Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned this today from a privet root ball my nephew dropped of last year for the fire pile. He's just popped in and buggered off with it before I could display it for a little longer.
P1060646.jpg

P1060658.jpg

P1060664.jpg

It's 100mm high by 150mm wide. It cost me a bandsaw blade and a tungsten tip cutting through the odd stone embedded in it.

I'm not sure if im embarrassed about this last project or not :LOL:
It looks simple but is actually made in the same manner that you would build a timber framed house.
Stud partitions giving a depth of 2", with multiple layers(5) of foil backed insulation in the spaces.
6mm internal ply cladding.
Outer consists of studs,covered by a vapour barrier,covered by 18mm osb,covered by roofing felt, which is stuck on using bitchumen based adhesive, which also adds to the overall waterproofing.
Lid is hinged on, but is of sufficient weight(18mm pine boards, with cross members providing an overhang, also coated in bitchumen, varnished internally
Base is 18mm osb,then 5 more layers of insulation, covered by 6mm ply covered by melamine to provide a weatherproof barrier, although within a few months the soil beneath will dry out completely. It also stands on 4x 3" thick legs.
Internal flooring is bare osb, covered by 10mm dual sided closed cell foam from a camping sleeping mat. Contact adhesive to the osb.
3 windows of differing sizes(2 sides,1 rear) lined and framed in mahogany, with 8 layers of waterproof paint and 5mm perspex for the glass. Inside face of the external window frames are also bitchumen coated to prevent water ingress onto the back of them due to the rough nature of the felt
Lower protective external cladding in mahogany also with 8 layers of the same paint.
Standard cat flap at the front.

Cannot tell if the little blighter has used it yet :LOL: Im hoping he will in heavy rain and get used to it from there. I'll stick in some more of his own blankets to help persuade.
I know it looks a bit rough after a week out, but its very solidly built, and i think considerably more wind and watertight than your average outdoor structure,sheds and the like.
I've still to add a ventilation grille, just to prevent any moisture build up.
DSCF4026.JPG
DSCF4028.JPG

Last edited:
So in another thread you may have seen I was the recipient of an Axi Gift Card for Crimbo. So I went with said card to Axminster and spent a fortune more on a new lathe and chuck set up..... I turned when I was a lot younger, and a little bit again a number of years back, some will see I have been turning pens last year on a mini Proxxon....anyway long story short here is my first ever attempt at a bowl (never tried one previously) it's not perfect, but equally I don't think it's awful thankfully - it's a piece of Sycamore for those interested...

IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_2313.jpeg
IMG_2314.jpeg

Regards

Padster

@TRITON Pray tell what sort of "little blighter" is it and how does he get in?
Sorry, it's a cat.Standard cat flap- Bought from 'Pets at Home 'for a tenner(free advert)

Gods gift to ritual murder. No job too small,he kills 'em all.
Hence the 3 windows, covering the back and sides and the fact its pretty buried in bushes ,with a fir tree covering, it pretty much gives him 360 degrees vision.

If he want's to be the mass murderer(pigeons are involved) then fair be to him. He got attacked by a dog as an adolescent and has no tail and a large bare spot on his lower back where the nerves have being destroyed and the fur can't grow back :cry: Too trusting, too young to know the dangers.

So damaged goods it would seem. :cautious:

So if that's his gig, then that's his gig. He's a cat, who after all, are we to judge ;)
But he's got a big garden, but all he has is a draughty greenhouse to winter in, as he makes full use of the area he's been assigned to. So I thought I'd build him a cat bothy(hunting lodge) nice and cozy. As a guard house for his nightly missions.
:D

Last edited:
So in another thread you may have seen I was the recipient of an Axi Gift Card for Crimbo. So I went with said card to Axminster and spent a fortune more on a new lathe and chuck set up..... I turned when I was a lot younger, and a little bit again a number of years back, some will see I have been turning pens last year on a mini Proxxon....anyway long story short here is my first ever attempt at a bowl (never tried one previously) it's not perfect, but equally I don't think it's awful thankfully - it's a piece of Sycamore for those interested...

View attachment 125642View attachment 125643View attachment 125644

Regards

Padster
Thats beautiful, I like turning sycamore, wish I had more of it.

Replacement handle for an my only 14tpi saw. Old handle was all drilled out and secured with hex bolts! Fortunately the previous butcher didn't damage the blade :)

Made from scraps of oil stained mahogany and what I think is cheap teak. Nuts from Thomas Flinn & Co.

Attachments

• 20220101_211006.jpg
    20220101_211006.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 45
Made another Leaf Box using this dark wood. Not sure what it is. Nice though.

Attachments

• E07672AB-236B-47AF-8948-B1894358D867.jpeg
    E07672AB-236B-47AF-8948-B1894358D867.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 35
  • C4986A16-AB7F-4AB8-8232-0999209F34DD.jpeg
    C4986A16-AB7F-4AB8-8232-0999209F34DD.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 6A1E5205-87E8-4F72-B0B7-5085392FBC74.jpeg
    6A1E5205-87E8-4F72-B0B7-5085392FBC74.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 14044A71-F8EE-4B29-BEED-7EF29FEE8D45.jpeg
    14044A71-F8EE-4B29-BEED-7EF29FEE8D45.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 32
So even though I think k my bearings are on the way out yesterday I decided to put a piece of cherry on the lathe and see what happens, outside shape formed quite nicely and I decided it looked like it needed a lid so kept that in mind as I got started on hollowing out the end grain, for some reason, likely to be tool sharpness and my skillset (or at least a lack of both🤷‍♂️) this cherry is an absolute pain to hollow end grain, anyway I got most of the way down and instead of stopping to sharpen as I was getting g a few little catches I decided to go for one more pass, big mistake, got a big catch that caused two parallel cracks running top to bottom, to say I was cheesed is an understatement and I must have used every profanity I could think of. I decided to fill the cracks with glue and try to pullt it all back together but I couldn't find my big jubilee clips that would have done the job perfectly so had to use tape which brought the rim back together but didn't do a great job in the middle 🤬🤬🤬.
Today I went out determined to finish it regardless of how it looks, there is a bark inclusion central to the two cracks that kind of makes it all work, almost like the cracks are framing the inclusion. So I gave it all a final few passes with the gouge and scraper, sanded it to 240 then used the Yandles abrasive paste and diamond polish I bought while down there last week, I have to say I actually really like the outcome, I made a lid using a scrap of sycamore with a round handle made from another scrap (not sure of species)
Not sure if I used the paste and wax correctly, seemed to take a very long time to work them in untill the paper towel came away clean. Because of the cracks this piece will never be sold or gifted and will stay as my own.
20220102_140232.jpg
20220102_140247.jpg

Back