Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I say that it could be DF, is that I've been machining up some big lumps of the stuff recently:

douglas fir.jpg

if it is douglas fir I've found it has a lovely sherbert smell that is very distinctive when working it with hand tools.

If it was a fence post and looks somewhat oak like, my money's on sweet chestnut. It's used a lot for fences due to its impressive rot resistance, and certainly looks possible as far as i can tell from the photos.

Thanks Stig not up to your standards but I may have another dabble and pick up a 2nd hand lathe I have got all Robert Sorby tools its a pity to waste them you know the sentiment "I'm going to start wood turning i was bequithed a new tool lathe so went to Millersdale in Derbyshire watched some guys turning and treated myself to full set of Sorbys they are like brand new will post a pic when i unpack them must be worth a few bob now

I'd suggest Douglas Fir, I have to say @Stigmorgan you are prolific, I wish you all the success you deserve at your fair.
Thanks @HOJ , the grain definately looks the same as does the colour 👍

Been a busy day, woke in a stubborn frame of mind so when I went out to the maker space I cut off a piece that looked like it would be trouble from a branch of sycamore, to my surprise it turned really well and I love the end result, sanded to 320 and finished with Danish oil, I cut the rest of the branch into 8 pieces about 200mm long and started making figurines, 4 males and 1 female done so far.
20221126_113600.jpg
20221126_112828.jpg
20221126_112819.jpg
20221126_112814.jpg
20221126_144643.jpg
20221126_144635.jpg
20221126_144629.jpg
20221126_144621.jpg
20221126_144614.jpg
20221126_191215.jpg

Earring holder and trinket box for youngest daughter. I’m new to Woodturning so it’s not perfect but hopefully it’ll be a nice stocking filler!
The elephant in the pic is a test piece for something I hope to make again but larger and in hard wood!😀

Attachments

• BA4B27D4-68D8-4C09-9A7A-59F33E7948C4.jpeg
    BA4B27D4-68D8-4C09-9A7A-59F33E7948C4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
figurines, 4 males and 1 female done so far.
Seeing all your production pieces you've been 'turning' out lately you might be interested in this chap. His name is Steve Jones and has been a production woodturner for many years. He rarely posts these days although he has put a video on just yesterday. WOODTURNER 21. You won't often see him using much more than a skew and a gouge.

Seeing all your production pieces you've been 'turning' out lately you might be interested in this chap. His name is Steve Jones and has been a production woodturner for many years. He rarely posts these days although he has put a video on just yesterday. WOODTURNER 21. You won't often see him using much more than a skew and a gouge.
I follow him already, he is amazing, he posts more regularly on Instagram, I've tried the skew and just can't to grips with it, until I buy the jig for my Robert sorry sharpening kit I struggle to sharpen it too.

I follow him already, he is amazing, he posts more regularly on Instagram, I've tried the skew and just can't to grips with it, until I buy the jig for my Robert sorry sharpening kit I struggle to sharpen it too.
Steve is, I think, the 5th generation of a family of noted woodturners and is a master at his craft. No fancy cryogenically hardened turning tools, no Sorby Pro-edge sharpening kit, no jigs, a home-made marking gauge and 'storyboard', no CBN wheel. Just a skew, a spindle gouge and a parting tool. Low-tech/high skill craftsmanship. All done in nine minutes, no dramas.

Respect!

no CBN wheel. Just a skew, a spindle gouge and a parting tool. Low-tech/high skill craftsmanship. All done in nine minutes, no dramas.
Him and Richard Raffan are my kind of turners although they've both now acquired CBN wheels I see. I do like them but I've gone this long on a 120 grit which I reckon will outlast me anyway.

OMG did I ache this morning after spending 7 hours out at the lathe yesterday 😯 my shoulders and forearms felt tight and heavy, so after a good strong coffee to wake up I went back out at lunchtime to finish turning my ladies and to see what else I could come up with, first was a roughly 3x3x12inch lump of spalted silver birch (I absolutely love this stuff) which once rounded off screamed Christmas tree, then I found a piece of ash that had caught the gauge and flew off the lathe last week so rounded that back off and it became another tree then finally just for fun I thought I'd try a quick snowman from a 3x3 piece of very soft pine, may do a few more (No plans to make a nose/eyes etc). Going to also have a go at doing some smaller snowmen that can be used as tree decorations
20221127_170104.jpg
20221127_170133.jpg
20221127_170140.jpg

Abrasive paper on a ply or mdf disc on your lathe is all you need to grind a skew. Touch up with a diamond plate until it needs refreshing on the disc.

Back