Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AES":26k814rf said:
OK craig, I'm not a Matabo owner myself, but their stuff generally gets good write ups here. That's about all I can say, except that the model I referenced will fit on a table top. I'm thinking of looking at one myself, to get rid of my pretty horrid Einhell, but it won't be any time soon, so can't say anything further, sorry.

Don't be sorry man, I thank you and welcome recommendations, I did have a quick look into this specific saw and it doesn't have the capacity i need (im chasing a unicorn).

Blackswanwood":1cmra205 said:
woodbloke66":1cmra205 said:
Moxon vic using the Benchraft kit from CHT

Made from 45mm thick Euro Oak - Rob

I have been tempted to invest in a moxon vice Rob - are you pleased with it?
I just finished it this afternoon, so haven't used it yet. It's a heavy, chunky wee beastie so I need to be a bit careful cramping it to the bench top; the handwheels spin very freely on the spindles and it certainly grips anything put between the jaws. The trickiest part of the build is making the elongated holes in the front jaw. I tried to do them first of all using an old 19mm Forstner bit but ended up with holes which were skewed and off centre so I had to plug them, using some epoxy glue. I then routed them out with a 19.5mm bit which was a lot more accurate and didn't take too long either...should have done it that way in the first place (hammer) . Once the cock-up had been sorted out the rest of the build was a pretty straight forward exercise. I used some polyurethane glue...

IMG_2761.jpg

...for the first time today and tried it in the vacuum bag to glue the lining to the front jaw. A bit OTT, but it seemed to stick :D - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 275
Memzey, nice board. I've made a few small end grain ones myself, nothing to approach yours, but enough to know it is tricky to do them as well as you have. And a very elegant design.

keith

Thanks MM. It is the first one I’ve ever made so lots for me to learn while doing it. Being so chunky and predominantly end grain created lots of challenges but I’m glad I made it. Mrs. memzey thought it was too thick at first but she likes it now too. The design was largely informed by the stock I had available so I can’t take too much credit for that I’m afraid! Oh and you wouldn’t believe how much oil that thing soaked up before it was charged - almost a whole pint!

Totally ashamed of my work.

IMG_20190501_104940.jpg

This started off as a mallet and ended up looking more like Thor's Hammer.
I originally tried to cut out a hole in the centre to allow for the handle to go through, I drilled it out best I could and tried to then chisel it. I was using the chisels kindly given to me by Racers, I thought they were sharp but had very little impression on the wood. No idea what the wood is but I have known house bricks to be softer. I ended up cutting out the hole and have sort of patched up the mallet so it looks sort of like a mallet.

IMG_20190501_104851.jpg

ordered new chisels, hopefully that will work out.

IMG_20190501_104957.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_104940.jpg
    IMG_20190501_104940.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20190501_104851.jpg
    IMG_20190501_104851.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20190501_104957.jpg
    IMG_20190501_104957.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 196
no need to be ashamed garno, that looks like oak and pine, you need ultra sharp chisels for those woods, I think you did a good job anyway, mallets are always handy, I have yet to make one.

Garno":2tppt7wk said:

That's not right Garno. You're one of the few that picked up your tools and actually got stuck into making stuff. So as far as I'm concerned you're already way ahead of all the armchair warriors who bang on and on but never actually make anything.

Plus I bet your mallet can still deliver a mighty whack, so what's not to like?

custard":2tf40gww said:
Garno":2tf40gww said:

That's not right Garno. You're one of the few that picked up your tools and actually got stuck into making stuff. So as far as I'm concerned you're already way ahead of all the armchair warriors who bang on and on but never actually make anything.

Plus I bet your mallet can still deliver a mighty whack, so what's not to like?
This. All day long this.

Waffling on about stuff from behind a keyboard is a doddle. Actually making something takes time, planning, courage and determination not to mention skill. Well done you for doing so and for sharing your outcomes on here.

memzey":jpcsnxk4 said:
Waffling on about stuff from behind a keyboard is a doddle. Actually making something takes time, planning, courage and determination not to mention skill. Well done you for doing so and for sharing your outcomes on here.

Absolutely agreed M but I'd add the occasional cock-up and in my case, lots of cock-ups to that list :lol: - Rob

Thanks guys,
Hearing/reading those kind words and encouragement from my peers mean a lot.

Thank you.

I'm still baffled as to how you manage to make it stick to to your PC. :shock:
*mumbles only the pure can pick up mjolnir* into hand and looks nervous. (hammer)
Great work Garno. Will serve you for years. It's a mallet mate get bangin'!

woodbloke66":fd9e7syn said:
memzey":fd9e7syn said:

Absolutely agreed M but I'd add the occasional cock-up and in my case, lots of cock-ups to that list :lol: - Rob
Lol! If it’s cock-ups we’re comparing Rob I’m up there with the best of them I assure you! There was one item I made a couple of years ago that was so hideous and out of proportion the only name it went by in my household was unmentionable on here! It took almost a year of persuading before my wife let me make something else for the house, which was quite a setback, so when I say it “it takes courage to make” I mean it from personal experience.

Actually this makes me think that between the last item I made and posted on here (daughter’s box/chest) and that chopping board, I’ve made a few other things without publishing them here. Purely because publishing well written and thought out posts with photos takes time. Making well designed and executed items of furniture takes time. With a career, wife and three young children in tow, I don’t have enough time to do both. Personally I’d much rather mess about In front of my bench than behind my keyboard - I spend enough time using one of those at work!

Racers":2g7cpojj said:
Rosewood Spokeshave
Pete

Usual standards Mr Maddex. Agree on the knobs if you don't mind me saying. I like the angular lines of it. It's interesting.

Very nice looking tool Mr. Maddex, good enough to hang on the wall as "art". But as it works so well (from the shavings pictures) then you have a double-wammy there!

Thanks chaps.

A couple of slimmer brass knobs would set it off a treat.

Pete

You could cut them off with a fine tooth hack saw (32 TPI) or jewellers' saw then finish off with a smooth file. That would save getting the lathe out (but, not being cheeky, 'onest Guv, what's it doing being packed away in the 1st place)? :D

No space I only have a single garage it’s the length of the house but I have filled it!

Pete

Racers":2c1i7kr7 said:
No space I only have a single garage it’s the length of the house but I have filled it!

Pete

I have visited Pete's house last year and can vouch that the garage is indeed full :D

I have recently built a bed for my son. I have only used few screws to support the glue line of secondary rails( slays support).
The sides are connected to headboard and footboard with hidden dovetails and locked with wedges.

Attachments

• 57B2F346-212F-4C53-B4CC-736401615E86.jpeg
    57B2F346-212F-4C53-B4CC-736401615E86.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 191
Back