Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going through all the bits I found in the drawer and thought what can I do with this?
20230330_171843.jpg

I have been playing with the bowl from a plank idea. That's whhere you start off with a plank of whatever, about 1" thick

IMG_20220927_142500484.jpg

Square it and, it to a rough round on the bandsaw, chuck it up on the lathe and cut 2 or 3 rings at 45º using a small thin parting gouge

IMG_20220927_142511312.jpg
IMG_20220927_142533785.jpg

Glue them one on top of the other. Carfully of course?
IMG_20220820_122657499.jpg

The chucking dovetails were turned on both sides so as to be able to do the outside first because if you turn the inside first you take off the dovetail to do the outside!

Oak

IMG_6929.JPG

The segmented bowl was an experiment and I think it worked quite well. It was from an off cut of a 4" square ash newel post

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.27.43.png

Attachments

• IMG_7122.JPG
    IMG_7122.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.29.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.29.24.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
I have been playing with the bowl from a plank idea. That's whhere you start off with a plank of whatever, about 1" thick

View attachment 156236

Square it and, it to a rough round on the bandsaw, chuck it up on the lathe and cut 2 or 3 rings at 45º using a small thin parting gouge

View attachment 156237View attachment 156238
Glue them one on top of the other. Carfully of course?
View attachment 156239

The chucking dovetails were turned on both sides so as to be able to do the outside first because if you turn the inside first you take off the dovetail to do the outside!

Oak

View attachment 156250
The segmented bowl was an experiment and I think it worked quite well. It was from an off cut of a 4" square ash newel post

View attachment 156251
Now that I like! I suppose that would open the door to harder to get or exotic woods.

It would Paul. For the segmented bowl all I needed was a 9" bit of 4" square ash. Your local joiner will almost certainly let you have off cuts a fair bit bigger than that. When we first moved here 4 years back I went in to our local joined and got some bits. One of the finished articles was given to him and he was chuffed to bits. It was an earring/small jewl stand in oak. Similar to this one
web earing stand 2.jpg

I've been re-sawing my way through various maple and oak worktop off-cuts recently using a home made jig based on various YouTube videos (Accu-ish Slice). I needed 8mm pieces of maple and 12mm pieces of oak worktop to construct 11 'spice drawers' for the kitchen. The drawer bottoms are cut from some nasty 4mm hardwood ply that I bought for templating on a previous project but work fine for these drawers. All I spent was approx £12 on the fittings.

When we had the kitchen installed some time ago, there was a gap between the fitted fridge/freezer cabinet and the chimney breast in which the kitchen fitter suggested adding a bottle rack. And he made a great job , but we've never used it as a bottle rack. This meant the holes got stuffed with various bits and pieces that needed a temporary home. I say temporary, but generally they became permanent eyesores :(

So, a set of 11 drawers would tidy things up and rationalise storage of spices, baking items and other small kitchen essentials.

SpiceDrawers_01.jpg

There are three designs; two drawers are basic box drawers including the slightly smaller drawer at the top, three are divided drawers to accommodate the typical spice jars and five are for storing larger jars such as the jam jars shown as an example below. I made an extra divided drawer in case our storage requirements change and the divider is removeable if that works better. and to save pulling out several drawers to find the one we're after, there is a label holder (which is as much about returning items to the correct drawer if I'm honest ;)).

SpiceDrawers_02.jpg

A couple of Oak eggs for the ladies in the office as they are on diets so can't eat chocolate, sanded to 320, abrasive paste then wax to finish
View attachment 156214
Once they were done I decided I wanted a bigger one, some of you may recall sometime last year I got my hands on a silver birch burl on a branch that had fallen from the tree
View attachment 156215
Everytime I look at this I've wanted to do something with it but it looked like it would be more bark than wood, I cut the ends off and mounted it between centres, turned a tenon and put it in the chuck, rounding it off was messy and painful on my hand, the little bits of bark were like sharp bullets, it took some patience to get good cuts and get it to shape, I sanded it up to 600 and then gave it a coat of linseed oil and oh boy is it gorgeous 😍 loads more actual wood than I was expecting. Looks great when on the lathe and still wet, looks just as good on my desk at work 😍😍😍
View attachment 156216
View attachment 156217View attachment 156218View attachment 156219View attachment 156220
You have been watching that guy make those toys you mentioned earlier. Subconsciously. .Just saying! Lol.

There is a great deal of money to be made in making "adult" items..;-)
But,
given where you work, no..and given the weird ( whitehousian* ) type minds that some have..I'd be careful who sees what you make or have made, what they might decide to "take offense" to ..you don't need anyone saying that you shouldn't be around kids, could cost you your job, and home.
people are stupid, stupid is dangerous..remember the pediatrician and the ignorant mob.

Give no-one any ammunition for the "no smoke without fire" stig. Ceasar's wife etc.

*I knew the evil woman, girlfriends mum was her secretary. Mary W was a horrible old pervert, ( loads of people knew, I knew some who had bad experiences with her when they were kids and she was teaching them ) never got caught, those who shout loudest etc.

Last edited:
So today's offering was made with a nervous mindset, forgot to take a before pic but it was an elbow shaped piece of spalted silver birch, mounted between centres only long enough to form a tenon then put in the chuck, couldn't get speed up to 2nd gear without chasing the lathe so it was all turned at 450rpm with several stops to sharpen followed by lots of hand sanding, this is inspired by a demo I watched at the worldwide woodturning symposium, @Lefley thank you for that, been wanting to give this a go since a saw it, my next one will be from harder wood not the soft/punky birch I've got, a bigger base as this one only just stands on it's own, whilst turning a void from a large bug was exposed so I decided to remove all the bark to expose the tunnels fully, I've now got it my mind to find an S shaped piece to see if that's possible 😁
20230403_184713.jpg
20230403_184709.jpg
20230403_184703.jpg
20230403_184658.jpg
20230403_184645.jpg
20230403_184640.jpg

The eagle eyed among you might notice that the makerspace is quite a bit brighter, the school agreed I could get new lights fitted and this morning our electrician came and fitted 2 new 4ft LED strips, the difference is amazing, I now don't need my lamp light above the lathe so much
20230403_161640.jpg

So today SWMBO was going through our finances and things seem to be tighter than we thought, a complete PITA when there a few things I want/need to buy in the next week or so, a 2nd hand axminster twin motor chip extractor, comicon tickets for the end of May (I'm a huge geek when it comes to that stuff) and I've just found out that the producer of my favourite board game has opened their vault of Kickstarter exclusives for 3 weeks which means I could get an expansion pack that I've missed out on. So today's goal in the maker space was to think of some think quick and simple to make that could sell quickly, I came up with shawl/hair ring and pin, so far I've made 6 rings from the red conifer type wood I have, next to make some pins, I'm thinking of using a some birch for contrast as I have a pile of sticks that will be ideal. The centre of the rings are at least 50mm so I could recount them on the chuck and sand the backs. I'm not sure what to use a finish though, any suggestions? I have oils- walnut, Danish, Teak and Linseed, wax or varnish.
20230405_191457.jpg
20230404_203651.jpg

Going in hair, wax or varnish.
The others are potential allergens to some, as can be the rings themselves , although both wax and varnish will seal them away.
I've found a few YouTube videos, they all do different things, one used Danish oil with a wax finish on top once dry, one used wipe on poly and the other used spray lacquer so I think wax is the route I'll take.

There isn't too much difference between Danish and wipe on poly. If you use Danish, remember that at in cooler weather it's better to put the finished article away for a couple of weeks before the final fine sanding - it's easier and better when the stuff is properly hard.

Back