Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some photos and will post them up. I used black printer ink to ebonise the beech. First time veneering so that was a bit stressful but the panels were small so just used cauls to clamp up ok. Veneer was from Capital Crispin.

just a few items i recently made all unplugged

Attachments

• 20200411_190355.jpg
    20200411_190355.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • 20200411_190241.jpg
    20200411_190241.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200516_192437.jpg
    20200516_192437.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200516_194455.jpg
    20200516_194455.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Congratulations Buckeye. I love the shaping you have achieved to the legs and the London Plane panels are gorgeous.

John

My lockdown project, a baritone ukulele or nylon string tenor guitar depending on mood.
Design brief was to make do with what I could find in the shed. Top, back and sides is quartersawn pitch pine, which was formerly a wardrobe shelf. Neck is sapele, formerly a vice chop. Fingerboard, bridge and binding are some other species of African mahoganoid, and were formerly a handrail.
I bent the sides with a DIY bending iron fashioned from a metal drink bottle and a 100w lightbulb.
I did have to buy the fretwire, tuning machines, nut and saddle.

It's a bit wonky in places (will use a proper form next time), but plays and sounds ok and has kept me out of trouble. Reasonably happy for my first foray into building an acoustic instrument.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 495
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 495
Not sure Mike, but it's a slippery slope.
Thanks.
I have done plenty of work on electric guitars before, but this was quite a step up.

One other thing to note is that apparently stream bending pitch pine smells petty funky. I couldn't smell much when I was doing this, but I was nearly not let back indoors afterwards. Might not try that again.

Samhay just a heads up one of the first symptoms of the Covid 19 is loss of sense of smell, take your temperature just to be sure.

I do like a simple representational ornament that can adapted for a production run using jigs like the block santas I've posted about before. Recently, one of the Axminster emails had a link to a simple project for a block owl to make with kids. I loved the simplicity of the design so came up with a variation that I could make using jigs on the drill press and the disc sander.

Like the block santas I used offcuts of 25 mm square stock in maple that I cut to 50 mm lengths. I drilled the eyes with a 12mm forstner bit and then glued in a 12mm plug cut from scraps of walnut. I drilled out part of the plugs in the same jig as before as I liked the sunken look and the centre 'divot' for the eyes.

Parliament%20of%20Owls.jpg

Trivial stuff, but strangely satisfying and they got an enthusiastic response from the family.

Not top class woodwork but a new stand for the thicknesser, yes it’s a Dewalt PT with the tables taken off!

The motor hangs off the back so I wanted to make an asymmetrical frame. Additionally the legs are splayed on each frame. All done as a foray into legs splayed in multiple directions and the resulting compound angles.

Frames are mortice and tenoned, cross members are lap joints. The compound angles made my head hurt and really taxed my brain. Eventually figured it out and was pleased with how well everything went together. A fun day in the workshop.

5C12ABD7-079B-4106-A727-F352A03C87D8.jpeg

The top is plum it’s just the photos and angles that make it look off.

Fitz.

Attachments

• 5C12ABD7-079B-4106-A727-F352A03C87D8.jpeg
    5C12ABD7-079B-4106-A727-F352A03C87D8.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 288
Not my normal stuff.
Starting to make a doggy assault course for my wifes dog walking field. It's a pay to walk field 7 acres, I'm making seats and tables, tunnels, climbs, weaves, tennis ball catapault. All made from old tractor tyres and scoffold stuff.

This sort of stuff

R0gIqnt.jpg

HivvqZi.jpg

Bm101":1n141aba said:
Ohhhhhh.
Bit above your usual standard then Bob?
Need some help?

You never know Chris, see how it goes. Got a lot to do but occasionally it's quite nice to forget the tape measure and sharp chisels and bring out the chainsaw and sledge hammer.

I'm with you Bob. Its getting a bit like that with the home schooling. I'm ok honest.

What I think was the last thing my dad made before he passed away. He saw it in a magazine piece from a stately home, and went to visit. The owner was kind enough to bring it out of storage, take photos and measurements.

And he built this.

This summer he was going to show me how to start woodworking, sadly never got to start.

Attachments

• 20200610_171139.jpg
    20200610_171139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Back