Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some heavy duty trestles for a local factory, I make them a few every couple of years.

I like how quaint and old fashioned it seems having the local joiner make stuff like this.

Trestle 1.jpg

Trestle 2.jpg

As simple as they look there are some complicated cuts.

Trestle 3.jpg

Panel saw makes easy work of it.

GUARDS REMOVED FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC PURPOSES (always wanted to say that!).

Trestle 4.jpg

Yours is probably worn out.
Nah she's taking a break while I reorganise the maker space, got given a couple of kitchen cupboards so put them up instead of shelves to make keeping things dust free easier, hoping to get a couple of cabinets and worktop once the rest of kitchen is pulled out.

Attachments

• 20230321_165705.jpg
    20230321_165705.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_184723.jpg
    20230320_184723.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Much , much tidier than my atelier Stig ( btw, is the name anything to do with "of the dump" ..loved the books ), but from what can be seen, you do not appear to have enough clamps.
It is from the books, back in my construction days I spent 9 months on a site 100 miles from home so would spend the week sleeping in the site office on a camp bed, I would spend the evenings stripping the cable we had lifted from the tennis courts we dug up, because I was always dumpster diving for the cable I got the nickname Stig 😂
I have 10 G clamps and only the 2 long clamps, I don't often need them but want more, need to sort out my dust collection/air filtration before I buy anything else, I'm feeling a bit sick this evening after just moving stuff about today, there's wood dust on and in everything.

Use a vacuum cleaner before moving dusty stuff, your hobby can make you very ill ( long or short term ) or even kill you.lot of toxins in some wood dust, lot of really nasty moulds and fungi in spalted wood.that kind of dust can cripple or kill.Wear a mask and vacuum the dust up, better to wreck a vacuum cleaner than yourself.
12 is not enough clamps, not nearly enough.

Acquired a large pile of oak logs and rounds.
I couldn't bring myself to cut it all up into firewood so have turned a load of it into wood turning blanks.

Funny thing is...I don't even own a lathe! .....Yet!! Ha!

View attachment 155612

View attachment 155613
Looks lovely, though get the end sealed ASAP, otherwise you will probably just have a lot more firewood, (or small pieces for little turning items, which is no bad thing)

It's all wrapped in a tarp now and sat on a pallet to slow the drying...
That could help, but the ends will definitely dry quicker and therefore shrink quicker, so probably split. Hate to pee on the parade, but I've learnt to my cost that just covering it and hoping doesn't work 😕. And make sure there is some air flow through the pile - ie don't have the tarp completely wrapped around, otherwise the water vapour can't escape. I hope it works out, cos it's b***** annoying opening up the stack later to find its failed - don't ask me how I know!

Use a vacuum cleaner before moving dusty stuff, your hobby can make you very ill ( long or short term ) or even kill you.lot of toxins in some wood dust, lot of really nasty moulds and fungi in spalted wood.that kind of dust can cripple or kill.Wear a mask and vacuum the dust up, better to wreck a vacuum cleaner than yourself.
12 is not enough clamps, not nearly enough.
I am hoovering as I go but impossible to get it all, tempted to get the Stihl leaf blower from school in there and blow it all out 😁

Back