Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small bowl in lime. Max height 90mm x max width 130mm.
Had 4 coats of danish oil and will need a few more, I'm not especially happy with it but wife has claimed so she can have it. :)
Bob

Attachments

• Lime 1.JPG
    Lime 1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 192
  • Lime 2.JPG
    Lime 2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 192
  • Lime 3.JPG
    Lime 3.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Lime 4.JPG
    Lime 4.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 193
  • Lime 5.JPG
    Lime 5.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 193
"Cross-grained 1mm stringing" - my brain turns to mush just trying to imagine doing this. How did you do that?? I've never tried doing string inlay, but have recently bought a few LN cutters so I can make my own tools (rather than pay £100s for the very beautiful LN Latta-designed ones) to have a go. Very nice curves, BTW, W2S

Woody2Shoes":kl3baz8p said:
"Cross-grained 1mm stringing" - my brain turns to mush just trying to imagine doing this. How did you do that?? I've never tried doing string inlay, but have recently bought a few LN cutters so I can make my own tools (rather than pay £100s for the very beautiful LN Latta-designed ones) to have a go. Very nice curves, BTW, W2S

Exactly what I was thinking, that must be like trying to inlay a slice of digestive biscuit. Beautiful work, Custard.

Woody2Shoes":2djtqj4e said:
"Cross-grained 1mm stringing" - my brain turns to mush just trying to imagine doing this. How did you do that??

Everyone seems to figure out there own way of doing it. Some people use those really tiny bench top circular saws, with an ultra thin kerf blade and a zero clearance insert. Initially I tried my big table saw, but because it has a permanent sliding table it's tricky to get a really tight fitting zero clearance insert, and the draught around the saw plate made the workpiece flutter and it then just destroyed itself. Eventually I found a way using a hand held circular saw running in a track, the workpiece is fully supported underneath and you can use engineer's shims to adjust the width of the cut against a stop. Another maker I know has figured out a way of making cross grain inlay down to 0.5mm thick, but he's not telling how and I can't get finer than 1.0mm with my system!

Good luck with the LN cutters, they're superb pieces of tool steel, but make sure you use a good file like a Grobet to sharpen them or it's easy to lose the profile.

Toby Tools of this parish spent the day in my workshop. He's making a Krenov style cabinet on stand as the main project for his C&G cabinet making course and he wanted some help veneering panels for the interior and the doors, so I sorted him out some really heavily rippled Ash veneer that's a touch thicker than the usual 0.6mm and showed him how to shoot veneer edges and vacuum veneer it to an MDF substrate with Sycamore backing veneers.

He's a fine craftsman and a quick learner! When the finish is applied I think it will be pretty spectacular cabinet so good luck Toby with your course and your Krenov cabinet!

TobyTools.jpg

Attachments

• TobyTools.jpg
    TobyTools.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 616
Quick and dirty sawhorse

26AFCFFC-8E6F-4188-BB7F-A437E22ABEE7-19469-00002ADD5F597A64.jpg

The one on the right is just an old and dirty sawhorse

custard":1u1g2fmu said:
This is one of a pair of side tables I made from some large stocks of Tiger Oak that I was lucky enough to find.

Simply stunning Custard =D>

Lons":23pjlmhf said:
Small bowl in lime. Max height 90mm x max width 130mm.
Had 4 coats of danish oil and will need a few more, I'm not especially happy with it but wife has claimed so she can have it. :)
Bob

Very nice Bob =D>

custard":hwocl0e5 said:
Toby Tools of this parish spent the day in my workshop. He's making a Krenov style cabinet on stand as the main project for his C&G cabinet making course and he wanted some help veneering panels for the interior and the doors, so I sorted him out some really heavily rippled Ash veneer that's a touch thicker than the usual 0.6mm and showed him how to shoot veneer edges and vacuum veneer it to an MDF substrate with Sycamore backing veneers.

For Toby and Custard =D>
That's going to look fantastic =D>

DTR":ks4hsy8a said:
Quick and dirty sawhorse

I don't know about that, you've taken the care to house the stretchers into the legs and there are a few other little touches that are evidence of quality and craftsmanship. I reckon someone will still be using it in fifty or sixty years and thinking "pity they don't make them like this any more!".

=D>

Latest posts

Back