Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, Cocobolo, is one that certain makers avoid using.
That is interesting - I have a friend who plays Clarinet and he commisioned a Bassett Clarinet specifying Cocobolo with Gold fittings (10k!!). Two were made and he now owns both.

It's a beautiful wood, both in appearance and to work.

Not so much made (yet), but designed, and actually managed to get the design registered...

As I move a lot, I was pondering an easier way to move my ~20 meters of books, without having to pack boxes, dismantle the shelves, move, assemble the shelves and unpack the books, I wanted a modular bookcase which has a cover, so I can simply lift the cover from the storage at the back, close the box, and move it without hassle!

Pic4.jpgPic3.jpgPic2.jpgPic1.jpg

And as an example of how it can be used, with a half-box to make it a wall or complete unit (not shown here)
Pic5.jpg

Not so much made (yet), but designed, and actually managed to get the design registered...

As I move a lot, I was pondering an easier way to move my ~20 meters of books, without having to pack boxes, dismantle the shelves, move, assemble the shelves and unpack the books, I wanted a modular bookcase which has a cover, so I can simply lift the cover from the storage at the back, close the box, and move it without hassle!

View attachment 164091View attachment 164090View attachment 164089View attachment 164088

And as an example of how it can be used, with a half-box to make it a wall or complete unit (not shown here)
View attachment 164092
Use a hole saw and the cut out disks can locate the box on top.

Better still get them CNC cut.

You could also make a top loading box to match?

Any chance you can post a picture of a whistle with a rule or coin or something to give an idea of scale please
Not in the workshop at present to sort out a photo. These being D whistles, are turned from a billet 12" long. According to 'Mr Bracker's' guide, my next D whistle will be precisely 295.8mm long. :giggle:

I assume that there are two panels at the back one for the back and one for storage as a front panel? Otherwise moving the panel from back to front appears to be no different to just turning the box around…

The book boxes are a neat idea, though they are not dissimilar to some of the "Globe Wernicke" stacking book-cases, They tackle the problem of enclosing the books by having a glass door to the front that slides up and tucks away above the books when in use.

Neat idea, my only observation is the mitred joint on the base to the sides, could prove problematic to make with the "finger joints" in there as well
Yeah, not sure about all the joinery yet, will see when I build the first prototype

I assume that there are two panels at the back one for the back and one for storage as a front panel? Otherwise moving the panel from back to front appears to be no different to just turning the box around…
Correct... double wide slot at the back, one panel glued to the box, and the front just slides in behind it for storage while in use as a shelf, and into the front slot while in use as a moving box

The book boxes are a neat idea, though they are not dissimilar to some of the "Globe Wernicke" stacking book-cases, They tackle the problem of enclosing the books by having a glass door to the front that slides up and tucks away above the books when in use.
Thanks! Funny, I searched wide and far, and couldn't find anything similar... also, 5 mm triplex is going to weigh much less than glass, I think, and as books are heavy, I need to keep the box as light as possible

I have always known the kind of bookshelves described by Niall Y as 'Globe Wernicke' bookshelves as 'Barrister bookshelves' (see Barrister Bookcase Backstory - TIMBER TO TABLE)
'Early barrister bookcases contained shelves that separated allowing them to be carried without unpacking the entire shelf. The contents were kept organized and protected inside. Some models even had handles on the ends of the shelves to make them easier to carry'

This does look like a simpler and more manageable solution, though - as the size of the boxes can be adjusted to make them manageable when full of books. I suspect barristers wouldn't worry about that as they wouldn't be the ones doing the lifting!

Been building a replica of the earliest known European wood crossbow- the Charavines type using the measurements and drawings of the original tip fragment. Messed up the tillering (teaching the bow to bend) and it’s perhaps only 2/3 as strong as it could be at 50lb but I learned a lot along the way. Could post an entry in projects if anyone is interested?2608F3FC-5C3B-49D2-AD3B-FA5DF91DC19C.jpeg

Been building a replica of the earliest known European wood crossbow- the Charavines type using the measurements and drawings of the original tip fragment. Messed up the tillering (teaching the bow to bend) and it’s perhaps only 2/3 as strong as it could be at 50lb but I learned a lot along the way. Could post an entry in projects if anyone is interested?View attachment 164218
Yes please

That is interesting - I have a friend who plays Clarinet and he commisioned a Bassett Clarinet specifying Cocobolo with Gold fittings (10k!!). Two were made and he now owns both.

It's a beautiful wood, both in appearance and to work.
There is a chap on the Harrison lathe group who makes woodwind insruments, uses a 5A lathe with a taper attachment to turn them. I had to go to his place to collect some parts he had when I was rebuilding mine. I got to see some of his work, absolutely beautiful.

Today I hung a gate that I made, it's a bit different as it's split in two like a stable door. I wasn't really keen on the idea as stable doors are finicky enough at the best of times so felt one fully exposed to the weather is asking for trouble. The good thing is it's only for my ex and I did voice my concerns beforehand so doesn't really matter if it all goes a bit wrong further down the line!

Stop laths to fit yet, a bit more painting and got to put some proper screws in as the ones supplied were made of cheese but practically finished.

Lou gate 4.jpg

Lou gate 5.jpg

Lou gate 6.jpg

Back