Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. I had card scrapers for Xmas and using an old screwdriver on them just doesn’t feel right.
Good on you. Card scrapers are the unsung heroes of furniture making. You can even grind profiles in them for mouldings.

I had to smile as I scrolled down to the bottom of the picture.

Pencil mark myth - BUSTED :LOL:

Stables and 4 horses comission I finished yesterday

IMG_20230120_084533407_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230120_084517651_HDR.jpgIMG_20230120_084545966.jpg

IMG_20230117_093540632.jpgIMG_20230120_085506096_HDR.jpg

3 creations today so bear with me.
First I mounted an offcuts of Ash from the male and female figures I did recently, the outside was easy to shape and finish, the chatoyance is amazing, hollowing was a pain, the wood still had quite a bit of moisture but I persevered and got it hollowed out, then I reversed it onto a jam chuck to remove the tenon, this is where I discovered I'd gone a tiny bit too deep inside and the base is paper thin, as a result it has warped and cracked, I plan to recount it on a jam chuck, turn out the bottom of it then turn a base I can glue it onto.
20230120_191330.jpg
20230120_191326.jpg
20230120_191335.jpg

Next I decided to keep the Oak jam chuck I made on the lathe and turn a little pot from it, it has a recessed bit of natural surface so in order to avoid a hole in the wall I decided to turn it into a lidded box, the inside I sanded/polished to 600g then abrasive paste then hard wax, the outside sanded to 320g and lightly coated with linseed oil, I really like the contrast between inside and outside, 3 times I attempted the lid and each time it came apart as I got close to finishing so put the pot to one side for now.
20230120_191300.jpg
20230120_191305.jpg

Next I decided to tackle the piece of Sycamore that hit me in the face, for some reason my gouge was refusing to cut on the inside no matter how much I sharpened it so decided to christen my new axminster bowl gouge and oh boy does it cut beautifully, as punky as the wood is the gouge was still getting decent cuts, I got it all shaped and hollowed as close to what I want as I dared, the walls are a bit thicker than I would like but it's so soft I can finalise it with 60g, it's mounted on a recess rather than tenon as I felt it would just break away from a tenon, once I had cut the mortice I saturated the whole of the base of it in CA glue and went back to work for a couple of hours while the glue did it's job, after work I started sanding, this is gonna take some time as the wood hardener I previously used really gums up the mesh/paper, the walls feel very brittle so I soaked the inside with CA and called it a day for now, next time I'm out there I need to sand the bottom of the inside flat then I'll saturate with CA also, once I've got the wall thickness sanded to where I'm happy and the entire inside and outside is saturated in CA I will start to work on finish sanding right up to 600 then abrasive paste and wax, then I'll look at cutting the yarn hook into it (carefully)

Thanks for making through that lot ☺🤪

A little drawer I was making to practice dovetails.

No sniggering.
This is very nostalgic for me. It takes me back to when I was a woodwork teacher in the 70s & 80s and I would remind them not to make a staircase, inevitably someone always did!!
I notice that you initialed the ends, its a good idea for your mark to remind you which is the out side, so you put it in the vice the right way around. Face side face edge.
Martin

Just a simple soft mallet.

I plan on lining one end with copper for more utility in my shop. Not entirely sure how to do this yet so another thing to try and learn!

Made from a chunk of Sapelle my father in law had thrown into the firewood pile - sacrilege!

Was wet so I sealed the ends and been stored for a year at 40-50% RH fortunately no big cracks, a couple minor checks which I was able to remove out with the radius cuts. I added a 10degree angle to each mallet face which allows it to lie flat on the bench. It's got a long handle but I prefer this and will probably attach a leather cord to it at some point.

I didn't have any decent handle stock to lay my hands on so just used some 34mm dowel rod. Wedged with a little of the Sapelle offcut.

Finish is then three coats wax.

It's not perfect, I may pop a better handle stock on it at some point and I used a forstner bit to fit the handle but I don't have a drill press yet so drilling this accurately was a challenge. I'm happy with it as another learning curve

Attachments

• 20230121_122752.jpeg
    20230121_122752.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230121_122820.jpeg
    20230121_122820.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230121_123246.jpeg
    20230121_123246.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Just a simple soft mallet.

I plan on lining one end with copper for more utility in my shop. Not entirely sure how to do this yet so another thing to try and learn!

Made from a chunk of Sapelle my father in law had thrown into the firewood pile - sacrilege!

Was wet so I sealed the ends and been stored for a year at 40-50% RH fortunately no big cracks, a couple minor checks which I was able to remove out with the radius cuts. I added a 10degree angle to each mallet face which allows it to lie flat on the bench. It's got a long handle but I prefer this and will probably attach a leather cord to it at some point.

I didn't have any decent handle stock to lay my hands on so just used some 34mm dowel rod. Wedged with a little of the Sapelle offcut.

Finish is then three coats wax.

It's not perfect, I may pop a better handle stock on it at some point and I used a forstner bit to fit the handle but I don't have a drill press yet so drilling this accurately was a challenge. I'm happy with it as another learning curve
Is there a reason you chose to angle the striking faces of the mallet:dunno:, i could be wrong but i would think that it would be very awkward to use.

Back