Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I endured that music for the whole 14 mins 44 seconds. I am now ready to kill someone. :D

By the bye ... I can't help thinking he made hard work of that. He's got a lathe ... you know, one of those machines that make things round. Why the bobbin sander? It's undoubtedly got some form of indexing to mark the holes, as well.

phil.p":23vr1rvf said:
I endured that music for the whole 14 mins 44 seconds. I am now ready to kill someone. :D

Not a fan of the walking bass line then? :-D

phil.p":1w8s3yts said:
By the bye ... I can't help thinking he made hard work of that. He's got a lathe ... you know, one of those machines that make things round. Why the bobbin sander?
I thought that was a bit odd too. I'd guess it's because of a perception that the plywood glue lines are so abrasive. They are very abrasive course, but not that bad and just truing up the outside edges of two rounds for a chuck like this you could immediately resharpen your skew again when you were done. I'd bet that if he were using carbide-tipped turning tools he'd have done it on the lathe.

He could also have saved time by shaping the two together rather than making one and then doing a second to match. All he'd need to do is gang together the two squares of plywood using double-sided tape or masking tape and superglue and he could have bandsawn and turned them both in one go.

Could you make a donut chuck out of MDF?

I want to make one as large as I can, but I don't quite have enough plywood left. I have plenty MDF however.

BearTricks":2pmy62h6 said:
Could you make a donut chuck out of MDF?

Not sure about the strength of MDF, but I suppose if it was thick enough it would be ok. A donut chuck isn't going to be something you'll spin at a Million rpm anyway. Slow speed, light cuts...

Bedroom chest of drawers. MDF for the cabinet with southern yellow pine drawers and an oak top. The oak top slides back after releasing a lever inside the top drawer to reveal a baize lined compartment for the gentleman's shotgun
IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

It was a right b***** to make. It weighs well over 100kg the sides ended up being over 50mm thick due to the need to hide the slides in for the oak top. I massively underestimated the amount of time it would take me so it was an ongoing albatross round my neck until last Friday when I finished it off. Didn't help that the walls and floor it was on were not flat in any way! Lesson learnt
Cheers Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 284
I put the finishing touches to our new coffee table this weekend. It started out as three 8x4 oak sleepers which were "happily" ripped down the middle by hand and sweat and lots of swearing. I could likely have worked on them to get a flat face to get a machine blade to... but I likes a challenge (hammer) These were then left to sit in the living room for what felt like a lifetime (1 month). Any major splits were then butterflied using walnut splines.

Not trusting my el cheapo Titan 6" P/T I found myself ordering a Makita 2012NB thicknesser (thanks Barclaycard!) after reading its praises on here. Boy, is it quiet compared to the Titan. It worked like a trooper flattening (via various sized sleds + brackets + screws + wedges), squaring (by adding a fence to one of the flattening jigs) and then taking everything to final dimensions over a couple of stages. It did generate a few shavings!

It's joined using vertical pairs of different sized dominoes (in an attempt at being clever). All joins have an oversized 100x40x14 domino along with a normal 100x14 domino. The oversized dominos in the long sides are on the inside but on the outside in the shorter sides. With the smaller domino on the shorter sides being on the inside (this is making perfect sense isn't it) it pins the larger domino on the longer sides. If that makes any sense you're doing well. I then had a (literal) bash at making my own dowels with a plate and a hammer to pin the rest from the inside. I don't know how much stronger draw boring would've made things, but it was just too much to attempt at this stage.

One coat of Osmo wood protector and two coats of their clear matt poly-x were then lovingly applied to the frame. Those first 3 seconds of the first bit of finish going on to the bare wood is heavenly.

The top is a piece of 900x600x10mm slate which, for £16, was great as original plan involved making one out of concrete. Having a wee boy with only 5 years of wisdom inside him, I was more than concerned about excessive weight being placed in the centre of the table (the current table gets used as a launchpad onto the sofa) so I did my best to reinforce it. There's a 18mm layer of sealed MR-MDF and a 2x1 lattice frame to which the MDF is attached via brackets. Hopefully that should keep it rigid enough not to crack... hopefully. I'd left a 5mm gap between the frame and the slate which was then grouted. The grout claims it'll allow a certain amount of flex so I'm hoping any expansion in the frame won't pop the thing. The lattice frame underneath should also provide some resistance to inward pressures. It'll be fine.
I then gave the slate and grout 2 coats of a water based penetrating sealer. From what I could find, this was the way to go for good lasting protection that doesn't alter the appearance of the slate too much. Wine certainly wipes of nae bother :lol:

From the mountain of offcuts I had I made some quick and nasty coasters and a thing to put them in. That will keep the little ones from scattering them to the four winds for sure.

Anyway, that's my brain-dump. apologies for the wall-of-text!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 149
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 149
beautiful result, I love the look of the butterfly joints on the legs, nice photography as well, love the way you ripped the beams by hand, now that is hard work.

Nelsun

:) Fantastic workmanship =D>
Really good !!

Glad you like the Makita :roll:

Hi Nelsun, guess you don't need a gym membership after hand ripping 4" Oak :lol:

It looks lovely, well done =D> =D>

Presume it takes four of you to move it. (hammer)

Regards Keith

Thanks very much for the kind words. It means a lot coming from folk that can appreciate the end result and how you got there. I'll need to rip the same amount again with the other arm to even things up!

Back