Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D-W
suprising ur hands are not all grizziled n grey from metal working.....
r u a glove user.....? hahaha...
I would be happy to own one of ur knives let alone the skill to make em....nice work...
There's not a whole lot of skill involved, but the metal dust is filthy!

But strangely enough, the place where I get constant "ouch" is metal splinters in my feet. They're easy to find and remove, though. The dust gets everywhere, in shoes, on clothes, in your hair. They're easy to find and remove, though. I'd probably have excess knives to send around if the international shipping wasn't so high. It only costs something like $10-$12 in materials to make a knife like these.

They look nice DW, what are the user based issues that were manifested?

The parer on the right was more or less lifted from a common really large plastic handle parer. I wanted the handle to be more trim, but it's a little short unless you pinch the finger cutouts. That's a problem that's not noticed after a bit, though. the butt of the handle is kind of ugly, but that's not really functional. There's something not quite right with the shape, but for a $10-$12 knife (including the cost of belts and gas), nobody would care about that but the maker.

The center one is probably fine, though I think the drop could be a little bigger to prevent fingers from sliding forward, that's more of a consumer issue - something I'll never need to worry about. I won't be stabbing or pushing with the boning knife.

The one on the left, not sure what I was thinking. I cut out the finger notches with a sanding drum right at the tang - really short - and they're effectively worthless. The shoulder is right where you'd want to put fingers. so, it's useless because it just shortens the effective handle length. I will trim it back to be like the middle.

Making something that you don't know anything about is always an exploratory process - comparing things, finding out what you don't like that you didn't know you wouldn't like and then trying to make the general direction of things better. The only way around it is to buy 20 things and then copy what you like. To do something really well as a first try without much in hand is over my head.

Nearly there with the mad tulip mania chair.

IMG_1074.JPG

Not made but repaired a sash from a sliding sash window. The bottom rail of it was absolutely rotten which had also caused the tenons on the glazing bars to rot away. It's a bathroom window and has rotted from the inside caused by condensation running down the glass.
I wanted to make a new sash but it's a listed building and the customer was keen to save the existing one :rolleyes:

rotten sash 1.jpg

Getting rid of the rotten bits, luckily the stiles were okay or I would have definitely made a new one!

rotten sash 2.jpg

New rail and a bit of splicing, used some offcuts of Accoya so hopefully no more problems.

rotten sash 3.jpg

Good as new, putty needs tidying up a bit more but no doubt I will stick my finger in it tomorrow whilst re hanging it.

rotten sash 4.jpg

Just as
Not made but repaired a sash from a sliding sash window. The bottom rail of it was absolutely rotten which had also caused the tenons on the glazing bars to rot away. It's a bathroom window and has rotted from the inside caused by condensation running down the glass.
I wanted to make a new sash but it's a listed building and the customer was keen to save the existing one :rolleyes:

View attachment 143531

Getting rid of the rotten bits, luckily the stiles were okay or I would have definitely made a new one!

View attachment 143532

New rail and a bit of splicing, used some offcuts of Accoya so hopefully no more problems.

View attachment 143533

Good as new, putty needs tidying up a bit more but no doubt I will stick my finger in it tomorrow whilst re hanging it.

View attachment 143534
Just as hard restoring as making from scratch?

Just as hard restoring as making from scratch?

Repairing sashes is one of my least favourite jobs, it's unbelievable how long it can take. Once you've taken the glass out and replaced a few bits it's as easy to make a new one from scratch. It's so hard to make a tidy job, further down the line the paint often cracks where you do any splicing and it just ends up looking a mess.

Every time I repair any kind of rotten windows I say never again but I always end up doing some more 😂

I replaced the entire bottom third of a panelled external door. Scarfed stiles, new bottom rail, I can't remember about the muntin. You know how it is - people appear, say 'could you do this', and you might not know immediately exactly how you're going to do it but you say yes, because you know it's possible & you like a challenge ... and it's what they want, and they'll pay you.

I needed a cabinet to hide all the kids’ toys. Came up with an idea for the doors and went from there I picked something that I thought might be quite quick because if the repeatable actions, but they actually ended up taking me ages!

I’m almost happy with the result, and the toys are gone.
27303932-5817-4B5D-844A-5B1B99080B10.jpeg

10BFB0D3-49D3-40DD-928F-85CC5A2A0A3F.jpeg

A92E5DA1-E417-42DB-807A-999919D98DD0.jpeg

CF4183BD-F119-48DD-949C-4889C83494CC.jpeg

A couple of small jewellery boxes
This one is oak with a 16 piece starburst pattern lid. The centre is a burr oak disc. Lid opening is 2 scalloped recesses on either end and very shallow ones in the lid. Finish 3 coats of Osmo Poly x satin

Attachments

• 20220917_183607.jpg
    20220917_183607.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220917_183616.jpg
    20220917_183616.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220917_183636.jpg
    20220917_183636.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220917_183658.jpg
    20220917_183658.jpg