Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was going to make a new tote and handle for a #5 plane restoration from some lovely spalted beech I had stored away. Unfortunately, what I ended up making was a lot of worm-riddled firewood.

Which was quite annoying so I spent some time sharpening my saws, which is also quite annoying without a saw clamp. Which is what I made instead.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_110215.jpg
    IMG_20211110_110215.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20211111_223508.jpg
    IMG_20211111_223508.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20211111_223349.jpg
    IMG_20211111_223349.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 40
My partner has a significant birthday coming up so I thought I'd have a go at some wooden roses based on ideas from several YouTube channels. They needed a couple of bud vases as well.

The vases are turned from a piece of wood I've had sitting around for many years (probably elm) and are fitted with test tube inserts - in case she prefers real roses that need watering :)

The roses have stems cut from 12mm square lengths of Sapele and Walnut using a scroll saw and then sanded roundish. The whiter petals are shavings from a piece of construction softwood with the more orange petals made from pitch pine? shavings.

Wood roses.jpg

Make sure you book in advance, went a few years ago and most places were booked
I don't use camp sites
My partner has a significant birthday coming up so I thought I'd have a go at some wooden roses based on ideas from several YouTube channels. They needed a couple of bud vases as well.

The vases are turned from a piece of wood I've had sitting around for many years (probably elm) and are fitted with test tube inserts - in case she prefers real roses that need watering :)

The roses have stems cut from 12mm square lengths of Sapele and Walnut using a scroll saw and then sanded roundish. The whiter petals are shavings from a piece of construction softwood with the more orange petals made from pitch pine? shavings.

View attachment 121678
They are fantastic.

Now that I have a 4jaw chuck I threw a small piece of my recently acquired cherry tree the lathe to see what it wanted to be, im actually really pleased, so far it has been sanded up to 800 (I know many will say that's a waste of time and sandpaper but I don't have abrasive pastes so I have to use what I have) once I get some beeswax on it I'll turn it around, remove the tenon and put my logo on it. This one will be a gift to the guy that gave me the cherry wood.

I threw a small piece of my recently acquired cherry tree the lathe to see what it wanted to be

Thats cool :) did you get lots of bits breaking away or did it start with those edges? I dont suppose you got a photo of the blank?

Thats cool :) did you get lots of bits breaking away or did it start with those edges? I dont suppose you got a photo of the blank?
I forgot to take a pic of the piece on the lathe before turning but I've circled the piece in the picture, the piece was only joined by a tiny bit of wood so it broke in two, the other half is going on the lathe next.
20211011_150020.jpg

Now that I have a 4jaw chuck I threw a small piece of my recently acquired cherry tree the lathe to see what it wanted to be, im actually really pleased, so far it has been sanded up to 800 (I know many will say that's a waste of time and sandpaper but I don't have abrasive pastes so I have to use what I have) once I get some beeswax on it I'll turn it around, remove the tenon and put my logo on it. This one will be a gift to the guy that gave me the cherry wood.
View attachment 121785

Pretty.. You'd do well to put a harder finish on it, though, beeswax alone will mark easily.

I want to make some boxes from a bit of Yew "fire wood" and need to cut groves and rebates. I don't have a router or table saw and considered the saw Lidle has on offer this week. However I don't really have the space but I do have a load of scrapped timber including the frame of an oak dining table and an old 1/4" chisel. I decided to see if I could make a plough plane which could double up as a shoulder plane. I had a bit of trouble with the table of my drill coming out of square half way through making the holes for the guide rods rather stiff. I've ended up with rather tight interference joins which handily mean the fence can be tapped into place with some ply spacers setting the distance from the edge of the groove and at lest at this stage no need for clamping screws. I've tried it out and it works!!
1636810398297.png
1636810460482.png
1636810506896.png

View attachment 121678
Have you got links to the YouTube videos?

There are quite a few results in YouTube if you search for Wood Roses but the two that I liked most were:

but I used hot glue as in

For some of the shavings I held them over a steaming saucepan for a few seconds to make them a bit more pliable. Some shavings will split but most played nicely :)

Pretty.. You'd do well to put a harder finish on it, though, beeswax alone will mark easily.
Thanks Phil, it's all I have at the minute and having spent so much recently on the bench grinder, chuck and abranet abrasive mesh I'm flat broke for the foreseeable, sanding sealers, abrasive pastes and finishes are all that's on my Xmas list this year though so who knows.

This morning I worked turned off the tenon and applied 2 thin coats of the beeswax into the wood and then realised I'd forgotten to print my logo on the base, oh well. I applied the wax with kitchen towel and with the lathe running on its lowest gear so about 450rpm and it has buffed out to a very nice sheen I'm totally in love with the red colouration and with the contrast between sapwood and grain wood, ive also impressed myself at getting the walls and base to a pretty even 5mm all the way through.
20211113_152822.jpg
20211113_152909.jpg

So today I threw the other half of the piece of cherry on the lathe, in the first pic you can see the small spot where the two pieces were attached.
20211113_155335.jpg
20211113_155341.jpg

A few short videos showing my progress, so far I've turned the outside with a tenon and sanded up to 400, the wood is still fairly wet so overnight it will sit in a bag of its own shavings, feel free to critique 😁
20211113_175216.jpg

20211113_183733.jpg

Attachments

• 20211113_175222.mp4
    13.8 MB
Your really getting into it!

Cheers James
I've spent the last 3 years watching YouTube, I've only recently been able to make space in my garage and be able to afford to buy the peripherals to go with the lathe, I'd spend all day out there now if I could but the dogs need attention too so a couple hours a day is as much as I can justify out there for now. Having nice wood helps too 😁

Been tidying up the workshop, and fed up of two boxes of lathe tools which sit collecting sawdust, threw together a small rack… supports repurposed, and then a 1m of a piece of random wood drilled with a 30mm forstner bit (decent famag bits eat through hardwood) with 30mm between each, leaving space for future purchases…
AC5AC9CD-4A28-4B3E-A693-E6A50E2BBE30.jpeg
47344514-EFB6-4C11-A632-8E25A2653AE7.jpeg
83095925-30BE-4BBA-B8D5-058BC10345C7.jpeg

I've spent the last 3 years watching YouTube, I've only recently been able to make space in my garage and be able to afford to buy the peripherals to go with the lathe, I'd spend all day out there now if I could but the dogs need attention too so a couple hours a day is as much as I can justify out there for now. Having nice wood helps too 😁
You have inspired me tonight!

A rolling pin! From some scrap hardwood a forum member gave me!
IMG-20211113-WA0007.jpeg

Thanks Phil, it's all I have at the minute and having spent so much recently on the bench grinder, chuck and abranet abrasive mesh I'm flat broke for the foreseeable, sanding sealers, abrasive pastes and finishes are all that's on my Xmas list this year though so who knows.

This morning I worked turned off the tenon and applied 2 thin coats of the beeswax into the wood and then realised I'd forgotten to print my logo on the base, oh well. I applied the wax with kitchen towel and with the lathe running on its lowest gear so about 450rpm and it has buffed out to a very nice sheen I'm totally in love with the red colouration and with the contrast between sapwood and grain wood, ive also impressed myself at getting the walls and base to a pretty even 5mm all the way through.
View attachment 121838View attachment 121839
A very nice little bowl. Great colours.
Regards
John

Thanks @Jameshow that looks nice and comfy to use, I like the narrowing at each end.

@Orraloon wild cherry is absolutely beautiful and possibly my favourite wood, the red colouration is stunning, hopefully it will remain and not fade away too much. I'm looking forward to using some of the bigger bits I have.

Back