Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xy mosian":3oa3ji1h said:
Doris, those owls are brilliant.
I am continually amazed at your ability to capture the essence of your subject without having to include fine detail.
Then, of course, the foresight to 'see' just how a turning and carving can be so well combined.
Well done, an inspiration.

xy

Why thank you. :)

I love the pig. I can't carved facial features that well and so don't but take my that off to people who do. Did you do all that with a knife? It being Lime

Doris":1tx3cfut said:
xy mosian":1tx3cfut said:
Doris, those owls are brilliant.
I am continually amazed at your ability to capture the essence of your subject without having to include fine detail.
Then, of course, the foresight to 'see' just how a turning and carving can be so well combined.
Well done, an inspiration.

xy

Why thank you. :)

I love the pig. I can't carved facial features that well and so don't but take my that off to people who do. Did you do all that with a knife? It being Lime

Thank you Doris. I cannot say that everything was done with a knife, certainly the tools all had an edge, some being used as a small chisel. Oh and an occasional diamond needle file.
My choice of Lime was because I started in Box but I thought it would take too long. This little Piggy is going to France this weekend.
I have not really carved Box before which was really the reason for my question about Foredom reciprocating head use, see thread about dust. :)

Since finishing the pig I have tried Box again and I can see many advantages, especially at this scale. My main problem seems to be in removal of largish chunks, perhaps it really is down to repetitious small cuts.

xy

New coat rack (sorry for the naff photo)

IMG_1743.jpg

Chest of drawers - using fiddleback sycamore from a condemned tree in my garden.
Chest of drawers for web.jpg

Most of the timber was rotten and fit only for firewood, but there were some very nice bits. 10 drawers all with dovetails front & back - phew!

Attachments

• Chest of drawers for web.jpg
    Chest of drawers for web.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 137
MDE":3581dzgp said:
Chest of drawers - using fiddleback sycamore from a condemned tree in my garden.
Most of the timber was rotten and fit only for firewood, but there were some very nice bits. 10 drawers all with dovetails front & back - phew!

Looks good and dovetailing as well. Trust the wood is seasoned?

MDE":19fgt1pk said:
Awesome work, looks ace. Ten dovetailed drawers? Sounds like a mammoth task!

MattRoberts":10i9hrs3 said:
devonwoody":10i9hrs3 said:
It did take a while, but I used the opportunity to perfect my method of making dovetails with a bandsaw. I can now do a set of dovetails to any design really quickly and neatly. The results of these efforts are now available for all to share (and feedback please) at http://www.perfectdovetails.co.uk .
Re seasoning the wood - sycamore doesn't require long seasoning, but this was the process: Stored the logs for about 6 months then quarter-sawed. Stacked the planks vertically inside to dry for a while, then stacked them outside (under cover) using new softwood battens to separate. Brought the required planks inside to acclimatise before dimensioning. Getting a smooth surface on this stuff was a challenge as the ripple makes tear-out a constant risk - I used a high-angle plane followed by much sanding. It was dead flat when I finished it, but now you can feel the ripple (still smooth though - so it's a really nice sensation). The ripple gives a sort of 3D holographic effect which is really attractive. I'm very pleased with the result from what I thought would be just firewood!

MDE":16bv0a2n said:

Nice work, and doubly satisfying knowing that it's timber from your garden! You've done exceptionally well to keep the Sycamore as white as you have, I see plenty of Sycamore in commercial yards that has been professionally kilned but that is still too grey or too yellow for quality furniture.

=D>

It's a long story as to why I've made this now, so I won't bore you with the details.
Made from European Oak, 2 coats of Sikkens HLS followed by 2 coats of Sikkens Filter 7, light sanding with 1000 wet or dry between coats.

Stew

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 331
Just when I thought I tried my hand at most things woodworking . :)

Attachments

• Mook Yan Jong.jpg
    Mook Yan Jong.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 274
MDE":3bwpgb2z said:
MattRoberts":3bwpgb2z said:
devonwoody":3bwpgb2z said:
It did take a while, but I used the opportunity to perfect my method of making dovetails with a bandsaw. I can now do a set of dovetails to any design really quickly and neatly. The results of these efforts are now available for all to share (and feedback please) at http://www.perfectdovetails.co.uk .
Re seasoning the wood - sycamore doesn't require long seasoning, but this was the process: Stored the logs for about 6 months then quarter-sawed. Stacked the planks vertically inside to dry for a while, then stacked them outside (under cover) using new softwood battens to separate. Brought the required planks inside to acclimatise before dimensioning. Getting a smooth surface on this stuff was a challenge as the ripple makes tear-out a constant risk - I used a high-angle plane followed by much sanding. It was dead flat when I finished it, but now you can feel the ripple (still smooth though - so it's a really nice sensation). The ripple gives a sort of 3D holographic effect which is really attractive. I'm very pleased with the result from what I thought would be just firewood!

As others have said - really nice dovetails.
I looked at your Perfect Dovetails website - you have put a lot of detailed work into it.
have you any plans to include a video of the method to give an overview?
Thanks

Photo%2004-06-2016%2C%2014%2039%2000.jpg

Face frame shaker cabinet for integrated Fridge/Freezer featuring a middle dividing stile, and inset doors hung on butt hinges, mortised on both sides.

galleywood":tj4p67ux said:
As others have said - really nice dovetails.
I looked at your Perfect Dovetails website - you have put a lot of detailed work into it.
have you any plans to include a video of the method to give an overview?
Thanks
When I get time, I think it would help to make a video. However, I don't have much experience in doing that, so it will be a bit of a learning process too. Meanwhile, I have tried to document the method as thoroughly as possible so that others can follow it. I hope that it is sufficiently well documented for others to use as I would like to get some feedback from others using the method. As far as I am aware, the method is completely unique in that it cuts pins and tails from a single template in a manner indistinguishable from hand cut dovetails. Perhaps I should also post the details elsewhere on this forum?

I was shown a picture and asked to knock one of these up this afternoon.
It's a "Traditional Coconut Shredder" (incase you were wondering)! :eek:

Attachments

• mystery object.jpg
    mystery object.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 76
Benchwayze":1ajbr0uw said:
I wouldn't have wanted want one of those on the tank of my old Road Rocket! :shock: :lol:

It'll take your dangly bits off if you're not careful I reckon. :shock:

Back