Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first go at making furniture of any sort (so be kind!) - some plywood drawer cabinets for my workshed (it's not big enough to be a shop!) to fit under the "workbench" I made a while back from recycled wood. Two identical cabinets side by side (I don't have room to make anything bigger in one go!)

drawers1.jpg

Full extension drawers for maximum storage :D The handles are made from recycled 2x4 offcuts and have grooves cut top and bottom for grip.

drawers2.jpg

Only caught the woodwork bug last summer, quite pleased with how these turned out considering the cheapness of some of the tools used to create them. Also pleased with how much less clutter there is now that the drawers are full :)

Although generally the biggest drawer would be at the bottom for the most pleasing aesthetic, I decided that the big drawers would most likely house the heaviest stuff and I'd rather not have to lift that up from almost floor level - hence the bottom drawers are slightly smaller than those above them. It seems to work so far despite looking a bit odd at first glance. Also the drawer fascias are cut from one contiguous sheet - even though it's only knotty Wickes plywood I like the effect 8)

Attachments

• drawers1.jpg
    drawers1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 510
  • drawers2.jpg
    drawers2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 510
Benchwayze":2tgz0pit said:
This puts my old bank of shop-drawers to shame Moose. At first glance I thought I was looking at a bedroom fitment!
+1
They look very nice, its more pleasant to work in a nicely fitted out workshop I think. I do have to admit though that my workshop is far from glamorous right now. Second hand reclaimed plywood sheets for the interior wall boarding out complete with random splashed mud effect pattern is not exactly in vogue right now!! :oops:

Benchwayze":y1nsgjmp said:
This puts my old bank of shop-drawers to shame Moose. At first glance I thought I was looking at a bedroom fitment!

Nice one.

Cheers

+1 More for the above, very well done!
Regards Rodders

Thanks chaps! They look better in these photos than in real life, my rubbish phone camera has smoothed out all the rough bits. It's bare wood throughout and certainly looks like shop furniture close up :oops:

The ukulele was built from a kit and decorated by me. The box was made from scratch. It was my entry into the PimpMyUke contest organised by Age Cymru for Men's Sheds in Wales. I took overall best pimped ukulele prize and our group also took the cup for best band. :)
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 359
My latest piece. I turned the base from a random log in my workshop and the colours stunned me once it was waxed. I then fitted the electrics and made the shade. Very pleased with it!

lamp2 (1).jpg

lamp2 (2).jpg

Attachments

• lamp2 (2).jpg
    lamp2 (2).jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 295
  • lamp2 (1).jpg
    lamp2 (1).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 295
So you should be, it's nice interesting piece and well made. Amazing what's lurking in the woodpile! :)

Made a magnetic wooden knife holder to compliment some kitchen wall fittings I posted on the projects forum a while back. Quite simple to make using 3mm by 10mm rare earth magnets, fascinated my granddaughter, I told her it was made out of a magnet tree.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photographs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 200
gregmcateer":3iym0ex9 said:
Nice one, Dave.
Do please enlighten your g'daughter at some point!

Lol, never tell, always keep them guessing! They have the rest of their lives to live in a rational world where they have to get up and go to work. My boy is five and he has to do homework everyday. Surely that's not right! Nice knife rack btw, sorry if i'm wandering, it just made me laugh. :D
God Bless Bill Watterson.

dV2wszp.jpg

I bought an 8lb maul head on Ebay for $11 and a big piece of hickory for $20.

Several hours later, and after a good workout on the shavehorse with a drawknife, spokeshaves and a knife, I have a 34" handle to suit the axehead. If you haven't worked with hickory before, it's really really tough on power tools, but hand tools work very well on it. So apart from roughing out the blank on the bandsaw I worked it all by hand and loved every minute of it.

The head was in fair shape and only needed a little work with a file. It's a maul, not an axe so sharpness is not desired or required.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0141_04.JPG
    IMG_0141_04.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 324
Very nicely done. I might need to add a shavehorse to my long list of projects! I've actually got a few axe heads lying around waiting for the day I get around to handling them.

Back