French cleat. The elm was stinky to work, cowpat elm as someone called it, and moved considerably as I worked it to size, thankfully the design could incorporate a bowed board without a problem. The LED lights could do with being brighter, imho, and the cord annoys me but not really another solution.
IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4534.jpeg

Prior planning….
IMG_1569.jpeg

My small trowel got left out in the garden and I found it in the compost heap. Of course the handle had mostly rotted away. I have a second-hand lathe, first project was a replacement handle so the pair are together again.
IMG_1542.jpeg

I haven’t done much turning but I’ve occasionally been taking bits out of my log pile. This piece looked interesting and I wanted to make a small knob for a key.
IMG_1544.jpeg

I poured in a bit of resin, but it got way too hot and cracked. Pressed on nevertheless. Slightly alarming as some bits pinged off all over the workshop.
FED4B5D0-0B2E-49F9-A859-F8F9943283A5.jpeg

Tried to keep the prettiest bit, but in the end it would have been too big to fit. Yes, you’re right, I didn’t measure before starting. lol. It will find a home somewhere!
In the end I used the small round piece off the end.
IMG_1567.jpeg

Think I quite like turning, need more hours in the day. I have a box of things needing new handles…
IMG_1568.jpeg

‘Bus blind’ illuminated art work. Scottish elm case with simple rabbet glued joints at corners. Glass is held in 5mm groves and the back has two ‘stretchers’ to add some stiffness, the upper one is also a French cleat. The elm was stinky to work, cowpat elm as someone called it, and moved considerably as I worked it to size, thankfully the design could incorporate a bowed board without a problem. The LED lights could do with being brighter, imho, and the cord annoys me but not really another solution.
View attachment 177305
View attachment 177307
View attachment 177306
Guid Aberdeen names there.

Back