Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be going through a rustic phase at the moment, 'rustic' being code for 'tool marked' ;)

Initially I started out using a Kutzall burr to outline the leaf and numbers, but then got hold of some used woodcarving gouges and I really wanted to try using them as best as I could.

This is made from another slice from an old and very dry Oak mantelpiece, it was a cut off that was destined for the fire. I had fun with it.

20231212_183114.jpg

65096-75858432-829A-4A9B-901F-AE2BBAE8DD08.jpeg
I feel a bit sheepish to show something so rough amongst all this finery, but here goes.

View attachment 171369

View attachment 171370

A very rustic mallet or maybe beetle. Cut from a carefully selected branch. It's Hawthorne so it's got a decent strength and hardness. Not sure how well it'll work or last, but I liked the idea of trying to make an integral or homogeneous mallet. I'll do a bit more work to refine and smooth it.
Not quite as great but my old ‘chicken leg mallet’ was of a similar ilk.
65096-75858432-829A-4A9B-901F-AE2BBAE8DD08.jpeg

Don't look too closely or you'll see some gaps.

This is a garden trug, a gift for my mum this Christmas. Made from spalted birch that was felled in my folks garden a while back.

I turned all the tennons on the spindles individually, which was not perfect and hence some gaps. Think it should hold up for a while though.

IMG_20231214_120630.jpg
IMG_20231214_120618.jpg

Finally got this potting shed finished yesterday, I’ve been building it over the last few months on & off for a regular customer

319DD93C-3214-4BD2-94C7-E664167A7217.jpeg

That was it a few weeks ago, yesterday I got the bench done

B86AE8A7-1320-4FAB-AD9A-726EFCF225AA.jpeg

& the creacoting finished

5DFA327C-59BA-4182-B04D-9F6A85070E71.jpeg

It’s a Xmas gift for the chaps partner luckily he didn’t want it gift wrapping

Well its got a few imperfections but I did it purely to practice my skills and I learned hell of a lot (I'm a relative beginner). It was made from salvaged old Mahogany skirting that was going in the skip on a job. I dovetailed the sides but didn't dovetail the drawers. It's for storing seeds packets and associated bits for the garden including a garden diary. I didnt ever think I would be able to make a tambour door so I'm pleased with that part. Kind Regards... Rob

Attachments

• cabinet1.jpg
    cabinet1.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cabinet2.jpg
    cabinet2.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 0
  • cabinet3.jpg
    cabinet3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • cabinet4.jpg
    cabinet4.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cabinet5.jpg
    cabinet5.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 0
Sooooooo replaced rather than made and no real skill required but had to replace the worktop around one of the classroom sinks as the wood around the tap had disintegrated completely from water damage and age, got a 3m length of beech worktop from B&Q for about £150, cut to length and cut out the panel for the sink, skillsaw blade didn't seem to go through easily and has left a lot of burn marks so think that needs replacing, sanded the cut edges 80 to 240g, fitted and reconnected the sink and tap then put first coat of oil on, going to put a coat on every day this to get as much protection as possible from water, staff and cleaners will be told to clean up immediately and not to use chemicals to clean but I know full well they won't listen.
20231218_123725.jpg

Well its got a few imperfections but I did it purely to practice my skills and I learned hell of a lot (I'm a relative beginner). It was made from salvaged old Mahogany skirting that was going in the skip on a job. I dovetailed the sides but didn't dovetail the drawers. It's for storing seeds packets and associated bits for the garden including a garden diary. I didnt ever think I would be able to make a tambour door so I'm pleased with that part. Kind Regards... Rob
That’s a very nice design, and well done on the tambour door don’t see enough of those.
Would just mention (and only did as you said you are a newby) that unless you had a block of wood under when you were planing over the vice, that the bit of wood would flex making it very difficult to plane flat.
I recommend planing against a stop, it will teach good practice in planing as well.
Ian

That’s a very nice design, and well done on the tambour door don’t see enough of those.
Would just mention (and only did as you said you are a newby) that unless you had a block of wood under when you were planing over the vice, that the bit of wood would flex making it very difficult to plane flat.
I recommend planing against a stop, it will teach good practice in planing as well.
Ian
Yes Ian, thanks and I agree, you are right and its actually one of the lessons that I learned. Rob

Latest posts

Back