Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckeye":4o6eaksg said:
Made this wall cabinet from cherry and elm (drawer front and back slats). Copy of a piece by Michael Pekovich who writes for FWW http://www.pekovichwoodworks.com/furnit ... rk/4580764

A few firsts for me like through tenons, half blind dovetails. Made a lot of mistakes but reasonably happy with the way it has turned out.

Excellent work Buckeye! You've made it to the place on the woodworking ladder where you can confidently produce attractive and well made furniture, that's a terrific achievement and the fun really begins from here on out!

=D>

Just one tiny point, the wedges in the through tenons are going in the wrong direction, they're acting to split the grain of the side pieces apart. You've gotten away with it this time so no harm done, but next time flip them through 90 degrees and then you can hammer them home to your heart's content.

custard":2eo23qs7 said:
Buckeye":2eo23qs7 said:
Made this wall cabinet from cherry and elm (drawer front and back slats). Copy of a piece by Michael Pekovich who writes for FWW http://www.pekovichwoodworks.com/furnit ... rk/4580764

A few firsts for me like through tenons, half blind dovetails. Made a lot of mistakes but reasonably happy with the way it has turned out.

Excellent work Buckeye! You've made it to the place on the woodworking ladder where you can confidently produce attractive and well made furniture, that's a terrific achievement and the fun really begins from here on out!

=D>

Just one tiny point, the wedges in the through tenons are going in the wrong direction, they're acting to split the grain of the side pieces apart. You've gotten away with it this time so no harm done, but next time flip them through 90 degrees and then you can hammer them home to your heart's content.

Thanks Custard for the tip, I didn't know that. I definitely learned a lot in making those, hopefully cut down on the errors next time.

custard":3l2dcl19 said:

that would be a PITA hammering and then the side splits (hammer)

nice tip.

So what if they're quickly-knocked together sawhorses? They can still look pretty :D

2016-06-25-17.17.35a.jpg

2016-06-25-17.17.16a.jpg

(plus, I don't have indoor storage for them, so the outdoor paint might give them another few months of life before they rot).

here's the stool again finished with a few layers of de-waxed shellac, it looks far better now.

Attachments

• milk_stool_shellac_finished.jpg
    milk_stool_shellac_finished.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 89
Last thing I made ...

100_5813.jpg

No prizes awarded to the correct guess. :-D

Clue-ish: it's Maple.

I made a towel rack, which is more or less the first thing I've made since my last woodworking lesson in school about 20-odd years ago.
IMAG1340.jpg

Things I have learnt:
  • Cutting mortises for the first time ever probably would have been easier if they weren't only 6ml wide.
  • Can't help but feel that tenons aren't really meant to be wedge-shaped
  • Despite laborious picking out the straight bits of wood from homebase, they were in fact still crooked as a dog's hind leg
  • 18mm dowel is not necessarily 18mm
  • Probably no-one needs a towel rack that's almost a metre wide
  • ...but the dowels aren't glued and I do own a hammer...
  • The time to shape wood is probably not when you've already glued it all together
  • If I was doing it again I'd cut away some of the bottom pieces so it has feet, although whether that would stop it being off-level is beyond me.
  • Those bridle joints on top were meant to be mortice and tenon - I just didn't think it through very well.
  • Levering the waste out of the mortices crushed their edges. Note sure if this is a technique problem or just blancmange wood.
  • Pencil marks are harder to sand off than I thought.
  • Splitting. Just splitting.

Attachments

• IMAG1340.jpg
    IMAG1340.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 218
Lignum":2r0rill0 said:
I made a towel rack, which is more or less the first thing I've made since my last woodworking lesson in school about 20-odd years ago.

Things I have learnt:
  • Cutting mortises for the first time ever probably would have been easier if they weren't only 6ml wide.
  • Can't help but feel that tenons aren't really meant to be wedge-shaped
  • Despite laborious picking out the straight bits of wood from homebase, they were in fact still crooked as a dog's hind leg
  • 18mm dowel is not necessarily 18mm
  • Probably no-one needs a towel rack that's almost a metre wide
  • ...but the dowels aren't glued and I do own a hammer...
  • The time to shape wood is probably not when you've already glued it all together
  • If I was doing it again I'd cut away some of the bottom pieces so it has feet, although whether that would stop it being off-level is beyond me.
  • Those bridle joints on top were meant to be mortice and tenon - I just didn't think it through very well.
  • Levering the waste out of the mortices crushed their edges. Note sure if this is a technique problem or just blancmange wood.
  • Pencil marks are harder to sand off than I thought.
  • Splitting. Just splitting.

Nowt wrong with that =D>
Carry on :lol:

one of the most useful things I was taught, was to rub pencil marks off with a normal eraser. Trying to sand them off is much more time consuming and difficult.
They explained the technical reasons why it was better to use an eraser but I can't remember what it was, I just know it works so I don't really need to know why lol.

Hello,

When cutting mortices, leave a mm or two at the ends, chop to full depth and any bruising will happen in the sliver of waste at the ends. Then pare away the those bits right at the last, to remove the bruised bit. Nice and crisp edges that way.

Mike.

You are probably using a normally ground bevel edge chisel? That won't help make your mortices easier. ^^ as above, leave a couple of mil - also a shoulder will help. You may well find 18mm dowel will sag under the weight of damp bath towels.

Lignum":3a3vwvs7 said:

Good for you Lignum. You've got all the important stuff right, i.e. you went into your workshop with some wood and came out with some furniture.

Woodworkers fall into two groups, those who actually make stuff and those who talk about making stuff. The first group are the only ones who ever show any improvement.

thetyreman":9g9cm877 said:
drawer handle?

Nope, it's a thumb rest for a very expensive Rickenbacker bass which, according to its owner, was equipped with a too-small plastic version. He wanted a thicker one that matched the fretboard and I just happened to have a scrap of old flooring sample laying about.

NazNomad":16idvzun said:
thetyreman":16idvzun said:
drawer handle?

Nope, it's a thumb rest for a very expensive Rickenbacker bass which, according to its owner, was equipped with a too-small plastic version. He wanted a thicker one that matched the fretboard and I just happened to have a scrap of old flooring sample laying about.

ah yes, makes sense now, I used to be a musician myself so know the feeling, when you invest in an instrument of that kind of quality, it's important.

custard":mqtinran said:
Lignum":mqtinran said:

Good for you Lignum. You've got all the important stuff right, i.e. you went into your workshop with some wood and came out with some furniture.

Woodworkers fall into two groups, those who actually make stuff and those who talk about making stuff. The first group are the only ones who ever show any improvement.
+1 =D>

I may not be the best but I give everything my best effort, thats all I can ever do.

Back