Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm probably going to sound pedantic but I thought honing was done with something firm (like an mdf disk mounted in a lathe or bench grinder) but a strop was a leather strap?
I've never heard of honing (cutting a 30-degree bevel on a 25-degree ground blade) done on a lathe or bench grinder and certainly would never attempt it. You can successfully strop a blade on mdf held in a vice using a suitable cutting paste, I prefer a leather strop with Autosol. If you try and hone a blade on a fast-moving lump of mdf you will generate a huge amount of heat very quickly and alter the blade temper.

Last edited:
With only 3 days until the Xmas fair I'm starting to stress out and I've stupidly added to the stress by adding another tree baubles in the shape of a snowman, 26 done so far and 24 left to do, not a great finish but for £1.50 each they will do, started a twig pot from a bowling pin, no idea what the wood is but it's absolutely stunning and very hard, pic is sanded at 120g, once sanded to 600 hit with abrasive paste and then coated with wax it shines beautifully.
20221129_211150.jpg
20221129_171236.jpg

With only 3 days until the Xmas fair I'm starting to stress out and I've stupidly added to the stress by adding another tree baubles in the shape of a snowman, 26 done so far and 24 left to do, not a great finish but for £1.50 each they will do, started a twig pot from a bowling pin, no idea what the wood is but it's absolutely stunning and very hard, pic is sanded at 120g, once sanded to 600 hit with abrasive paste and then coated with wax it shines beautifully.
View attachment 148191View attachment 148192
You have produced more in the last month than I have in my lifetime! Well done. It is inspiring seeing you doing so much.

You have produced more in the last month than I have in my lifetime! Well done. It is inspiring seeing you doing so much.
Thank you, I have to admit I don't know production turners do it, the boredom of repeating myself doing the tree decorations is killing me, will probably take a week away from the lathe once this weekend is out of the way, will probably take a week to clean all the shavings and dust out of the garage 😯🤪🤪

I've never heard of honing (cutting a 30-degree bevel on a 25-degree ground blade) done on a lathe or bench grinder and certainly would never attempt it. You can successfully strop a blade on mdf held in a vice using a suitable cutting paste, I prefer a leather strop with Autosol. If you try and hone a blade on a fast-moving lump of mdf you will generate a huge amount of heat very quickly and alter the blade temper.
A leather disc on a lathe with buffing soap is a wonderful quick strop. I suspect a little confusion in the terminology, I doubt anyone would hone on a wooden disc, leather or not.

Thank you, I have to admit I don't know production turners do it, the boredom of repeating myself doing the tree decorations is killing me, will probably take a week away from the lathe once this weekend is out of the way, will probably take a week to clean all the shavings and dust out of the garage 😯🤪🤪
I've toyed with the idea of using woodwork as an income source post retirement. My biggest concern though is having to make the same thing more than once. I love the design and problem solving process of a new item, but once it's done I want to move to the next thing.

How about a digger Baldkev has one!!

Attachments

• 20221123_201502.jpg
    20221123_201502.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
P1170381.JPG

Today I finished making this castor dolly for my new Axi bandsaw. I used these retractable castors. I was aiming at not having to drill holes in my new toy. Mounting them on the board means that the don't protrude as much as if attached to the legs. A much neater and more ergonomic solution than normal braked castors.
Brian

Last edited:
I've toyed with the idea of using woodwork as an income source post retirement. My biggest concern though is having to make the same thing more than once. I love the design and problem solving process of a new item, but once it's done I want to move to the next thing.
I've thought about it a bit too.
Any ideas for products? I think cutting boards could be a good one.
An obvious one is bird boxes but market is saturated I reckon.
Maybe I should do a separate thread....

Martin

View attachment 148191View attachment 148192
Good luck tomorrow Stigmorgan. Hope the weather holds and have fun after all the hard work 👍

Back