Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a very good looking mallet. Does it slip on the chisel handle in use?
Please explain what " UHMW " is, yes I can see that it is some variety of plastic.

xy

xy mosian":2vh4fc4d said:
Please explain what " UHMW " is, yes I can see that it is some variety of plastic.

xy

Thank you.
As far as I've used it hasn't slipped, it just gives a nice solid "thunk" on the chisels.
UHMW is Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene. It's very tough and it is quite easy to work, I turned the head with a roughing gouge and a scraper. I drilled it with a forstner bit. Lovely long ribbons of the stuff all over the workshop :D
Here's a link for Wiki that explains it far better than I ever could:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-hig ... lyethylene

n0legs":cdls26ei said:
xy mosian":cdls26ei said:

xy

Thank you.
As far as I've used it hasn't slipped, it just gives a nice solid "thunk" on the chisels.
UHMW is Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene. It's very tough and it is quite easy to work, I turned the head with a roughing gouge and a scraper. I drilled it with a forstner bit. Lovely long ribbons of the stuff all over the workshop :D
Here's a link for Wiki that explains it far better than I ever could:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-hig ... lyethylene

Can I ask where you got the plastic from as I may well follow your example

Roger

Fitzroy":3heb36fv said:
Oak and ash folding step stool, based on a youtube video.

Open

Folded
That looks mind bogglingly awesome !!! Very smart

Coley

My wife wanted a mushroom.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 399
Penny":jb43xe3i said:
A Pace Stick stand made for an old boss' husband who has just been made a Sergeant Major. Most of those that are made are a simple base and two boards standing at 90 degrees with a notch in them and have burgundy felt to protect the Pace Stick. I've added a WW2 REME Capbadge and a current one. A mobile phone rest is at the back. A brass name plaque will be added by his wife. It's made in White Oak and stained cherry because Cherry is very expensive, especially for the thickness I needed.*

View attachment 12736983

View attachment 12755043

* A Pace Stick, for those that don't know, is the 'stick' that Sergeant Majors carry around with them. It is seem as one of the accoutrements of office. It opens up to be used for measuring the 'pace' or 'step' during foot drill.

Now with it's brass name plaque and complete with the pace stick. Now, I hadn't been able to get the pace stick to check the colour, but by 'eck, it's a bloody good match! The new owner has already had people asking if they could get one the same...

12776754_10154552385184908_887078363_o.jpg

Attachments

• 12776754_10154552385184908_887078363_o.jpg
    12776754_10154552385184908_887078363_o.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 341
cqLNdUah.jpg

DKcEqqXh.jpg

Adirondack made to a Norm design in Redwood

Norm

White is the primer/undercoat
Waiting for warmer weather before painting Pale Blue

First chair I've made; now swapped the roofing bolts for stainless coach-bolts
Had to resize Norm's plans and made templates in MDF

DgxUMFLh.jpg

''The Lamp Of Shame''

Amazing how something that appears initially so simple can pose so many manufacturing problems.

Still, it works fine.

Attachments

• lamp of shameb.jpg
    lamp of shameb.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 189
Cheers Keith
Yes very comfortable; I'm not surprised that they are so popular in USA
Already have orders for 2 more, free of course :lol: :lol:

Going to make exactly as Norm's plans except for a few pocket hole joints - seat and back slats

The legs look a little vulnerable should the chair be moved around a lot, so I'm going to make one with Oak legs and second with Mahogany legs using timber that's lying around
Norm's Video

NazNomad":1whaeh5v said:
Woodchips2":1whaeh5v said:
Is the chair very comfortable?

The Adirondack chair is often stated as being ''the most comfortable wooden chair you'll ever sit in'' ... and they're right. I made three of these many years ago and they out-comfort any other wooden furniture I've sat on.

I used these plans ... http://www.buildeazy.com/fp_adirondackchair_std-4.html

Very comfortable when you're sat down...but tricky for anyone over 40 to then stand up!

Latest posts

Back