Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new sign.
7592afe28ee57acc488a3a33bd5b43fe.jpg

Rescued the saw from being cut up and sold for parts. Treated the rust and dumped it in the garden. Found a wany rubbish bit of oak and stenciled on the side.
88baeb13990a9a85b3150aeeb968b166.jpg

Even with wheels it takes some handling!

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi all just thought I'd post this to show you what goes on in my man shed........
The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the pine indicators on the big one have darkened really badly with the application of Danish oil, so must use another finish or a different way of marking the hours.........Dom
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 215
That spalted one looks ace Dom.

Cinimod":1upu8nfl said:
The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the pine indicators on the big one have darkened really badly with the application of Danish oil, so must use another finish or a different way of marking the hours
How about epoxy coloured white? With Danish applied over the top of it it'll stay pretty white, maybe go just a touch toward a sort of bone colour.

ED65":2bzm74no said:
That spalted one looks ace Dom.

Cinimod":2bzm74no said:
The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the pine indicators on the big one have darkened really badly with the application of Danish oil, so must use another finish or a different way of marking the hours
How about epoxy coloured white? With Danish applied over the top of it it'll stay pretty white, maybe go just a touch toward a sort of bone colour.

Glad you like them, I love the spalted timbers as they all look totally different, and I've got loads of it that came in a pile of firewood. Who cares if the kids go cold.
I might try epoxy next time but what do you stain it with??.............dom

Cinimod":344lifa0 said:
... the pine indicators on the big one have darkened really badly with the application of Danish oil.

Dom, try small pieces of 5-6mm brass rod. I've used the same for guitar fret markers in the past.

Cinimod":h7xytn8j said:
White paint will do it, anything oil-based. I usually use tube oil paints (for canvas painting) but tried some enamel paint recently after getting some for tool restorations and it works the same. You only need to add a small amount to get a good solid colour.

You could also mix in a white powder, but I'd guess you don't have powdered marble or white pigment in the house :) Talcum powder mixes well with epoxy but I think by itself it'll give you a dirty cream colour.

ED65":tt1j0cd8 said:
Cinimod":tt1j0cd8 said:
White paint will do it, anything oil-based. I usually use tube oil paints (for canvas painting) but tried some enamel paint recently after getting some for tool restorations and it works the same. You only need to add a small amount to get a good solid colour.

You could also mix in a white powder, but I'd guess you don't have powdered marble or white pigment in the house :) Talcum powder mixes well with epoxy but I think by itself it'll give you a dirty cream colour.

Cheers for the advice. I've got loads of oil paints because I also paint military figures...........dom

Kentucky stick chair, made it a bit bigger since the original sizes I got off the net were so small for my frame (6'2")
28371895981_9fdd4ed4cc_b.jpg

And hardly fine woodworking, barely woodworking, but I slapped together a frame to throw a net around the strawberry patch, so it'll stop being a bird feeder.
28450398995_17b8eb966a_b.jpg

Just finished another 3 legged stool, this time there was quite a bit of scalloping involved on the seat, I am reasonably happy with it, apart from a major mistake I made where I drilled through at the wrong angle with one of the leg lol (hence the small hole where the auger pointed through) this was repaired with a dowel that I made from the same oak hammerd in then re-drilled at the correct angle, all with brace and bit drills in this crazy heat, the sides aren't perfectly rounded either, not sure if I will go back and make them perfect, part of me likes the rustic look of it. The design is another paul sellers one from his book 'working with wood 1 & 2' The seat was shaped with only a gouge, then a kidney scraper, with a final sanding at 250 grit, then sealer layer of shellac.

I am happy I made some mistakes in a way, because I am unlikely to do it again, hope you all enjoy the pics!

regards, Ben.

Attachments

• pedals-1.jpg
    pedals-1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 212
  • pedals-2.jpg
    pedals-2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 213
  • pedals-3.jpg
    pedals-3.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 212
  • pedals-4.jpg
    pedals-4.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 212
  • pedals-5.jpg
    pedals-5.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 212
Finished this bird box that someone has requested... Just in time to be too late to use this year. :-D

100_6215.jpg

Every year I watch the birds in the garden and think 'I must make nesting boxes for next year' and each year I forget!

Some simple alcove cupboards with push to open doors. Shelves from ikea!
20160723_151022-768x1365.jpg

20160723_150952-768x1365.jpg

Attachments

• 20160723_151022-768x1365.jpg
    20160723_151022-768x1365.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20160723_150952-768x1365.jpg
    20160723_150952-768x1365.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Back