Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wRDNy1O.jpg

some driftwood a niece brought back for the firepit, but decided to experiment and come out quite nice.

bottom of 2 were hand planed down, the 2'er was planed both sides and had danish oil applied, and the single was an experiment to see what it would look like 'on edge'.

so just getting back to hand planing as not done it for a while and worked really well i think, a 4th was given to my sister as they provided the wood.

probably couldn't retire off them when i get round to putting them on ebay (well why not) but interesting to see how they turned out.

Hi All,

After making a bunch of stands and cabinets for my tools i have a lot of scrap plywood...it's cheap exterior ply so mostly wafer and gaps!

Anyway, I've been thinking of ways to use it up and the first project was a clock for my workshop;

plywood_clock.jpg

Attachments

• plywood_clock.jpg
    plywood_clock.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 230
focusonwood":3q4s06f3 said:
Hi All,

After making a bunch of stands and cabinets for my tools i have a lot of scrap plywood...it's cheap exterior ply so mostly wafer and gaps!

Anyway, I've been thinking of ways to use it up and the first project was a clock for my workshop;

Cool =D>

I have just finished sanding a little milk stool, been working on it over the last couple of days, this is my first ever stool.

I am just waiting for the de-waxed shellac to dissolve and I'll finish it tomorrow, it's a paul sellers design, driving the wedges was tricky, I found the sapele compressed and almost snapped, let me know what you all think,

regards,

Ben.

Attachments

• milk_stool.jpg
    milk_stool.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 125
  • milk_stool-2.jpg
    milk_stool-2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 125
  • milk_stool-3.jpg
    milk_stool-3.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 125
  • milk_stool-4.jpg
    milk_stool-4.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 125
svAUo4mh.jpg

End-grain cutting board about 30 mm thick
Oak, Beech and Walnut -- treated with Olive Oil

Trying out my Makita thicknesser; used MDF sled to get timber flat

here's the stool again with a layer of dewaxed shellac, and in daylight this time, next stage is to add tung oil.

Attachments

• milk_stool_shellac.jpg
    milk_stool_shellac.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 103
Love the stool, are the tenons and mortises straight sided or a continuation of the leg shape? One of the first things i made was a shoe rack, using a bunch of wedged mortice and tenons, by the time i wedged and glued i struggled to get much of the wedge in.
Rack 2.jpg

Rack 1.jpg

Attachments

• Rack 2.jpg
    Rack 2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Rack 1.jpg
    Rack 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 129
Fitzroy":f0byce4d said:
Love the stool, are the tenons and mortises straight sided or a continuation of the leg shape? One of the first things i made was a shoe rack, using a bunch of wedged mortice and tenons, by the time i wedged and glued i struggled to get much of the wedge in.

thanks fitzroy,

it's one singe piece of pine for the legs, I shaped it to fit the hole near the top, made a saw kerf then wedged in some sapele and once the glue set cut off the top, would that be still called a mortice and tenon joint? when I think of mortice and tenon, I can't help thinking of huge joists or doors/tables. I also struggled a bit with one of the wedges so it didn't quite go in as far, it was a lot of fun making this, it's encouraging to see your shoe rack, I have a long way to go yet, but my skills are slowly improving.

monkeybiter":2qscnhat said:
The stool is irregular and imperfect, and I want to touch it and run my hands over it's uneven-ness. I love it.
Was that Gillian McKeith?

I also love the stool for the same reasons, and I'm also not a proper doctor.

thetyreman":2x7rzx3d said:
I have just finished sanding a little milk stool, been working on it over the last couple of days, this is my first ever stool.

I am just waiting for the de-waxed shellac to dissolve and I'll finish it tomorrow, it's a paul sellers design, driving the wedges was tricky, I found the sapele compressed and almost snapped, let me know what you all think,

regards,

Ben.

Very nice =D>
Paul Sellars you say? Would one have a link? :D

n0legs":wkl0rzoh said:
thetyreman":wkl0rzoh said:

regards,

Ben.

Very nice =D>
Paul Sellars you say? Would one have a link? :D

it's from one of his books actually, 'working wood 1 & 2' there's a video link to the 3 legged stool project here: https://vimeo.com/31152389.

I'd highly recommend buying the book, for me as a beginner it's perfect, the projects get more complex as it goes on, similar to an apprenticeship style of learning which is why it appealed to me so much, even if you are a power tool user it would still be useful for learning traditional techniques, anyway I'm a massive fanboy and absolutely sold on his methods and techniques, thanks for your comments.

Made this wall cabinet from cherry and elm (drawer front and back slats). Copy of a piece by Michael Pekovich who writes for FWW http://www.pekovichwoodworks.com/furnit ... rk/4580764

A few firsts for me like through tenons, half blind dovetails. Made a lot of mistakes but reasonably happy with the way it has turned out.

13417438_740641626078816_5846327218478338493_n.jpg

13422401_740641679412144_2248079166433720151_o.jpg

Also this Shaker bench in European oak made to help fit the kids around the kitchen table.

13466270_740642372745408_9081517292795118003_n.jpg

Buckeye":3dppqb7d said:
Made this wall cabinet from cherry and elm (drawer front and back slats). Copy of a piece by Michael Pekovich who writes for FWW http://www.pekovichwoodworks.com/furnit ... rk/4580764

A few firsts for me like through tenons, half blind dovetails. Made a lot of mistakes but reasonably happy with the way it has turned out.

13417438_740641626078816_5846327218478338493_n.jpg

13422401_740641679412144_2248079166433720151_o.jpg

Also this Shaker bench in European oak made to help fit the kids around the kitchen table.

13466270_740642372745408_9081517292795118003_n.jpg

=D> that's awesome, great job mate

Back