Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son gave me a small 3D printer for Christmas. Great fun playing with it. I tried a few modelling programs, but FreeCad seemed a good choice at the moment.
Made a simple filler for the lathe.
Img_5635.jpg

Img_5636.jpg

A lily pad box I made for wife’s sister at Christmas. Stabilized maple Burl
This is very impressive. I presume that you turned the balls with stems, to attach them to the box but how did you hold the little dish at the top while you turned it? I presume that the stem of the ball passes through it, did you hold the dish in a jam chuck as you finished it?
Your fine turning is completely out of my league.
Martin

This is very impressive. I presume that you turned the balls with stems, to attach them to the box but how did you hold the little dish at the top while you turned it? I presume that the stem of the ball passes through it, did you hold the dish in a jam chuck as you finished it?
Your fine turning is completely out of my league.
Martin
Don’t ever think you can’t turn something. Now embellishing something that’s a different story. That’s where I have trouble. But turning is methodical. Approach it step by step.
the box above has a waste block glued both ends then when held between centres I turn the box and waste blocks round and put tenons on each block to hold then I recheck one end to hold and part the lid off the box.
EF6CAD95-4FF7-4719-B6A6-CF9C82FD2A1A.jpeg

sorry little blurry but you get the idea.then when parted I can hold each piece separately in chuck and turn. I do inside first an$ I sometimes leav some decorative groves inside box, with one groove being a way I can expand a chuck into it to hold it to turn the outside top and bottom.
B7D91F59-7ED9-4E26-B669-A0F14472F68E.jpeg
55CCE033-932D-41F9-B251-B3F1E9D89A32.jpeg
564123E9-BB83-49BD-8C0F-DFBBA40FC46D.jpeg

this is the side of a lid, you can see groove I can expand chuck into.
F25BD6E4-F792-4221-AC99-BCAA37411EC6.jpeg

lastly legs and finial. The balls I drill and dowel. The finial sometimes I leave some wood to glue into a drilled hole.
BB6BBF35-CA69-484B-B05E-5150CADD3A1D.jpeg

ECA0FE80-501E-4114-8492-5B6C76EF001A.jpeg

I’ll also add some groves in the stub I leave on bottom of finial for the glue to grab hold of better.

Last edited:
Don’t ever think you can’t turn something. Now embellishing something that’s a different story. That’s where I have trouble. But turning is methodical. Approach it step by step.
the box above has a waste block glued both ends then when held between centres I turn the box and waste blocks round and put tenons on each block to hold then I recheck one end to hold and part the lid off the box.
View attachment 125332
sorry little blurry but you get the idea.then when parted I can hold each piece separately in chuck and turn. I do inside first an$ I sometimes leav some decorative groves inside box, with one groove being a way I can expand a chuck into it to hold it to turn the outside top and bottom.
View attachment 125333View attachment 125334View attachment 125335
this is the side of a lid, you can see groove I can expand chuck into.View attachment 125337

lastly legs and finial. The balls I drill and dowel. The finial sometimes I leave some wood to glue into a drilled hole. View attachment 125339
View attachment 125340
I’ll also add some groves in the stub I leave on bottom of finial for the glue to grab hold of better.
You make it sound so simple 😁😁😁 your skills are 100% something to aspire to, I look forward to the day my skills can produce something so exquisite 😁😁😁

I made this. It was in an Intructable email, and my best beloved looked at it and said "You could make that this afternoon." I assumed I was going to prove her wrong and just make misery and sawdust, but lo and behold I made it and it works. Though when you see it this close up it's clear that I'm not great at lathe stuff, or finishing stuff. But I did finally use the O'Donnell jaws I bought a very long time ago, and the Axminster press brake I've had for a decade and used (now) five times, so I'm actually quite pleased.

It is an Epicyclic Bar Angular Transmission or Hobson’s Joint or, if you prefer, a fiddle toy. The two barrel bits (made from an offcut of an old guitar body blank) rotate at 90° to each other. The rods are made from a welding rod that I chopped with bolt cutters, rounded the ends on a sanding drum, and bent in the press brake. Took about 2 hours total, including trying to remember how to work my lathe, and the fixing of several mistakes. The Instructable, which includes 3D printing and laser cutting approaches, is here - Twisty Toy

IMG_0476.JPG

I made this. It was in an Intructable email, and my best beloved looked at it and said "You could make that this afternoon." I assumed I was going to prove her wrong and just make misery and sawdust, but lo and behold I made it and it works. Though when you see it this close up it's clear that I'm not great at lathe stuff, or finishing stuff. But I did finally use the O'Donnell jaws I bought a very long time ago, and the Axminster press brake I've had for a decade and used (now) five times, so I'm actually quite pleased.

It is an Epicyclic Bar Angular Transmission or Hobson’s Joint or, if you prefer, a fiddle toy. The two barrel bits (made from an offcut of an old guitar body blank) rotate at 90° to each other. The rods are made from a welding rod that I chopped with bolt cutters, rounded the ends on a sanding drum, and bent in the press brake. Took about 2 hours total, including trying to remember how to work my lathe, and the fixing of several mistakes. The Instructable, which includes 3D printing and laser cutting approaches, is here - Twisty Toy

View attachment 125432
Witchcraft! There is no way that should work!

V

View attachment 125432
Verrry nifty!!!

I don't like making the same thing twice. The stairs themselves are pretty straightforward, it's making the non-Euclidian geometry to house them that takes a bit of thought (and some very small bits of masking tape).

Back